use macvim as "External Editor" in XCode, but open files in terminal vim?

use macvim as "External Editor" in XCode, but open files in terminal vim?

Eric Gradman
I use MacVim (homebrew) in iTerm2, in one pane (among serveral other panes).  I tend to have *very* long-running vim sessions in that pane.

I use XCode and Unity, both of which support using MacVim as an external editor.  When launching an external editor from these applications, I don't want a GUI MacVim window to pop up; I want to reuse my existing terminal MacVim session.  Is such a thing possible?

My 20-year vim-in-a-terminal habit is a hard one to break.

Re: use macvim as "External Editor" in XCode, but open files in terminal vim?

Tony Mechelynck
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:25:47 PM UTC+2, Eric Gradman wrote:
> I use MacVim (homebrew) in iTerm2, in one pane (among serveral other panes).  I tend to have *very* long-running vim sessions in that pane.
>
> I use XCode and Unity, both of which support using MacVim as an external editor.  When launching an external editor from these applications, I don't want a GUI MacVim window to pop up; I want to reuse my existing terminal MacVim session.  Is such a thing possible?
>
> My 20-year vim-in-a-terminal habit is a hard one to break.

Can you specify which editor command-line XCode or Unity will use? Uf you can, have you tried using the client-server functionality?

:help server.txt

10. And even your night dreams are in HTML.