slight correction in online help under Magic \V

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

slight correction in online help under Magic \V

L. A. Walsh
This sentence:

Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
terminating character (/ or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"

Should be:

Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and
terminating characters have a special meaning.  "very nomagic"

Example:
    pattern:    "The example file is /etc/passwd?"
    :s!\V/etc/passwd?!/etc_passwd\!!
    Becomes:    "The example file is /etc_passwd!"

(Point: terminator is not always '/' or '?')
-linda


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: slight correction in online help under Magic \V

Gary Johnson-4
On 2018-12-24, L A Walsh wrote:

> This sentence:
>
> Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
> terminating character (/ or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
>
> Should be:
>
> Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and
> terminating characters have a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
>
> Example:
>    pattern:    "The example file is /etc/passwd?"
>    :s!\V/etc/passwd?!/etc_passwd\!!
>    Becomes:    "The example file is /etc_passwd!"
>
> (Point: terminator is not always '/' or '?')

I think that the reference to '/' and '?' should remain, at least as
examples of terminating characters.  Otherwise, the reader is likely
left wondering what the heck a terminating character is.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: slight correction in online help under Magic \V

Bram Moolenaar
In reply to this post by L. A. Walsh

Linda Walsh wrote:

> This sentence:
>
> Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
> terminating character (/ or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
>
> Should be:
>
> Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and
> terminating characters have a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
>
> Example:
>     pattern:    "The example file is /etc/passwd?"
>     :s!\V/etc/passwd?!/etc_passwd\!!
>     Becomes:    "The example file is /etc_passwd!"
>
> (Point: terminator is not always '/' or '?')

Right, it can be another character.  But only that character, not
several.  Perhaps this is clearer:

Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
terminating character (usually / or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
                                -- Michael Davis -- "Tonight Show"

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: slight correction in online help under Magic \V

L. A. Walsh
On 12/24/2018 10:16 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
> terminating character (usually / or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
>
>  
"Use of "\V" means that in the remaining pattern, only a backslash and
 terminating character (usually / or ?) have special meaning.  "Very
nomagic"

1) 'comma' after first clause
2) 'a' instead 'the', as the use of a backslash isn't limited to one usage,
3) 'terminating character' ("specifier dropped" as specifier for other
subject
   ('a') is distributed over both subject-nouns;
   (OR: "the corresponding, terminating character"; felt it read better
without
   the extra word)
4) 'have' instead of 'has' (subject-verb quantity agreement)
5) "special meaning" is a property, not a thing,
   like "has magic" or "does not have magic", but not
   "has a magic" or "does not have a magic"



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: slight correction in online help under Magic \V

Bram Moolenaar

Linda Walsh wrote:

> On 12/24/2018 10:16 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Use of "\V" means that in the pattern after it only the backslash and the
> > terminating character (usually / or ?) has a special meaning.  "very nomagic"
> >
> >  
> "Use of "\V" means that in the remaining pattern, only a backslash and
>  terminating character (usually / or ?) have special meaning.  "Very
> nomagic"
>
> 1) 'comma' after first clause
> 2) 'a' instead 'the', as the use of a backslash isn't limited to one usage,
> 3) 'terminating character' ("specifier dropped" as specifier for other
> subject
>    ('a') is distributed over both subject-nouns;
>    (OR: "the corresponding, terminating character"; felt it read better
> without
>    the extra word)
> 4) 'have' instead of 'has' (subject-verb quantity agreement)
> 5) "special meaning" is a property, not a thing,
>    like "has magic" or "does not have magic", but not
>    "has a magic" or "does not have a magic"

Thanks for taking a close look and making corrections.  I think there
are a few remaining unclarities.  It may be semantically correct, but it
doesn't mean it's clear to the reader (and for many readers English is a
second language).

How about this (also including the text for \v, since it's similar):

Use of "\v" means that after it, all ASCII characters except '0'-'9', 'a'-'z',
'A'-'Z' and '_' have special meaning: "very magic"

Use of "\V" means that after it, only a backslash and terminating character
(usually / or ?) have special meaning: "very nomagic"

--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
56. You leave the modem speaker on after connecting because you think it
    sounds like the ocean wind...the perfect soundtrack for "surfing the net".

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.