smallest dos version?

David M. Besonen-3
hi all,

can someone point me to the smallest dos vim
executable?  i don't care what version it is, i just
want it as small as possible.  i have some work i need
to do off of a floppy.

thanks,
david

Re: smallest dos version?

A.J.Mechelynck

Re: smallest dos version?

JohannS-2
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:29:54AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> [...]

At the risk of incurring Bram's wrath with this suggestion, it is hard
to beat the obsolete Vim 3.0, if you need to leave a lot of space free
on a floppy.  This is back in the days when Vim stood for Vi IMitation
instead of Vi IMproved.  Most powerful features, including most of ex
mode, are not supported and the help system is very minimal, but this
version consisted of a tiny Vim.exe file and a small, optional Vim.hlp
help file.  There will be Vi incompatibilities and maybe some quirks but
it is surprising how many vim features like visual mode and multiple
windows are already present.  I still use Vim 3 from time to time on
ancient systems and it is adequate for little files, IMHO.

If you are using a newer version of Vim consider obtaining an executable
compressor like the old "pklite" program.  This slows down starting the
editor but can squeeze some extra free space on a floppy.

Re: smallest dos version?

Tim Chase-2
> At the risk of incurring Bram's wrath with this suggestion, it
>  is hard to beat the obsolete Vim 3.0, if you need to leave a
> lot of space free on a floppy.  This is back in the days when
> Vim stood for Vi IMitation

Well, there are also other vi clones that may take up less space,
depending on which functionality you don't mind giving up.  While
this is the vim list, there are other such as Elvis, Vile,
Stevie, etc.  I had a vi clone that ran on my Apple II computer
with its whopping 64k of memory and massive 360k floppies (I
believe it was part of the the Pascal compiler), so you *can* get
some sort of vi functionality in fairly little space.

Re: smallest dos version?

Steve Vance
--- In [hidden email], "David M. Besonen" <davidb@p...> wrote:
 > want it as small as possible.  i have some work i need
 > to do off of a floppy.

If your computer with the floppy also happens to have a CD-ROM drive,
you could download a "run from CD" version of Linux, of which Knoppix is
the most well-known. Go to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
for more information. With it you get the latest version of vim, among
(many) other things. No hard drive required. Of course, you don't say
why you have only a floppy, but this might be helpful.

   stv

Re: smallest dos version?

Tim Chase-2
If you're willing to use other flavors of vi, "xvi" is one of the
smallest dos versions I've found, clocking in at about 120k.
It's just got basic functionality, but it'll do the job and still
leave you room on a floppy for other stuff.  You can find it
available on Thomer Gil's "Vi Lovers Home Page" at

http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html

It's also a little tight with memory and may have trouble with
files larger than a standard Dos memory segment (64k, if my
memory serves, possibly minus any memory used by the program).

Re[2]: smallest dos version?

Alan G Isaac
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005, Tim Chase apparently wrote:
> "xvi" is one of the
> smallest dos versions I've found, clocking in at about 120k.
> It's just got basic functionality, but it'll do the job and still
> leave you room on a floppy for other stuff.  You can find it
> available on Thomer Gil's "Vi Lovers Home Page" at
> http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html

That page also links to "traditional vi"
http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/
which is small and appears to be based on
the original Unix source.  I've no idea if it
compiles for DOS...

fwiw,
Alan