unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

David J Patrick-2
A while back I offered to split off an instance of the most excellent
RedMine ticket-tracking, wiki, forum, repository website.

Admittedly, I got tepid response, but I thought "hey, it's easy to do"
so up it goes. If it proves of use, it can be moved to a different
location, and/or styled up right. We could use it just for development,
adopt it as a main vimoutliner site, or everyone can completely ignore
it and I'll just use it to keep/share accumulated VO stuff.

I've cc'ed the lead developers of taskwarrior, because the vimoutliner
part is just piggy-backing on the taskwarrior project site. I trust this
will be minimally invasive, but if any problems surface, let me know
immediately and I will make move to fix. The (SVN ?) repository may be
the most useful part, and is not yet set up, pending discussions of host
and admin access. It could be any svn repo location.

One thing that may seem weird is that the "downloads" button is actually
part of the (customized) theme, and points to the downloads page for
taskwarrior, and offers no return links. I suggest just ignoring it OR
(better yet) downloading task for your platform and checking it out
(it's awesome)

I'll be using both tackwarrior and vimoutliner extensively, so this
makes sense to me, anyway.

interested ?
irritated ?
shocked ? appalled ?

http://taskwarrior.org/projects/show/vimoutliner

check it out, poke around, imagine it thriving, tell me what you think.
(it's more fun with a log-in ID)

djp

Re: unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

Noel Henson
On Thursday 15 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:

> A while back I offered to split off an instance of the most excellent
> RedMine ticket-tracking, wiki, forum, repository website.
>
> Admittedly, I got tepid response, but I thought "hey, it's easy to do"
> so up it goes. If it proves of use, it can be moved to a different
> location, and/or styled up right. We could use it just for development,
> adopt it as a main vimoutliner site, or everyone can completely ignore
> it and I'll just use it to keep/share accumulated VO stuff.
>
> I've cc'ed the lead developers of taskwarrior, because the vimoutliner
> part is just piggy-backing on the taskwarrior project site. I trust this
> will be minimally invasive, but if any problems surface, let me know
> immediately and I will make move to fix. The (SVN ?) repository may be
> the most useful part, and is not yet set up, pending discussions of host
> and admin access. It could be any svn repo location.
>
> One thing that may seem weird is that the "downloads" button is actually
> part of the (customized) theme, and points to the downloads page for
> taskwarrior, and offers no return links. I suggest just ignoring it OR
> (better yet) downloading task for your platform and checking it out
> (it's awesome)
>
> I'll be using both tackwarrior and vimoutliner extensively, so this
> makes sense to me, anyway.
>
> interested ?
> irritated ?
> shocked ? appalled ?
>
> http://taskwarrior.org/projects/show/vimoutliner
>
> check it out, poke around, imagine it thriving, tell me what you think.
> (it's more fun with a log-in ID)
>
> djp

David,

Now the world at large is to think that this is the place to submit bugs,
request features, download VO, etc.? So now there's another, unofficial
place that I'll have to check, keep up with, update etc. for bugs,
packages, etc.?

Noel

Noel Henson wrote:
> Now the world at large is to think that this is the place to submit bugs,
> request features, download VO, etc.?
It's just a test site (now clearly labeled so) that has most of the
features (minus svn) needed for development. The official site is mostly
de-activated, incomplete, and wasn't designed for ticket tracking and
code development, anyway. Your "moving to drupal" notice still wishes
visitors "Happy New Years", and as someone who has both a drupal site
and a redmine site, I can assure you that bending drupal for decent
project development is way harder than using redmine, especially when
it's already running.
  So now there's another, unofficial
> place that I'll have to check, keep up with, update etc. for bugs,
> packages, etc.?
I don't expect anything, Noel, but was just hoping that you might poke
around. I do think that the features it offers could greatly ease the
path to 0.4.0.
If you really don't like it, then as lead developer your non-adoption
will nullify it's use as a group site, and I may just then fold it down
to a user-wiki with the bits I manage to collect.
OTOH, if you DO like it, then we could keep stuff in one place.

It doesn't have to be THIS, but something LIKE THIS is needed.
djp

Noel
Noel -- Just curious, is there some reason VO project isn't up on sourceforge or github?  Those sites seem to work great for all the other open source projects.  -- Herb

Re: unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

Steve Litt
On Thursday 15 October 2009 13:06:17 Herbert Sitz wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Now the world at large is to think that this is the place to submit bugs,
> > request features, download VO, etc.? So now there's another, unofficial
> > place that I'll have to check, keep up with, update etc. for bugs,
> > packages, etc.?
> >
> > Noel
>
> Noel -- Just curious, is there some reason VO project isn't up on
> sourceforge or github?  Those sites seem to work great for all the other
> open source projects.  -- Herb

I can answer why *I* never put it on sourceforge when I was maintainer. If you
read the terms of service, there's a big, glaring ugly indemnification clause.
I refuse to sign or acquiesce to contracts with such provisions.

Also, I don't see Sourceforge's benefit. It's not like people go app shopping
on Sourceforge -- they google what they need and find it, whether on
Sourceforge or VimOutliner.org.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

Noel Henson
On Thursday 15 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:
> and a redmine site, I can assure you that bending drupal for decent
> project development is way harder than using redmine

Now that IS a useful piece of information. I'll check out RedMine.

Noel

On Thursday 15 October 2009, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Now the world at large is to think that this is the place to submit
> > bugs, request features, download VO, etc.? So now there's another,
> > unofficial place that I'll have to check, keep up with, update etc.
> > for bugs, packages, etc.?
> >
> > Noel
>
> Noel -- Just curious, is there some reason VO project isn't up on
> sourceforge or github?  Those sites seem to work great for all the other
> open source projects.  -- Herb

I was open to SF a long time ago. There was a dispute among the original
developers about the licensing and liability issues of using SF and similar
sites. I still am open to anything that reduces the issues I've had with
PostNuke. I have probably already spent 40-50 hours this year just dealing
with SPAM and rootkits.

Noel

Noel Henson wrote:
> I was open to SF a long time ago. There was a dispute among the original
> developers about the licensing and liability issues of using SF and similar
> sites.
Sourceforge is an important resource, and it seems to work well for some
people, but I have watched developers curse it regularly, and recent
style "improvements" (also to freshmeat.net and linux.com) have
renderred those sites less-than-useful for me.
  I still am open to anything that reduces the issues I've had with
> PostNuke. I have probably already spent 40-50 hours this year just dealing
> with SPAM and rootkits.
Nuke post-nuke, is all I have to say on that.
It is so ten-years-ago and will never be easy to manage.
djp

Re: unofficial, unauthorized vimoutliner development site is up!

Scott Scriven-2
* Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 October 2009, Herbert Sitz wrote:
> > Noel -- Just curious, is there some reason VO project isn't
> > up on sourceforge or github?
>
> I was open to SF a long time ago. There was a dispute among the
> original developers about the licensing and liability issues of
> using SF and similar sites. I still am open to anything that
> reduces the issues I've had with PostNuke. I have probably
> already spent 40-50 hours this year just dealing with SPAM and
> rootkits.

I think I've said it before, but launchpad.net works really well.
It has a very nice feature set, and there is no need for anyone
to maintain the server.  At least, it's nicer than any other
project infrastructure site I've seen, such as sourceforge or
github.  So far, it's the only one I've actually liked.  An
overview is available here:

  https://launchpad.net/+tour

BTW, it has decent legal terms too.

If anyone is curious but unsure, it has a staging or sandbox
server where you can do whatever you like without consequence.
It gets reset every night, so feel free to experiment.

And if people like the idea, I'll volunteer to set up a project,
migrate code and files, and generally help people figure things
out.  But if not, I don't want to fragment VO any more.

-- Scott

* Scott Scriven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> launchpad.net works really well...
> it has decent legal terms too.

I forgot to link to those terms.  For reference...

https://help.launchpad.net/Legal/

  https://help.launchpad.net/TermsofUse
  https://help.launchpad.net/Legal/ProjectLicensing
  https://help.launchpad.net/PrivacyPolicy