sessionoptions not restore filetype detection ??

sessionoptions not restore filetype detection ??

Ni Va
Hi,

Using mksession file and these sessionoptions, I don't see why vim does not restore filetype detection after reloading .vim files for example.

Thank you
NiVa

" set sessionoptions=help,resize,winpos,winsize

Re: sessionoptions not restore filetype detection ??

Tony Mechelynck
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:02 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using mksession file and these sessionoptions, I don't see why vim does not restore filetype detection after reloading .vim files for example.
>
> Thank you
> NiVa
>
> " set sessionoptions=help,resize,winpos,winsize

After having a look at that 'sessionoptions' setting and its many
variations (none of those you set BTW, relate to filetype detection),
there's nothing about filetype detection that strikes my eyes.
However, ISTR that "vim -S" sources your vimrc before the session
file, so any "filetype" statement in your vimrc (or, nowadays, the
"filetype plugin indent on" statement in defaults.vim if you don't
have a vimrc) will be executed as well. Are you the kind of person who
changes filetype detection settings (to something else than what your
vimrc had set) long after Vim has started, and expects them to stay
that way even after a reload? Then you have a most unusual use case.

Le mercredi 24 avril 2019 21:18:18 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:02 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using mksession file and these sessionoptions, I don't see why vim does not restore filetype detection after reloading .vim files for example.
> >
> > Thank you
> > NiVa
> >
> > " set sessionoptions=help,resize,winpos,winsize
>
> After having a look at that 'sessionoptions' setting and its many
> variations (none of those you set BTW, relate to filetype detection),
> there's nothing about filetype detection that strikes my eyes.
> However, ISTR that "vim -S" sources your vimrc before the session
> file, so any "filetype" statement in your vimrc (or, nowadays, the
> "filetype plugin indent on" statement in defaults.vim if you don't
> have a vimrc) will be executed as well. Are you the kind of person who
> changes filetype detection settings (to something else than what your
> vimrc had set) long after Vim has started, and expects them to stay
> that way even after a reload? Then you have a most unusual use case.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
Hi Tony,

What I simply notice is that when I comment on this line in my _vimrc:
"set sessionoptions = help, resize, winpos, winsize

Then, the detection of file types works properly.

When I uncomment this line, the detection of file types no longer works.

PS: Sorry but I did not understand everything about where you wanted to take me about the kind of person I am.

PS2: I know this mksession line does not contain anything related to file type detection

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:43 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mercredi 24 avril 2019 21:18:18 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:02 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Using mksession file and these sessionoptions, I don't see why vim does not restore filetype detection after reloading .vim files for example.
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > > NiVa
> > >
> > > " set sessionoptions=help,resize,winpos,winsize
> >
> > After having a look at that 'sessionoptions' setting and its many
> > variations (none of those you set BTW, relate to filetype detection),
> > there's nothing about filetype detection that strikes my eyes.
> > However, ISTR that "vim -S" sources your vimrc before the session
> > file, so any "filetype" statement in your vimrc (or, nowadays, the
> > "filetype plugin indent on" statement in defaults.vim if you don't
> > have a vimrc) will be executed as well. Are you the kind of person who
> > changes filetype detection settings (to something else than what your
> > vimrc had set) long after Vim has started, and expects them to stay
> > that way even after a reload? Then you have a most unusual use case.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> What I simply notice is that when I comment on this line in my _vimrc:
> "set sessionoptions = help, resize, winpos, winsize
>
> Then, the detection of file types works properly.
>
> When I uncomment this line, the detection of file types no longer works.

That hadn't been clear to me on reading your previous post.

> PS: Sorry but I did not understand everything about where you wanted to take me about the kind of person I am.

Then forget it; it was due to misunderstanding what was your problem.

> PS2: I know this mksession line does not contain anything related to file type detection

Now maybe this is relevant, since your 'sessionoptions' setting is
much more restrictive than the default. If you want to find out where
the problem (which could be a documentation problem) exactly sits, try
adding the follwing session (sub-)options one by one to what you
already have:
        options
        tabpages
        buffers
        blank
        folds
        curdir
        terminal
and if by that time there is still no change, removing "winpos". If
and when you get two settinigs differing only by one sub-option, and
one of them restores filetype detection and the other doesn't, then
you'll know which sub-option is responsible. This will allow you to
propose to Bram an additional line or two somewhere between lines 6682
and 6712 of runtime/doc/options.txt in the Vim source master.

Le jeudi 25 avril 2019 02:01:16 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:43 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > After having a look at that 'sessionoptions' setting and its many
> > > variations (none of those you set BTW, relate to filetype detection),
> > > there's nothing about filetype detection that strikes my eyes.
> > > However, ISTR that "vim -S" sources your vimrc before the session
> > > file, so any "filetype" statement in your vimrc (or, nowadays, the
> > > "filetype plugin indent on" statement in defaults.vim if you don't
> > > have a vimrc) will be executed as well. Are you the kind of person who
> > > changes filetype detection settings (to something else than what your
> > > vimrc had set) long after Vim has started, and expects them to stay
> > > that way even after a reload? Then you have a most unusual use case.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tony.
> >
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > What I simply notice is that when I comment on this line in my _vimrc:
> > "set sessionoptions = help, resize, winpos, winsize
> >
> > Then, the detection of file types works properly.
> >
> > When I uncomment this line, the detection of file types no longer works.
>
> That hadn't been clear to me on reading your previous post.
> >

> > PS: Sorry but I did not understand everything about where you wanted to take me about the kind of person I am.
>
> Then forget it; it was due to misunderstanding what was your problem.
> >
> > PS2: I know this mksession line does not contain anything related to file type detection
>
> Now maybe this is relevant, since your 'sessionoptions' setting is
> much more restrictive than the default. If you want to find out where
> the problem (which could be a documentation problem) exactly sits, try
> adding the follwing session (sub-)options one by one to what you
> already have:
>         options
>         tabpages
>         buffers
>         blank
>         folds
>         curdir
>         terminal
> and if by that time there is still no change, removing "winpos". If
> and when you get two settinigs differing only by one sub-option, and
> one of them restores filetype detection and the other doesn't, then
> you'll know which sub-option is responsible. This will allow you to
> propose to Bram an additional line or two somewhere between lines 6682
> and 6712 of runtime/doc/options.txt in the Vim source master.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
After doing dichotomy search tests on session options, it seems that option "buffers" was missing. This works well.

set sessionoptions=help,resize,winsize,winpos,buffers

Thank you for your help Tony!
NiVa