system() problems with taglist.vim

Chris Allen
Hiya,

I'm trying to use Yegappan Lakshmanan's taglist.vim plugin 4.0b2 from
21 July 2005, and I've run across an irritating problem with the
system() function.  This is on OS X, incidentally, but I think it is
probably some sort of horrible shellquote/shellxquote or environment
variable problem.

The plugin works fine when run from a terminal with a full set of
environment variables.  When started through Finder it fails and shows
this error message:

Taglist: Failed to generate tags for /Users/chrisa/.vim/plugin/minibufexpl.vim
ctags: --excmd=pattern: No such file or directory^@ctags: --fields=nks: No such
file or directory^@ctags: --sort=yes: No such file or directory^@ctags: --langua
ge-force=vim: No such file or directory^@ctags: --vim-types=avf: No such file or
 directory^@

Which looks as though something somewhere has decided that each
whitespace-separated substring of the command is a program name to
execute.  The only reason I can think of that this disparity might
exist is because the graphical version, started through Finder,
receives only a stripped down set of environment variables.  If this
is the problem, though, I can not seem to find the right variable,
either by unsetting things in Bash or setting them through let inside
Vim.

Thanks,
Chris Allen

Re: system() problems with taglist.vim

Bram Moolenaar

Chris Allen wrote:

> I'm trying to use Yegappan Lakshmanan's taglist.vim plugin 4.0b2 from
> 21 July 2005, and I've run across an irritating problem with the
> system() function.  This is on OS X, incidentally, but I think it is
> probably some sort of horrible shellquote/shellxquote or environment
> variable problem.
>
> The plugin works fine when run from a terminal with a full set of
> environment variables.  When started through Finder it fails and shows
> this error message:
>
> Taglist: Failed to generate tags for /Users/chrisa/.vim/plugin/minibufexpl.=
> vim
> ctags: --excmd=3Dpattern: No such file or directory^@ctags: --fields=3Dnks:=
>  No such
> file or directory^@ctags: --sort=3Dyes: No such file or directory^@ctags: -=
> -langua
> ge-force=3Dvim: No such file or directory^@ctags: --vim-types=3Davf: No suc=
> h file or
>  directory^@
>
> Which looks as though something somewhere has decided that each
> whitespace-separated substring of the command is a program name to
> execute.  The only reason I can think of that this disparity might
> exist is because the graphical version, started through Finder,
> receives only a stripped down set of environment variables.  If this
> is the problem, though, I can not seem to find the right variable,
> either by unsetting things in Bash or setting them through let inside
> Vim.

Are you sure the right version of ctags is invoked?  When $PATH is
different you might end up with another version of the program, one that
doesn't understand these Exuberant-ctags specific arguments.

--
I learned the customs and mannerisms of engineers by observing them, much the
way Jane Goodall learned about the great apes, but without the hassle of

On 04/08/05, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you sure the right version of ctags is invoked?  When $PATH is
> different you might end up with another version of the program, one that
> doesn't understand these Exuberant-ctags specific arguments.

Quite right, it was the PATH.  I had completely forgotten about the
stock ctags, but Yegappan set me on the right track last night.
Thanks, both of you.

Chris Allen