tab name in MacVim

mitch-81
I'm using MacVim 7.2.  Not sure if this question is specific to the
Mac or general to Vim.

I'm creating a new tab, and then dragging a file onto the tab.  The
file opens fine.  In the title of the tab, Vim is trying to fit the
whole directory path and file name.  It doesn't fit and so it's
unreadable.  I'd prefer to have it just put the file name, without the
directory path, in the tab title.  Is there a way to set it up so it
always does this?  Thanks.

Re: tab name in MacVim

scott-268
On Thursday 02 September 2010 16:01:47 mitch wrote:

> I'm using MacVim 7.2.  Not sure if this question is specific
> to the Mac or general to Vim.

> I'm creating a new tab, and then dragging a file onto the tab.
>  The file opens fine.  In the title of the tab, Vim is trying
> to fit the whole directory path and file name.  It doesn't
> fit and so it's unreadable.  I'd prefer to have it just put
> the file name, without the directory path, in the tab title.
> Is there a way to set it up so it always does this?  Thanks.

this is just a guess but you might have a look at the
'titlestring', see if you can define your own without the path

see

    :h titlestring

for an explanation and some examples

sc

Re: tab name in MacVim

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
присланное в 02:28:05 03 сентября 2010, Пятница,
отправитель sc:

I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more suitable in this case.

Текст сообщения:

> On Thursday 02 September 2010 16:01:47 mitch wrote:
> > I'm using MacVim 7.2.  Not sure if this question is specific
> > to the Mac or general to Vim.
> >
> > I'm creating a new tab, and then dragging a file onto the tab.
> >
> >  The file opens fine.  In the title of the tab, Vim is trying
> >
> > to fit the whole directory path and file name.  It doesn't
> > fit and so it's unreadable.  I'd prefer to have it just put
> > the file name, without the directory path, in the tab title.
> > Is there a way to set it up so it always does this?  Thanks.
>
> this is just a guess but you might have a look at the
> 'titlestring', see if you can define your own without the path
>
> see
>
>     :h titlestring
>
> for an explanation and some examples
>
> sc

Re: tab name in MacVim

scott-268
On Thursday 02 September 2010 18:14:41 ZyX wrote:

> I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more
> suitable in this case.

oops -- he did say "title of the tab" didn't he -- my bad

sc

Re: tab name in MacVim

mitch-81
It looks like :set guitablabel=%t guitabtooltip=%F should do what I
want.  It would be nice to see the simple file name as the label
visible all the time, and the full path as the tooltip.  But the
tooltip isn't working.  It almost looks like guitabtooltip doesn't
work with macvim.  Does anybody know about this, or is there something
I have to do to set it up to work?  Thanks.

On Sep 2, 8:35 pm, sc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 September 2010 18:14:41 ZyX wrote:
>
> > I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more
> > suitable in this case.
>
> oops -- he did say "title of the tab" didn't he -- my bad
>
> sc

Re: tab name in MacVim

Björn Winckler
On Sep 3, 1:42 pm, mitch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like :set guitablabel=%t guitabtooltip=%F should do what I
> want.  It would be nice to see the simple file name as the label
> visible all the time, and the full path as the tooltip.  But the
> tooltip isn't working.  It almost looks like guitabtooltip doesn't
> work with macvim.  Does anybody know about this, or is there something
> I have to do to set it up to work?  Thanks.

I can't remember if 'guitabtooltip' is supported with the (ancient)
version of MacVim you are using.  If you upgrade to MacVim 7.3 [1] it
will work (nb. requires 10.5+, I haven't built a 10.4 version yet).
Oh, and that version has the following default:

set guitablabel=%M%t

which is a lot more pleasant than the default behavior in 7.2.

Björn

[1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Re: tab name in MacVim

mitch-81
The latest one here is still 7.2

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list

where is 7.3?

On Sep 3, 9:11 am, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't remember if 'guitabtooltip' is supported with the (ancient)
> version of MacVim you are using.  If you upgrade to MacVim 7.3 [1] it
> will work (nb. requires 10.5+, I haven't built a 10.4 version yet).
> Oh, and that version has the following default:
>
> set guitablabel=%M%t
>
> which is a lot more pleasant than the default behavior in 7.2.
>
> Björn
>
> [1]http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Re: tab name in MacVim

Israel Chauca Fuentes

On Sep 3, 2010, at 2:25 PM, mitch wrote:

> The latest one here is still 7.2
>
> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list
>
> where is 7.3?

http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads