spell check files

Steve
Dear vimers,

I'm currently doing some cleaning in my ~/.vim.

Just noticed that my spell file are really old (2013):

      83 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add
     192 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add.spl
  570549 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.spl
  556477 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.sug
    2761 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add
    4481 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add.spl
  571627 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.spl
 2324315 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.sug

Was wandering if updated french spell file existed. Haven't found
anything like it on the Net. Is there a way within vim to update those?
Would be really practical.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Best,
Steve

Re: spell check files

Erik Christiansen
On 24.11.18 17:46, Steve wrote:

> Dear vimers,
>
> I'm currently doing some cleaning in my ~/.vim.
>
> Just noticed that my spell file are really old (2013):
>
>      83 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add
>     192 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add.spl
>  570549 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.spl
>  556477 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.sug
>    2761 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add
>    4481 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add.spl
>  571627 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.spl
> 2324315 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.sug
>

> Was wandering if updated french spell file existed. Haven't found
> anything like it on the Net. Is there a way within vim to update those?
> Would be really practical.
>
> Any suggestions?

Failing to find any info at ":h new-spell" or ":h spell", I'd be tempted
to hide the French spell files in an effort to trigger Vim's response on
invoking a previously unused spell language. E.g. when I first tried
Danish Vim responded:

»
Cannot find spell file for "da" in utf-8
Do you want me to try downloading it?
                                                # Answered y <CR>
Downloading da.utf-8.spl...
:!curl 'http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/da.utf-8.spl' -o '/tmp/v5STjcI/0.spl'
«

A quick glance at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
shows there's a new French spl from February this year.

Erik

Re: spell check files

Steve wrote:

> I'm currently doing some cleaning in my ~/.vim.
>
> Just noticed that my spell file are really old (2013):
>
>       83 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add
>      192 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add.spl
>   570549 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.spl
>   556477 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.sug
>     2761 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add
>     4481 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add.spl
>   571627 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.spl
>  2324315 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.sug
>

> Was wandering if updated french spell file existed. Haven't found
> anything like it on the Net. Is there a way within vim to update those?
> Would be really practical.
>
> Any suggestions?

You should be able to find them on the ftp server:
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/

I'm not sure if the French ones were actually updated from recent
(OpenOffice) spell files.

--
SIGFUN -- signature too funny (core dumped)

Re: spell check files

Steve
Dear Bram and Erik,

Le 25-11-2018, à 07:55:39 +0100, Bram Moolenaar a écrit :

>You should be able to find them on the ftp server:
>http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
>
>I'm not sure if the French ones were actually updated from recent
>(OpenOffice) spell files.

It was, but the difference is really tiny.

Thank you,

Best,
Steve

Re: spell check files

Dominique Pellé
Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> > I'm currently doing some cleaning in my ~/.vim.
> >
> > Just noticed that my spell file are really old (2013):
> >
> >       83 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add
> >      192 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add.spl
> >   570549 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.spl
> >   556477 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.sug
> >     2761 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add
> >     4481 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add.spl
> >   571627 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.spl
> >  2324315 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.sug
> >

> > Was wandering if updated french spell file existed. Haven't found
> > anything like it on the Net. Is there a way within vim to update those?
> > Would be really practical.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> You should be able to find them on the ftp server:
> http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
>
> I'm not sure if the French ones were actually updated from recent
> (OpenOffice) spell files.

The French dictionary has switched from myspell to
hunspell a long time ago. The French hunspell
dictionary is very well maintained, and has greatly
improved over the last few years, thanks to the
following web site:

https://grammalecte.net/home.php?prj=fr

The up-to-date Hunspell dictionary is used by LibreOffice,
Firefox, etc. However, Vim does not support enough
hunspell features to upgrade its builtin Vim French
dictionary.

The above page still has the obsolete myspell download
link, but it has not been updated since 2008, unlike the
hunspell dictionary which is updated very few months.

Regards
Dominique

Re: spell check files

Bram Moolenaar

Dominique wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Steve wrote:
> >
> > > I'm currently doing some cleaning in my ~/.vim.
> > >
> > > Just noticed that my spell file are really old (2013):
> > >
> > >       83 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add
> > >      192 déc  6  2013 en.utf-8.add.spl
> > >   570549 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.spl
> > >   556477 fév 15  2013 en.utf-8.sug
> > >     2761 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add
> > >     4481 nov 24 10:37 fr.utf-8.add.spl
> > >   571627 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.spl
> > >  2324315 fév 15  2013 fr.utf-8.sug
> > >

> > > Was wandering if updated french spell file existed. Haven't found
> > > anything like it on the Net. Is there a way within vim to update those?
> > > Would be really practical.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > You should be able to find them on the ftp server:
> > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
> >
> > I'm not sure if the French ones were actually updated from recent
> > (OpenOffice) spell files.
>
> The French dictionary has switched from myspell to
> hunspell a long time ago. The French hunspell
> dictionary is very well maintained, and has greatly
> improved over the last few years, thanks to the
> following web site:
>
> https://grammalecte.net/home.php?prj=fr
>
> The up-to-date Hunspell dictionary is used by LibreOffice,
> Firefox, etc. However, Vim does not support enough
> hunspell features to upgrade its builtin Vim French
> dictionary.

What features are we missing?

Hunspell has gone a bit crazy in adding more features...

> The above page still has the obsolete myspell download
> link, but it has not been updated since 2008, unlike the
> hunspell dictionary which is updated very few months.

--
BRIDGEKEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ARTHUR:       What do you mean?  An African or European swallow?