success story: vo on the move...

Peter Princz
Hello world,

just wanted to share some very positive experiences with you.
Now that I've changed employer last/this week, I had to return my
corporate laptop, cellular phone, etc. to the old employer and got new
equipment from the new employer.

However, despite there was no gap in employment (Friday the last day
on the old place, next Monday at the new job), one has to return the
equipment a few days before as part of the exit process (Wednesday is
my case), and will get a new one a few days later (next  Tuesday in my
case).

So there was an approx. one week long black tunnel where I didn't have
any access to any computer, but had lot-lot-lot to do, and -of course,
as always- everything was in a vimoutliner file!

I had to return my cellular phone, buy a new subscription with a new
phone number after 5+ years that no one knows now, and finally, the
new workplace is in another town, so there were tasks I simply _had_
to complete until my very last day with that company.

What could I do?

1. Burn a cd with my outline file and all of the installed plugins,
mappings, vim and vimoutliner resource files, to be able to reproduce
the environment as fast as possible on the new place.

2. Print out the outline file and staple it as a book. (300 pages
long!) Do a :marks and jot down the line numbers of the most important
bookmarks to the cover page. For me, :hardcopy prints out the line
numbers too, so finding the most important chapters in the book was
not difficult at all. Only I had to use line numbers instead of page
numbers, otherwise it was just a 300 pages long book with TOC, really.
For the fastest access, I attached real bookmarks to the book: little
post-it stickers with bookmark names written on them. Access was
almost an instant as using a computer, amazing!

3. Get a _red_ pen to be able to spot my notes later on the pages easily.

4. Use my outline file ("The BrainBook" :) offline for approx. a week,
",,cx"-ing manually the tasks. Some tasks were added, the tree
deepened, as I'd do with vimoutliner. I even reserved an evening just
reading my BrainDump as a book, looking it from another perspective,
tidying out parts, realised similar islands in the file that could be
joined into one branch, etc. These were jotted down with arrows,
remarks, and pointers to line numbers or chapter texts...

5. Once on the new place, I recreated my vim&vimoutliner environment
in an hour, and copied back the outline file from cd, thus arriving
into the state where I was at my old place.

6. Finally I did a "roll forward" from the paper-based outline file
into vimoutliner by turning the book page-by-page and crossing the
completed items in the file. I could use the line numbers again to
jump quickly to the places I modified on paper. But only in the
beginning, since line numbers got outdated once I started to
reorganise the file a bit, based on my notes. Still, it took no more
than 30 minutes and I'm up-to-date, and everything was completed that
needed to be done in maybe the most critical week of my life recently.

Looking back, this year I've changed the place of living and place of
work, two very serious physical moves that happens rarely in people's
lives (at least here), and vimoutliner proved to be a survival kit in
both instances.

The new point is that vimoutliner is very close to what I would do
without a computer, so it can help you out when you don't have access
to any computer for a period of time, but you have planned your tasks
in advance.

Thanks for everyone contributed to this great tool, once again.

Have a nice day,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.

Re: success story: vo on the move...

Noel Henson
Peter,

That's a great story. How about reposting it as an article on the VO site.
I'm sure others not using VO would like to read it.

On behalf of all that contribute to VO, thanks!

Noel