simple gvimrc color defns lost

ArgleFargle
I am using newly-installed vim 8.0.  My _gvimrc is quite simple but does include various syntax-element color definitions, such as:

hi Constant guifg=DarkRed

But these definitions are being over-ridden by something somewhere in the maze of startup files, such that other colors are being applied.

I do not explicitly invoke anything related to syntax highlighting in either _vimrc or _gvimrc.  I have installed no plugins beyond whatever comes in the Vim installation itself.

Why is it that a user's choice of colors would be over-ridden by some file somewhere, one which is presumably meant to *augment* the user's choices, not replace them?  And how does one overcome this puzzling behavior?

Thank you for your time.

simple gvimrc color defns lost

Ben Fritz
Usually highlight colors like this are set in a color scheme file. Do you set the color scheme with a :colors or :colorscheme command somewhere?

Re: simple gvimrc color defns lost

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-05-01, Ben Fritz wrote:
> Usually highlight colors like this are set in a color scheme file.
> Do you set the color scheme with a :colors or :colorscheme command
> somewhere?

I think that the current colorscheme is re-applied when the
termresponse is received.  If that's true, then there needn't be
a :colorscheme for this problem to appear; the re-application of the
default colorscheme could wipe out highlighting set in ~/.vimrc.

Regards,
Gary

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:13:30 PM UTC-7, Ben Fritz wrote:
> Usually highlight colors like this are set in a color scheme file. Do you set the color scheme with a :colors or :colorscheme command somewhere?

No, my setup is as basic as I mentioned, nothing but setting some options in _vimrc and _gvimrc.  Nothing fancy.  I have no knowledge of (or interest in, to be honest) color schemes.  Just a few specific preferences on particular syntax elements.

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:58:16 PM UTC-7, Gary Johnson wrote:
> I think that the current colorscheme is re-applied when the
> termresponse is received.  If that's true, then there needn't be
> a :colorscheme for this problem to appear; the re-application of the
> default colorscheme could wipe out highlighting set in ~/.vimrc.

When you say "problem", are you meaning "something Vim does which is very irritating but experts consider entirely correct because it's documented in some obscure 'help' text"?  Or is there a chance that something could be wrong in Vim's syntax hilighting?

On 2017-05-01, Rob Retter wrote:

> On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:58:16 PM UTC-7, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > I think that the current colorscheme is re-applied when the
> > termresponse is received.  If that's true, then there needn't be
> > a :colorscheme for this problem to appear; the re-application of the
> > default colorscheme could wipe out highlighting set in ~/.vimrc.
>
> When you say "problem", are you meaning "something Vim does which
> is very irritating but experts consider entirely correct because
> it's documented in some obscure 'help' text"?  Or is there
> a chance that something could be wrong in Vim's syntax hilighting?

I meant the former.

Regards,
Gary

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 2:58:16 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2017-05-01, Ben Fritz wrote:
> > Usually highlight colors like this are set in a color scheme file.
> > Do you set the color scheme with a :colors or :colorscheme command
> > somewhere?
>
> I think that the current colorscheme is re-applied when the
> termresponse is received.  If that's true, then there needn't be
> a :colorscheme for this problem to appear; the re-application of the
> default colorscheme could wipe out highlighting set in ~/.vimrc.
>
> Regards,
> Gary
I didn't know that! I normally use gvim. What's the solution then, a VimEnter autocmd? Adding the highlight commands to a colorscheme instead of having them directly in the vimrc?

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 8:15:34 AM UTC-7, Ben Fritz wrote:

> What's the solution then, a VimEnter autocmd? Adding the highlight commands to a colorscheme instead of having them directly in the vimrc?

Yes, that's a very good question.  It's really the reason I asked about this puzzling Vim behavior in the first place.

How *does* one set syntax element colors across multiple syntaxes without Vim deciding you were wrong?

Re: simple gvimrc color defns lost

Greg Vilardi-2
On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 10:11:00AM -0700, Rob Retter wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 8:15:34 AM UTC-7, Ben Fritz wrote:
>
> > What's the solution then, a VimEnter autocmd? Adding the highlight commands to a colorscheme instead of having them directly in the vimrc?
>
> Yes, that's a very good question.  It's really the reason I asked about this puzzling Vim behavior in the first place.
>
> How *does* one set syntax element colors across multiple syntaxes without Vim deciding you were wrong?

Rob,

There's a relatively straightforward way to do this documented in the help
under the colorscheme command. Essentially you need to create your own
colorscheme based on the default one, and then load it instead. The machine I'm
on is running an oldish 7.4 version, so I'm not 100% certain that this hasn't
changed, but ':help colorscheme' would be a good place to start.

Regards,
        -gREG

--
Greg Vilardi               |Technical Lead         E-mail:[hidden email]
USnail: 354 Indian Head Rd |Vormittag Associates, Inc.   Home:(631)864-1310