rubycomplete unusual gem behavior?

Felix Gallo
system: ubuntu linux 10.10
ruby: 1.9.2p180 manually compiled from source
vim: 7.3 manually compiled from source with +ruby option enabled
vim-ruby: latest installed, plus the 0.9 rubycomplete version from the
rubycomplete_updates branch.

$ vi x.rb
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

x = String.new

x.^X^O  -> many correct methods found
^[:q!

$ sudo gem install redis
Successfully installed redis-2.2.0
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for redis-2.2.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for redis-2.2.0...

$ vi y.rb
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
require 'redis'

x = Redis.new

x.^X^O  -> no methods found

Note that

p x.methods

does in fact show all of the methods one might hope from the Redis
class, so it's not a syntax error or no-method problem.

I started trying to debug rubycomplete but unfortunately left my
necronomicon in the tower of mad Alzhazred in the doomed isles and now
my house is infested with shoggoths; thanks Mark Guzman.

F.

Re: rubycomplete unusual gem behavior?

Mark Guzman
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:08:23 -0700, Felix Gallo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Note that
>
> p x.methods

I'm guessing this was run from a script or irb, I'll take a look but
rubycomplete operates
inside Vim's embedded ruby environment which has some unique quirks last I
checked.

> does in fact show all of the methods one might hope from the Redis
> class, so it's not a syntax error or no-method problem.
>
> I started trying to debug rubycomplete but unfortunately left my
> necronomicon in the tower of mad Alzhazred in the doomed isles and now
> my house is infested with shoggoths; thanks Mark Guzman.

I should just toss in "hic sunt dracones" as a prefacing comment.
  --mg

wrote:
> system: ubuntu linux 10.10
> ruby: 1.9.2p180 manually compiled from source
> vim: 7.3 manually compiled from source with +ruby option enabled
> vim-ruby: latest installed, plus the 0.9 rubycomplete version from the
> rubycomplete_updates branch.

I can't replicate this with a similar setup. Please confirm that vim is
actually using the ruby install
you expect.

Here are some vim command outputs you should probably provide if that
isn't the issue:

version
ruby puts RUBY_VERSION
ruby puts $: