'set paste' toggles 'set ruler': why?

Elijah Griffin
Of all the things the ':set paste' setting does, only ':set noruler'
puzzles me.[*] Why should informational settings be surpressed with a
setting for input?

Can this please, please, be changed?

[*] Alright. The ':set noshowmatch' is also puzzling, but I rarely
    have showmatch enabled.

Elijah

Re: 'set paste' toggles 'set ruler': why?

h_east
Hi Elijah,

2017-3-15(Wed) 8:20:03 UTC+9 Eli the Bearded:
> Of all the things the ':set paste' setting does, only ':set noruler'
> puzzles me.[*] Why should informational settings be surpressed with a
> setting for input?
>
> Can this please, please, be changed?
>
> [*] Alright. The ':set noshowmatch' is also puzzling, but I rarely

This behavior is documented.
:help 'paste'

Hirohito Higashi (a.k.a. h_east)

Re: 'set paste' toggles 'set ruler': why?

Christian Brabandt
Hi Eli!

On Di, 14 Mär 2017, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> Of all the things the ':set paste' setting does, only ':set noruler'
> puzzles me.[*] Why should informational settings be surpressed with a
> setting for input?
>
> Can this please, please, be changed?
>
> [*] Alright. The ':set noshowmatch' is also puzzling, but I rarely
>     have showmatch enabled.

https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/184

Best,
Christian
--
Um Rekursion zu verstehen, muß man erst Rekursion verstanden haben.

h_east <[hidden email]> wrote:
} This behavior is documented.

I am 100% aware that it is documented. What is **not** documented is
why.

Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/184

  | Pasting can involve a large amount of text (someone just complained
  | about pasting more than 1500 lines not working).  Keeping the ruler
  | updated adds overhead and makes pasting a bit slower.  'showmatch'
  | is even more expensive. Setting the 'paste' option is a quick way
  | to make pasting efficient.
  | Original comment by [hidden email] on 14 Jan 2015 at 10:42

Which explains the rational, which is some small consolation.

Elijah