Quantcast

ssh in vim?

moses nesamony
Hi,
  i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh) and then opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly connect to the server by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to vim. So thats y this need. wil netrw plugin be able to accomplish that?

-- Moses

Re: ssh in vim?

Tony Mechelynck

moses nesamony wrote:
> Hi,
>   i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh) and then
> opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly connect to the server
> by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to vim. So thats y this need. wil
> netrw plugin be able to accomplish that?
>
> -- Moses

Try
        :help pi_netrw.txt
        /ssh
etc.

Just go with the flow control, roll with the crunches, and, when you
get a prompt, type like hell.

Re: ssh in vim?

johne1
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
moses nesamony wrote:

Hi,
  i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh) and then
opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly connect to the server
by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to vim. So thats y this need. wil
netrw plugin be able to accomplish that?

-- Moses

Try
	:help pi_netrw.txt
	/ssh
etc.

Replace /ssh with the command to run putty.

Alternate solution:
-------------------

If the server has gVim on it, try the following:

1. Run Xming on your Windows (PuTTY) machine; that's X-server for Windows and it's FREE

2. Configure PuTTY to tunnel X11 (and save the Profile for re-use)

3. Open the connection, login to the server, and run gvim at the commandline.

Hope that helps.

John

Re: ssh in vim?

Pete Johns-2
On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:20:49 +0530, moses nesamony sent:
>Hi,
> i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh)
>and then opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly
>connect to the server by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to
>vim. So thats y this need. wil netrw plugin be able to
>accomplish that?

There are two approaches to this. It depends on if you want to
run gVim on your desktop or on the server (displayed on your
desktop).

For the former: See Vim Tip 1181 (Using PuTTY['s] pscp with Vim)
<http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1181>, paying attention to the
the comment about removing the single quotes in Vim 7 (I wrote
the tip when I was using v6). If you are using pagent, then you
shouldn't be asked for any passwords when you edit a file like
this:

    :e scp://myusername@myserver/mydirectory/myfile

For the latter: This is a little more complicated as you will
need gvim on the server (which you should be able to compile if
it's not already installed) AND you'll need to have X11 enabled
on the server, which may be out of your control, although it is
enabled by default. You will also need an X server running on
your local machine, such as the one in Cygwin. This has the
benefit of being able to run commands like ':make' on the remote
machine.

Hope this helps;

--paj

--
Pete Johns                                   <http://johnsy.com/>
Contact Information                  <http://johnsy.com/contact/>

Re: ssh in vim?

Charles E Campbell Jr

moses nesamony wrote:

> Hi,
>   i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh) and then
> opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly connect to the server
> by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to vim. So thats y this need.
> wil netrw plugin be able to accomplish that?

See  :help netrw-putty  and  :help netrw-p8 .

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: ssh in vim?

John Ellard wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> moses nesamony wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>   i work in office by connecting to the server via putty(ssh) and then
>>> opening vim. Is there anyway that i can directly connect to the server
>>> by doing ssh thru gvim. I prefer gvim to vim. So thats y this need. wil
>>> netrw plugin be able to accomplish that?
>>>
>>> -- Moses
>>>

>> Try
>> :help pi_netrw.txt
>> /ssh
>> etc.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>>

> Replace /ssh with the command to run putty.
[...]

/ssh (as used above) is the Vim command to search the netrw helpfile for the
string "ssh". You can use /putty instead, just to see the search results for
that. Or you could even use

        /ssh\|putty

to do both searches at the same time. However the search I originally gave
would, among others, have yielded the line

                (Dudley Fox) Most people I know use putty for windows ssh.  It

APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection.  It is the language of
the future for the problems of the past: it creates a new generation of
coding bums.