someone is stealing my F11 key

toothpik
apology #1:  I've fought this battle before and I don't remember the solution

apology #2:  of the list of suspects as to who is stealing my F11 key, vim is the
first to be eliminated since F11 does for gvim just what I ask it to

due to hardware failure I did a fresh install of opensuse leap 42.2 on a new harddrive

now, in vim, in konsole, in kwin, in kde, in leap 42.2 when I press F11 the window
maximizes and if I press it again it resets

can someone by any chance here tell me which of the above suspects is stealing my
F11 and how to make them stop?

Re: someone is stealing my F11 key

Tim Chase
On 2016-12-15 15:21, tooth pik wrote:
> now, in vim, in konsole, in kwin, in kde, in leap 42.2 when I press
> F11 the window
> maximizes and if I press it again it resets
>
> can someone by any chance here tell me which of the above suspects
> is stealing my
> F11 and how to make them stop?

I'd first check by running (non-g)vim in an alternate terminal
emulator such as xterm or rxvt instead of your konsole.  If that
works, then I'd point the finger at konsole.  If that doesn't work
(i.e., it still maximizes), you might have some system-wide setting in
KDE that does it.  I'd expect that, if that's the case, you have to
dig in KDE settings to disable it.  On my machine (non-g)vim in an
xterm/rxvt within fluxbox sees the <F11> as expected.

If it's in your konsole, you'd have to dig in your settings there; if
it's your KDE, you'd have to dig in those settings.

Re: someone is stealing my F11 key

toothpik
indeed

under xterm, which also runs under kwin, kde, leap42.2, plasma5, gtk2 and...

anyway under xterm vim's F11 does just what I ask it to in my .vimrc

and I've looked and looked in konsole's settings so far to no avail

also in configure desktop

On 2016-12-15 15:21, tooth pik wrote:
> now, in vim, in konsole, in kwin, in kde, in leap 42.2 when I press
> F11 the window
> maximizes and if I press it again it resets
>
> can someone by any chance here tell me which of the above suspects
> is stealing my
> F11 and how to make them stop?

I'd first check by running (non-g)vim in an alternate terminal
emulator such as xterm or rxvt instead of your konsole.  If that
works, then I'd point the finger at konsole.  If that doesn't work
(i.e., it still maximizes), you might have some system-wide setting in
KDE that does it.  I'd expect that, if that's the case, you have to
dig in KDE settings to disable it.  On my machine (non-g)vim in an
xterm/rxvt within fluxbox sees the <F11> as expected.

If it's in your konsole, you'd have to dig in your settings there; if
it's your KDE, you'd have to dig in those settings.

Re: someone is stealing my F11 key

Reid Thompson
On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 15:43 -0600, tooth pik wrote:
> indeed

> under xterm, which also runs under kwin, kde, leap42.2, plasma5, gtk2 and...

> anyway under xterm vim's F11 does just what I ask it to in my .vimrc

> and I've looked and looked in konsole's settings so far to no avail

> also in configure desktop

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754809  may be of use

or

https://www.google.com/search?q=kde+f11&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Re: someone is stealing my F11 key

Michael Henry-5
On 12/15/2016 04:48 PM, Reid Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 15:43 -0600, tooth pik wrote:
>> indeed
>>
>> under xterm, which also runs under kwin, kde, leap42.2, plasma5, gtk2
and...

>> anyway under xterm vim's F11 does just what I ask it to in my .vimrc
>>
>> and I've looked and looked in konsole's settings so far to no avail
>>
>> also in configure desktop
>

> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754809  may be of use
>
> or
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=kde+f11&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

It's the shortcut key for KDE's Konsole that invokes full-screen
mode.  You can configure that via Konsole's menus: Settings,
Configure Shortcuts, find the "Full Screen Mode" under "Action"
and delete or modify the keyboard shortcut.

Michael Henry

Re: someone is stealing my F11 key

toothpik
how in blazes did I miss that!?

I guess every time I hit Settings I got distracted by Configure Konsole

thank you michael