slightly OT: advanced arrow keys

owen beresford
hi
a few months ago my workstation was forcably upgraded to rh-fc2.
I suppose Im lucky to get a linux workstation, but I still loose alot of
time with broken configs.

the only installed terminal emulator is konsole

in gvim <ctrl-leftarrow> moves one word to the left (and same with right
etc)
inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates <C-Right>

in vim, feed with the same config, it doesn't work
inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates ^[OC
this is the same as <ctrl-v><rightarrow>

therefore the terminal doesn't understand/ passthrough control with
arrow keys
I have tried all of "linux console", "xterm (Xfree 4.x.x)" and "vt420pc"
keyboard ?languages? with no noticable change.
i read xmodmap docs but just got confused

Although the issue is with Konsole not vim, does anyone have
recommendations?
TIA

ps: thanks for the new PHP indent file
--
  owen beresford

http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
                          or over the web

Re: slightly OT: advanced arrow keys

Barry Rountree
On Tuesday 14 June 2005 08:41 am, owen beresford wrote:
> hi
> in vim, feed with the same config, it doesn't work
> inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates ^[OC
> this is the same as <ctrl-v><rightarrow>

Confirmed with Mandrake 10.something, konsole 1.3.1 with kde3.2.
And Ubuntu with konsole 1.5 on kde 3.4.

However, I tried it running vim from an xterm and couldn't get that to work
either.

Try setting your TERM to be linux and see if that helps.  If you're using
bash,
        export TERM=linux

That gets <ctrl-v> working to induce visual mode, though <ctrl-[L|R]arrow>
only moves one space at a time.

Barry

>   owen beresford

Re: slightly OT: advanced arrow keys

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia wtorek 14 czerwiec 2005 14:41, owen beresford napisa?:
> hi
> a few months ago my workstation was forcably upgraded to rh-fc2.
> I suppose Im lucky to get a linux workstation, but I still loose alot of
> time with broken configs.
>
> the only installed terminal emulator is konsole

I have Konsole 1.6beta (from KDE HEAD).
What is your version?

> in gvim <ctrl-leftarrow> moves one word to the left (and same with right
> etc)
> inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates <C-Right>
>
> in vim, feed with the same config, it doesn't work
> inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates ^[OC
> this is the same as <ctrl-v><rightarrow>

For me it returns
<C-V><C-Right>
^[[1;5C

<C-V><Right>
^[OC

With $TERM as xterm and and Keytab (XTerm(XFree 4.x.x)). And I am able
to map <C-Right> (although I prefer <C-Arrows> for moving tabs :)

This may be recent improvement, I remember unsuccessful tests in the past.

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 15 May)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net

Re: slightly OT: advanced arrow keys

owen beresford

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:24:08 +0200, "Mikolaj Machowski" <[hidden email]>
said:

> Dnia wtorek 14 czerwiec 2005 14:41, owen beresford napisa&#322;:
> > hi
> > a few months ago my workstation was forcably upgraded to rh-fc2.
> > I suppose Im lucky to get a linux workstation, but I still loose alot of
> > time with broken configs.
> >
> > the only installed terminal emulator is konsole
>
> I have Konsole 1.6beta (from KDE HEAD).
> What is your version?
> >
> > in gvim <ctrl-leftarrow> moves one word to the left (and same with right
> > etc)
> > inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates <C-Right>
> >
> > in vim, feed with the same config, it doesn't work
> > inside edit/insert mode, a <ctrl-v><ctrl-rightarrow> generates ^[OC
> > this is the same as <ctrl-v><rightarrow>
>
> For me it returns
> <C-V><C-Right>
> ^[[1;5C
>
> <C-V><Right>
> ^[OC
>
> With $TERM as xterm and and Keytab (XTerm(XFree 4.x.x)). And I am able
> to map <C-Right> (although I prefer <C-Arrows> for moving tabs :)
>
> This may be recent improvement, I remember unsuccessful tests in the
> past.

my $TERM is already "xterm" by default
do national keyboards/ $LOCALE make any difference to this?
$LOCALE=en_GB

# konsole -v
Qt: 3.3.4
KDE: 3.3.1-2.12.FC3 Red Hat
Konsole: 1.4.1
will upgrade this

as vim and gvim are different binaries, is there a vim module for
keyboards ?

TIA
--
  owen beresford

http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

Re: slightly OT: advanced arrow keys

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia ?roda 15 czerwiec 2005 14:38, owen beresford napisa?:

> > This may be recent improvement, I remember unsuccessful tests in the
> > past.
>
> my $TERM is already "xterm" by default
> do national keyboards/ $LOCALE make any difference to this?
> $LOCALE=en_GB

$LOCALE=pl_PL

But from my experience looks like non-en locale rather destroys such
features rather than improve situation :)

> # konsole -v
> Qt: 3.3.4
> KDE: 3.3.1-2.12.FC3 Red Hat
> Konsole: 1.4.1
> will upgrade this

If possible I would give a try to that (upgrading). Konsole backend
improvements aren't heralded (contrary to GUI) but they exists. So, if
in your environment you can upgrade Konsole (or whole KDE) - try it.

> as vim and gvim are different binaries, is there a vim module for
> keyboards ?

One big binary (compiled locally).