Quantcast

replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

porphyry5
The e option in

:s/\<[a-z]/\u&/ge

duly suppresses the error message if used as a command, but fails when used in the following key mapping in .vimrc

" Type ;c to ConcatenateTitles and accumulate them in register z
:map ;c :s/\<[a-z]/\u&/ge<CR>:s/[ ,.;:'"]//ge<CR>"Zyy

producing "E486: Pattern not found: \<[a-z]" and failing to complete the command string

Why different?

Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

porphyry5
Using vim 7.2 on slackware 13.1
OK, I've traced the problem with the error flag not being suppressed.  It is caused because vim is still using an old version of .vimrc, not the current version, i.e. it is using a version preceding my addition of the e flag to those replace commands.

It does so because of another mapping in my .vimrc

" Type ;q to save all files and close out session
:map ;q :wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

According to :h mksession "When [!] is included an existing file is overwritten."  But that is not happening, and there is no warning message.  I closed out one of my open buffers, and ran that ;q command, then started vim again.  And the buffer that I had specifically closed out was back in the open buffers list.  When I separately rm vim.ses, and then run the ;q command, it creates the vim.ses as expected.

So I decided to rm vim.ses in the mapping, changing it to

:map ;q :!rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

but this caused a warning message to be displayed, requiring me to press Enter to execute the rm, so I changed it again to

:map ;q :silent! rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

which is certainly silent, but doesn't remove the file.

I seem to be going deeper and deeper into a morass with this seemingly simple desire, that Vim should start in exactly the same state it had when I last closed it.  So how should I be doing this?

Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

porphyry5
Well, I think I finally have this figured out.  If I'm using sessions,
any session includes its own .vimrc, being that .vimrc in effect when
the session was first begun.  Then changing the actual .vimrc file has
no effect on the session, because it will never reload the
actual .vimrc.  So if I want to change a mapping in .vimrc, and have
the benefit of that change in my session, I must make the new mapping
explicitly in the current session, as well as in .vimrc.

On Oct 1, 8:13 am, porphyry5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using vim 7.2 on slackware 13.1
> OK, I've traced the problem with the error flag not being suppressed.  It is
> caused because vim is still using an old version of .vimrc, not the current
> version, i.e. it is using a version preceding my addition of the e flag to
> those replace commands.
>
> It does so because of another mapping in my .vimrc
>
> " Type ;q to save all files and close out session
> :map ;q :wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>
>
> According to :h mksession "When [!] is included an existing file is
> overwritten."  But that is not happening, and there is no warning message.
> I closed out one of my open buffers, and ran that ;q command, then started
> vim again.  And the buffer that I had specifically closed out was back in
> the open buffers list.  When I separately rm vim.ses, and then run the ;q
> command, it creates the vim.ses as expected.
>
> So I decided to rm vim.ses in the mapping, changing it to
>
> :map ;q :!rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>
>
> but this caused a warning message to be displayed, requiring me to press
> Enter to execute the rm, so I changed it again to
>
> :map ;q :silent! rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>
>
> which is certainly silent, but doesn't remove the file.
>
> I seem to be going deeper and deeper into a morass with this seemingly
> simple desire, that Vim should start in exactly the same state it had when I
> last closed it.  So how should I be doing this?

Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

Tony Mechelynck
On 02/10/11 16:04, porphyry5 wrote:
> Well, I think I finally have this figured out.  If I'm using sessions,
> any session includes its own .vimrc, being that .vimrc in effect when
> the session was first begun.  Then changing the actual .vimrc file has
> no effect on the session, because it will never reload the
> actual .vimrc.  So if I want to change a mapping in .vimrc, and have
> the benefit of that change in my session, I must make the new mapping
> explicitly in the current session, as well as in .vimrc.

On the contrary, starting Vim with -S will source your vimrc first; but
then it will proceed with your session file, which may override anything
your vimrc has set.

You may use sessions without running :mksession -- a session file is
just a Vim script sourced after your vimrc, usually to set up your
windows and tabs and such. You can create one by hand, e.g. as

cd ~
e file1.txt
new file2.txt
new /path/to/file3.txt
lcd %:h
tabnew /someotherpathto/file4.txt
tabnew file5.txt
tab help
tabnext  " wrap around to first tab
wincmd w " wrap around to first window

You can even name it ~/Session.vim, then "vim -S" or "gvim -S" will run
it; and they will use all the settings of your vimrc too.

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
what it is I'll get married again.
                -- Clint Eastwood

Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

porphyry5
You're right, it does load .vimrc first, because *new* entries made to
that file show up in the session, but modified entries do not, because
they are overwritten, and deleted entries still exist in the session,
because the sessions file restores them.  I really can't see the point
of preserving these relic entries like this, surely one would always
want to be using the most up to date .vimrc in its entirety.  Instead
what one gets is a mixture of the most recent .vimrc and the one in
effect when the session was first created.  That's confusing enough
when one uses only one session, but if you have several of them for
different projects, each using a different mix of .vimrc files?

So I googled for solutions to this problem, and apparently these
entries in vimrc, in the order given, will do the trick, though
deleted entries will still live on in the session, but those present
no problem.

:autocmd!       " Remove ALL autocommands for current group, ensures
subsequent aus will only ever be included once
au! BufWritePost ~/.vimrc source %    " reload .vimrc each time the
file is updated

So now I'm going to kill my current session file and recreate it, and
test this autocommand out.