toggle cursor guide from via command line?

toggle cursor guide from via command line?

Richard Mitchell
Can the cursor guide be toggled via a script/command line?

Normally I like the cursor guide on, but I'm writing some code that moves the cursor around the screen quit a bit and the cursor guide is distracting.   I'd like the program to be able to disable it on start and then restore it at the end.

Thanks!

Re: toggle cursor guide from via command line?

Tony Mechelynck
On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Richard Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can the cursor guide be toggled via a script/command line?
>
> Normally I like the cursor guide on, but I'm writing some code that moves the cursor around the screen quit a bit and the cursor guide is distracting.   I'd like the program to be able to disable it on start and then restore it at the end.
>
> Thanks!

What exactly do you call the cursor guide?

If you mean the horizontal and/or vertical highlight on the line
and/or column containing the cursor, that's governed by an option:
                :help 'cursorcolumn'
                :help 'cursorline'

If you want to freeze the viewport while your script makes changes
above the first visible line or below the last one, I'm afraid you
can't, but maybe there is some subtlety I missed.

If you mean the variously shaped spot at the very character cell
you're changing, then:
        - in a terminal in a non-Windows OS, it's under control of the
terminal, the only way Vim can act on it is by means of the termcap
codes t_SI, t_SR and t_EI (qq.v.)
        - in the Windows console and in gvim, it is under control of
the 'guicursor' option (q.v.)

If you mean the (left, right and/or bottom) scrollbars, then in gvim
they are under control of the 'guioptions' option (q.v.). In a
terminal they are under control of the terminal and I think Vim can't
touch them.

If you mean the numbers at lower right telling you (in numbers) the
current line and column, that's under control of the 'ruler' and/or
'statusline' options (qq.v.).

Oh, and before you ask, q.v. and qq.v. are common English
abbreviations for the Latin prases "quem/quam/quod vide" ("look it
up") and "quos/quas/quæ vide" ("look them up") respectively.

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:16:09 PM UTC-5, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Richard Mitchell  wrote:
> > Can the cursor guide be toggled via a script/command line?
> >
> > Normally I like the cursor guide on, but I'm writing some code that moves the cursor around the screen quit a bit and the cursor guide is distracting.   I'd like the program to be able to disable it on start and then restore it at the end.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> What exactly do you call the cursor guide?
>
> If you mean the horizontal and/or vertical highlight on the line
> and/or column containing the cursor, that's governed by an option:
>                 :help 'cursorcolumn'
>                 :help 'cursorline'
>
> If you want to freeze the viewport while your script makes changes
> above the first visible line or below the last one, I'm afraid you
> can't, but maybe there is some subtlety I missed.
>
> If you mean the variously shaped spot at the very character cell
> you're changing, then:
>         - in a terminal in a non-Windows OS, it's under control of the
> terminal, the only way Vim can act on it is by means of the termcap
> codes t_SI, t_SR and t_EI (qq.v.)
>         - in the Windows console and in gvim, it is under control of
> the 'guicursor' option (q.v.)
>
> If you mean the (left, right and/or bottom) scrollbars, then in gvim
> they are under control of the 'guioptions' option (q.v.). In a
> terminal they are under control of the terminal and I think Vim can't
> touch them.
>
> If you mean the numbers at lower right telling you (in numbers) the
> current line and column, that's under control of the 'ruler' and/or
> 'statusline' options (qq.v.).
>
> Oh, and before you ask, q.v. and qq.v. are common English
> abbreviations for the Latin prases "quem/quam/quod vide" ("look it
> up") and "quos/quas/quæ vide" ("look them up") respectively.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
I'm an idiot and posted to the wrong group, was meant for iterm2.