to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

Ramana Kumar
I have set up some abbreviations to turn certain ASCII strings into
appropriate Unicode counterparts, for example from '==>' to '=>'. This works
wonderfully.

One problem, however, is when I now have a Unicode character sitting in my
buffer, I can't jump to it easily using the insert-mode 't' and 'f'
commands. Is there any way I could do this? The best for me would be if I
could do a 't=' and have it count occurrences of '=>' among the things to
jump to, since I originally typed '=' to get that character.

A related but different issue is getting those characters into the command
line buffer, for example if I want to search for a a string containing
Unicode characters. My abbreviations won't work in that buffer... is there a
way to get them to work? Or what about yanking/putting text between the main
buffer and the command buffer?

RE: to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

JohnBeckett
Ramana Kumar wrote:
> to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

This mailing list has almost no traffic. While in principle it
is the correct one for your question, in practice you should
send a new message to vim_use (don't bother mentioning that you
posted here; just send a new message).

> Or what about yanking/putting text between the main buffer and
> the command buffer?

I can comment on this. If you yank some text (e.g. yiw), you can
paste it into the command line by pressing Ctrl-R then " (a
double quote for the unnamed register, see ':help registers').

John

Re: to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

Ramana Kumar
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Muskoka Auto Parts Limited
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  On 10-09-20 10:26 PM, Ramana Kumar wrote:
>> I have set up some abbreviations to turn certain ASCII strings into
>> appropriate Unicode counterparts, for example from '==>' to '=>'. This works
>> wonderfully.
>
> Neat idea!  Care to share your whole list?

Look at the holabs.vim file here
http://hol.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hol/HOL/tools/vim/