speeding up scrolling on the command-line

speeding up scrolling on the command-line

Hari Krishna Dara

If there is a lot of output for a command we normally like to see the
more prompt by having the 'more' option set. But say, I want to disable
the 'more' prompt and let the output scroll off, is there a setting I
can tinker to make the scrolling "feel" faster or even better completely
disappear (which means I don't care what the output is)? I know, the
first thing that comes into mind is the :silent command, but
unfortunately this is not suitable for me, so please think of any other
way other than using :silent. I was looking at the t_xx settings, such
as 't_CP', but don't know what values I can set them to. I tried
clearing t_CP, but it made no difference in gvim on windows. I also
tried settings such as 'nottyscroll' and 'nottyfast' to see if it feels
"faster", but these settings don't seem to be used for command-line
scrolling. Any help will be appreciated.

--
Thank you,
Hari

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions ? no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: speeding up scrolling on the command-line

Hari Krishna Dara

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 at 11:53pm, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I am already setting 'nomore', that is how I am letting it scroll t
hrough without seeing the more prompt.  The problem is it takes a long
time to scroll through when there are a lot of lines.

> Note that if the reason you don't want ":silent" is because you want to see
> the errors and warnings, then you can do one of the following:
>
> (a) if the errors and warnings are output by ":echomsg" and/or ":echoerr"
> you can still see them (or the latest twenty of them anyway) in the output
> of the ":messages" command.
>
> (b) To see (but only afterwards) all or part of what is output by ordinary
> ":echo", use both ":silent" and ":redir", as follows:
>
>     :redir @x
>     :silent MyFancyUserCommand
>     :redir END
>     " the whole output of MyFancyUserCommand,
>     " which has not been seen, is now in register x
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

The reason I didn't want to use redir is that, it causes my map to fail.
I need this solution to make my tagselect.vim plugin to work more
smoother. The plugin redirects the output of :ts to a window, and to
later go to a selected tag, it has to execute :ts again, but this time
with the tag number as input. To do this, it creates a temporary map
something like this:

nnoremap <F12> :ts<CR>5<CR>

The above when executed with normal!, automatically selects the 5th tag,
but this for some reason doesn't work at all if executed with silent. I
really need it to just scroll through faster, I guess. In vim7, I am
aware  that there are functions to access tags, but I don't know if
there are functions to even select, but in any case I will appreciate a
solution for vim6.3.