strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

Steve Felt
I have Fedora Linux Core (3.92 test/pre-release) with vim version 6.3.71
This is basically a fresh install with no custom mappings.

This is vim right from a terminal: no gvim, no X windows.

Usually in visual mode,
'a
means "go to mark a". But not here. When I press the ' (that's a single
quote, not a back tick) while in visual mode, it does something really
strange. Sorta pauses, tries to insert the characters in register * and
gets crazy... says "mark not set" when I press another key. Also does
weird things while I'm in insert mode:  dumps out a few characters
(what's in the * buffer) THEN says something about "mark not set".

When I open a file containing ' and do
g a
While in visual, it returns:
<'> 39, Hex 27, Octal 047

If I type
<c-v> '
While in insert mode, I get:
^[[P'
Where the ^[ is blue...

--

-steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

Steve Felt
This only happens when I'm sitting in front of the machine. If I connect
to it via ssh, this problem does not occur.

Any ideas?

-steve

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 18:01, Steve Felt wrote:

> I have Fedora Linux Core (3.92 test/pre-release) with vim version 6.3.71
> This is basically a fresh install with no custom mappings.
>
> This is vim right from a terminal: no gvim, no X windows.
>
> Usually in visual mode,
> 'a
> means "go to mark a". But not here. When I press the ' (that's a single
> quote, not a back tick) while in visual mode, it does something really
> strange. Sorta pauses, tries to insert the characters in register * and
> gets crazy... says "mark not set" when I press another key. Also does
> weird things while I'm in insert mode:  dumps out a few characters
> (what's in the * buffer) THEN says something about "mark not set".
>
> When I open a file containing ' and do
> g a
> While in visual, it returns:
> <'> 39, Hex 27, Octal 047
>
> If I type
> <c-v> '
> While in insert mode, I get:
> ^[[P'
> Where the ^[ is blue...
--

-steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

Aaron Griffin
On 6/13/05, Steve Felt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This only happens when I'm sitting in front of the machine. If I connect
> to it via ssh, this problem does not occur.
>
> Any ideas?

hmmm what terminals are you using in both cases?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

Steve Felt
On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 14:43, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Steve Felt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This only happens when I'm sitting in front of the machine. If I connect
> > to it via ssh, this problem does not occur.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> hmmm what terminals are you using in both cases?

[[ sitting at the box ]]
set | grep -i term
TERM=linux

[[ ssh connection to the box ]]
set | grep -i term
TERM=xterm


--

-steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange ' behavior (that's a single quote)

Steve Felt
On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 15:21, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > [[ sitting at the box ]]
> > set | grep -i term
> > TERM=linux
>
> > [[ ssh connection to the box ]]
> > set | grep -i term
> > TERM=xterm
>
> with the same settings I don't have an issue... hmmm are your
> termcap/info files up to date... *shrug* I'm stabbing in the dark now
> (ouch, my kidney)
>
> are you binding *any* keys at all that may have an effect on that?
>
> do you have X installed on the box? is so, try running it in X (seeing
> the TERM-linux, I have a feeling you don't) under and xterm... it
> might be the keyboard.....

I haven't customized termcap/(term)?info. Neither have I ever meddled in
these files before. There's a big--BIG termcap file in /etc...

If I might impose just a tiny bit more...

How can I tell whether they're "up-to-date"? I'm not binding any keys
that might affect this (to my knowledge -- how can I check?)

Approximately what am I looking for? This stuff is gibberish to me:
In /etc/termcap, there's a line that has "linux" followed by :ve=\E[
(and lots more stuff)

X is not installed...

Thanks bunches!
--

-steve