shtags.pl

David Woodfall
I discovered the shtags.pl script today and wondered is it's
compatible with Getopt:Std or could it be adapted to use it?

I've installed Perl4::Corelibs anyway and I'm thinking about making a
slackware build script for it to submit to slackbuilds.org, but if it
will work with Getopt::Std I won't spend time on it.

Dave

Re: shtags.pl

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 30 Mär 2018, David Woodfall wrote:

> I discovered the shtags.pl script today and wondered is it's
> compatible with Getopt:Std or could it be adapted to use it?
>
> I've installed Perl4::Corelibs anyway and I'm thinking about making a
> slackware build script for it to submit to slackbuilds.org, but if it
> will work with Getopt::Std I won't spend time on it.

I guess you are looking for a perl mailinglist and this is not relevant
to Vim, right? If I am wrong, please elaborate a bit more.

Best,
Christian
--
Der Glaube an eine größere und bessere Zukunft ist einer der
mächtigsten Feinde gegenwärtiger Freiheit.

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Sunday 1 April 2018 13:19,
Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>On Fr, 30 Mär 2018, David Woodfall wrote:
>
>> I discovered the shtags.pl script today and wondered is it's
>> compatible with Getopt:Std or could it be adapted to use it?
>>
>> I've installed Perl4::Corelibs anyway and I'm thinking about making a
>> slackware build script for it to submit to slackbuilds.org, but if it
>> will work with Getopt::Std I won't spend time on it.
>
>I guess you are looking for a perl mailinglist and this is not relevant
>to Vim, right? If I am wrong, please elaborate a bit more.
>
>Best,
>Christian

shtags.pl is a tag script that comes as part of vim. It is used to
generate tags for shell scripts. See:

/usr/share/vim/vim80/tools/shtags.pl

Dave

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Monday 2 April 2018 00:39,
Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>On Sunday 1 April 2018 13:19,
>Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
>>
>>On Fr, 30 Mär 2018, David Woodfall wrote:
>>
>>>I discovered the shtags.pl script today and wondered is it's
>>>compatible with Getopt:Std or could it be adapted to use it?
>>>
>>>I've installed Perl4::Corelibs anyway and I'm thinking about making a
>>>slackware build script for it to submit to slackbuilds.org, but if it
>>>will work with Getopt::Std I won't spend time on it.
>>
>>I guess you are looking for a perl mailinglist and this is not relevant
>>to Vim, right? If I am wrong, please elaborate a bit more.
>>
>>Best,
>>Christian
>
>shtags.pl is a tag script that comes as part of vim. It is used to
>generate tags for shell scripts. See:
>
>/usr/share/vim/vim80/tools/shtags.pl
>
>Dave

Well, shell scripts and perl scripts.

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Monday 2 April 2018 00:42,
Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>On Monday 2 April 2018 00:39,
>Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
>>On Sunday 1 April 2018 13:19,
>>Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>>>I guess you are looking for a perl mailinglist and this is not relevant
>>>to Vim, right? If I am wrong, please elaborate a bit more.
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>Christian
>>
>>shtags.pl is a tag script that comes as part of vim. It is used to
>>generate tags for shell scripts. See:
>>
>>/usr/share/vim/vim80/tools/shtags.pl
>>
>>Dave
>
>Well, shell scripts and perl scripts.
Well it works with Getopt::Std in perl 5 with very little change. I
don't know the best way to submit patches for vim, but I've attached
the small patch needed for it to work.

Dave

shtags.patch (538 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Monday 2 April 2018 06:22,
Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>On Monday 2 April 2018 00:42,
>Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
>>On Monday 2 April 2018 00:39,
>>Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
>>>On Sunday 1 April 2018 13:19,
>>>Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>>>shtags.pl is a tag script that comes as part of vim. It is used to
>>>generate tags for shell scripts. See:
>>>
>>>/usr/share/vim/vim80/tools/shtags.pl
>>>
>>>Dave
>>
>>Well, shell scripts and perl scripts.
>
>Well it works with Getopt::Std in perl 5 with very little change. I
>don't know the best way to submit patches for vim, but I've attached
>the small patch needed for it to work.
>
>Dave
Just a small update to change the last modified date/time.

shtags.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: shtags.pl

John Little-4
I was startled to see

# Last Changed: 96/11/27 19:46:06

I tried it on my sundry scripts and it produced nothing, not recognizing bash.
Wait, there's a man page... man man to work out how to see it...

    man -l shtags.1

so
    shtags.pl -s sh -v *.sh

works for me.  If vim continues to distribute this, I think your patch should be applied.  The opinions of the maintainers of {syntax,indent,ftplugin}/sh.vim might be sought.

Regards, John Little

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Monday 2 April 2018 04:45,
John Little <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>I was startled to see
>
># Last Changed: 96/11/27 19:46:06
>
>I tried it on my sundry scripts and it produced nothing, not recognizing bash.
>Wait, there's a man page... man man to work out how to see it...
>
>    man -l shtags.1
>
>so
>    shtags.pl -s sh -v *.sh
>
>works for me.  If vim continues to distribute this, I think your patch should be applied.  The opinions of the maintainers of {syntax,indent,ftplugin}/sh.vim might be sought.
>
>Regards, John Little

I don't have the man page unfortunately. I need to look at the build
script to see why it isn't installed. However, running shtags.pl with
no options shows the usage.

I've been using:

silent ! /usr/share/vim/vim80/tools/shtags.pl -v -s sh %

After doing a test on &ft to make sure it's 'sh' which works for bash
too.

Dave

Re: shtags.pl

John Little-4
> I don't have the man page unfortunately.

I found the man page in

$VIM/runtime/tools/shtags.1

the same place as shtags.pl. It doesn't get installed, my post was partly about mentioning how I accessed it. I imagine that on a vanilla Windows OS nroff style man pages are problematic.

I've sometimes handcrafted tags extractors in the past, and used them a lot, but maybe that doesn't appeal to most; there might be some unfortunate person somewhere maintaining a lot of scripts that will be greatly helped by what you've brought to light.

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall wrote:

> Well it works with Getopt::Std in perl 5 with very little change. I
> don't know the best way to submit patches for vim, but I've attached
> the small patch needed for it to work.

Thanks.  I'll include the second version.

Did you try contacting Stephen Riehm?

--
From "know your smileys":
 :'-D Laughing so much that they're crying

Re: shtags.pl

David Woodfall
On Tuesday 3 April 2018 12:10,
Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

>David Woodfall wrote:
>
>> Well it works with Getopt::Std in perl 5 with very little change. I
>> don't know the best way to submit patches for vim, but I've attached
>> the small patch needed for it to work.
>
>Thanks.  I'll include the second version.
>
>Did you try contacting Stephen Riehm?

No, I didn't. There was no email listed in the file, but I found it
in the man page so I'll drop him a line.