ruler / statusline

shawn wilson
it seems that the statusline doesn't show up when i'm only dealing
with one document. i see the line count and the likes. but not the
full statusline. what am i missing?

Re: ruler / statusline

Taylor Hedberg
shawn wilson, Fri 2012-11-02 @ 21:28:33+0000:
> it seems that the statusline doesn't show up when i'm only dealing
> with one document. i see the line count and the likes. but not the
> full statusline. what am i missing?

    :set laststatus=2

Re: ruler / statusline

shawn wilson
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Taylor Hedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> set laststatus=2

is there a way i can do this without taking up another line? i mean,
the position data disappears when i am in command mode, can i have the
laststatus=1 and have the whole thing disappear when in command mode?

and, what is making vim change the bottom laststatus when i split?

Re: ruler / statusline

Benjamin Fritz
On Friday, November 2, 2012 5:11:04 PM UTC-5, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Taylor Hedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > set laststatus=2
>

> is there a way i can do this without taking up another line? i mean,
>
> the position data disappears when i am in command mode, can i have the
>
> laststatus=1 and have the whole thing disappear when in command mode?

Maybe you want to use 'ruler' and 'rulerformat' instead of laststatus=2? I'm confused by your question, though. You asked originally how to get the statusline to show up when you only have one document. Now you want it to show up, but also not show up. What is it that you actually want?

> and, what is making vim change the bottom laststatus when i split?

What do you mean "change the bottom laststatus"? Are you talking about the color of the statusline changing in non-active windows? Or something else?

Re: ruler / statusline

shawn wilson
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday, November 2, 2012 5:11:04 PM UTC-5, shawn wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Taylor Hedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > set laststatus=2
>>

>> is there a way i can do this without taking up another line? i mean,
>>
>> the position data disappears when i am in command mode, can i have the
>>
>> laststatus=1 and have the whole thing disappear when in command mode?
>>

> Maybe you want to use 'ruler' and 'rulerformat' instead of laststatus=2? I'm confused by your question, though. You asked originally how to get the statusline to show up when you only have one document. Now you want it to show up, but also not show up. What is it that you actually want?

i want a status bar that doesn't take up an extra line. so, basically
something that takes up the line where i enter commands and goes away
when i enter commands. rulerformat almost does what i want but it
seems to only allow 18 characters in that space. it's not that big of
a deal, i just like the information statusline gives but want the
extra line of real estate.

>> and, what is making vim change the bottom laststatus when i split?
>
> What do you mean "change the bottom laststatus"? Are you talking about the color of the statusline changing in non-active windows? Or something else?

idk what i was talking about. i seem to remember the bottom statusline
moving up when i split. but i can't reproduce it - so either i was
seeing things, insane, or too tired (probably all of the above).

Re: ruler / statusline

John Little-4
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:42:57 AM UTC+13, shawn wilson wrote:
> rulerformat almost does what i want but it
> seems to only allow 18 characters in that space.

A bit of experimentation, and 40 characters seems to be allowed. I tried

    :set ls=1
    :let &ruf = '%40(' . &stl . '%)'

and there was my status line, without the colours, sitting on the bottom right.
Using 50 gave the same result.

Regards, John Little

Re: ruler / statusline

Antony Scriven-3
On 5 November 2012 17:42, shawn wilson wrote:

 > [...]
 >
 > i want a status bar that doesn't take up an extra line.
 > so, basically something that takes up the line where
 > i enter commands and goes away when i enter commands.
 > rulerformat almost does what i want but it seems to only
 > allow 18 characters in that space. it's not that big of
 > a deal, i just like the information statusline gives but
 > want the extra line of real estate.

Well, this is one of the few things that nvi gets right. If
this is more important to you than anything else, use nvi.
Otherwise `:set ls=2` and suck it up. You might be
bikeshedding a little! :-) --Antony

Re: ruler / statusline

Antony Scriven-3
On 7 November 2012 01:03, John Little wrote:

 > On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:42:57 AM UTC+13, shawn wilson wrote:
 > > rulerformat almost does what i want but it
 > > seems to only allow 18 characters in that space.
 >
 > A bit of experimentation, and 40 characters seems to be
 > allowed. I tried
 >
 >     :set ls=1
 >     :let &ruf = '%40(' . &stl . '%)'
 >
 > and there was my status line, without the colours,
 > sitting on the bottom right. Using 50 gave the same
 > result.

Yeah, last I checked, the maximum allowed by the
%{width}{item} notation was 50-or-so chars. To get round
this I wrote a function to manually pad out the status line
with spaces. (Cos I liked the nvi way of having the line and
col in the centre of the statusline.) --Antony