short file names

Samuel Wright
Hi All
Just noticed that a short file name (tmf.otl) does not pick up OTLsyntax and colouring in Vim 6.3 on Win XP.
Is this a VO thing or a Vim thing?
CheersSam

Re: short file names

Stefan Schmiedl
Samuel Wright (2005-10-11 12:08):

> Hi All
> Just noticed that a short file name (tmf.otl) does not pick up
> OTLsyntax and colouring in Vim 6.3 on Win XP.

I tried an outline tmf.otl and another l.otl and it is
handled correctly on Win2k.

s.

Re: short file names

Noel Henson
On Tuesday 11 October 2005 04:08 am, Samuel Wright wrote:
> Hi All
> Just noticed that a short file name (tmf.otl) does not pick up OTLsyntax
> and colouring in Vim 6.3 on Win XP. Is this a VO thing or a Vim thing?
> CheersSam

It works on my Slackware box.

Noel

Re: short file names

Steve Litt
On Tuesday 11 October 2005 07:08 am, Samuel Wright wrote:
> Hi All
> Just noticed that a short file name (tmf.otl) does not pick up OTLsyntax
> and colouring in Vim 6.3 on Win XP. Is this a VO thing or a Vim thing?
> CheersSam

Sam,

Try several other short and long filenames. Perhaps the distinction isn't the
filename's length. Try changing one character at a time of the filename.
Also, be sure it's really .otl, and not .ot1 or something like that.

Try to find out if the problem is the content of the file rather than the
filename. Yes, sounds unlikely, but try.

If it does seem to be length, try to experimentally determine at what length
the symptom toggles. Armed with enough information, we could probably help
you hunt down this bug.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: short file names

Samuel Wright
I cant spend much time on this right now, but for the moment
Yes, the file is an outline, a rename solved the problem.No, it is not the length, the following worked fine
t.otltm.otlsmf.otl
Is there a filetype called *.tmf that vim might use instead of the otlto determine file type?
I can only find
texmf.vimtf.vim
in my syntax directory
Cheers
Sam
> Try several other short and long filenames. Perhaps the distinction isn't the> filename's length. Try changing one character at a time of the filename.> Also, be sure it's really .otl, and not .ot1 or something like that.>> Try to find out if the problem is the content of the file rather than the> filename. Yes, sounds unlikely, but try.>> If it does seem to be length, try to experimentally determine at what length> the symptom toggles. Armed with enough information, we could probably help> you hunt down this bug.>> SteveT

Re: short file names

Ben Armstrong
Sam,

Is your spacebar broken, or is it possible your web browser is doing
strange things to the formatting of your emails?  Your message appeared
to us as I have shown below, with missing spaces indicated by me with a
caret (^) on each following line:

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 15:00 +0100, Samuel Wright wrote:
> I cant spend much time on this right now, but for the moment
> Yes, the file is an outline, a rename solved the problem.No, it is not the length, the following worked fine
                                                           ^
> t.otltm.otlsmf.otl
       ^     ^
           ^
> in my syntax directory
> Cheers
> Sam

It makes it rather difficult to read your posts so long as these spacing
problems continue.  Please see if you can fix it the next time you post.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: short file names

Ben Armstrong
On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:19 -0300, BG - Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Is your spacebar broken, or is it possible your web browser is doing
> strange things to the formatting of your emails?

Oops.  I assumed a web browser is involved because you post using a
GMail address, but I suppose that's not necessarily the case, since
GMail now allows mail to be received and sent using an ordinary mail
client.  So read that as "web browser or other mail client".

Ben

Re: short file names

Samuel Wright
Ben
Yes, I posted from the web interface of gmail. I think it is actuallyline breaks not spaces.Is the text below any better?
Is everybody else having the same problem with my emails?
Sam

I cant spend much time on this right now, but for the moment
Yes, the file is an outline, a rename solved the problem.No, it is not the length, the following worked fine
t.otltm.otlsmf.ot l
Is there a filetype called *.tmf that vim might use instead of the otlto determine file type?
I can only find
texmf.vimtf.vim
in my syntax director
On 11/10/05, BG - Ben Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:19 -0300, BG - Ben Armstrong wrote:> > Is your spacebar broken, or is it possible your web browser is doing> > strange things to the formatting of your emails?>> Oops.  I assumed a web browser is involved because you post using a> GMail address, but I suppose that's not necessarily the case, since> GMail now allows mail to be received and sent using an ordinary mail> client.  So read that as "web browser or other mail client".>> Ben> _______________________________________________> VimOutliner mailing list> [hidden email]> http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner>

Re: short file names

Stefan Schmiedl
Samuel Wright (11.10. 15:46):

> Ben
> Yes, I posted from the web interface of gmail. I think it is actuallyline breaks not spaces.Is the text below any better?

Your setup ignores line breaks completely ...

Open your tmf.otl and execute

    :set syntax

What does it say?

s.