using strong encryption in vim

Mosh-3
So I downloaded the source with hg, and built gvimd.exe with VC++.

I see that vim only writes encrypted file with VimCrypt~01 version (I
am looking at fileio.c)
how do I get it to use VimCrypt~02 for writing new files.

I have another minor patch ready for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_strengthening
which I need to test a bit.

===

Minor build fix for vc++ was to comment out this line,
  netbeans.c:369   // sock_errno = EINTR;  // sock_errno is a function
(not an l-value) in win32.

Compile and run:

  nmake -f Make_mvc.mak debug=yes gui=yes PYTHON_VER=25 PYTHON=c:/python25
  gvimd.exe file
  :X
  :abc
  :abc
  insert few lines
  :w
  :q

>  od -c file | head
0000000   V   i   m   C   r   y   p   t   ~   0   1   !   w 323   o 003
0000020 320   ' 356 204   . 373   <   & 006 211
0000032

thanks,
mohsin.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Tony Mechelynck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/05/10 02:04, Jordan Lewis wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Tony Mechelynck
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    2. "In the public domain".
>>    </quote>
>>
>>    This looks promising; but one part has a "note" in lawyerese and the
>>    other a "defined term" in quotes, let us see... ah, I think this
>>    clinches it, and since there is an "or" clause, no need (I think) to
>>    check the other:
>>
>>    <quote>
>>    GTN "In the public domain"
>>    GSN     This means "technology" or "software" which has been made
>>    available
>>    ML 22   without restrictions upon its further dissemination.
>>                    Note    Copyright restrictions do not remove
>>    "technology" or "software" from being "in the public domain".
>>    </quote>
>>
>>    I believe that Vim is "in the public domain" within the definitions
>>    used in that document (but of course, IANAL, nor do I play one on TV).
>>

>> No, I don't think that Vim is "in the public domain" at all or even
>> according to this document. The definition you quoted has the key phrase
>> "without restrictions upon its further dissemination." Even the first
>> clause of Vim's license agreement here
>> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/uganda.html#license requires
>> distributing the license itself alongside of any part of Vim that you
>> choose to distribute yourself. I believe that this requirement, although
>> trivial, constitutes a restriction upon further dissemination, which
>> removes it from the public domain classification.
>>
>> I am similarly NAL, though.
>>
>> - Jordan Lewis
>
> Well, isn't that clause there to ensure that further dissemination won't be
> stopped, and that copyright restrictions (which expressly don't remove
> software from the "public domain" as defined in that document) will be
> obeyed? All open-source software has similar requirements about the license
> being distributed together with it, it doesn't prevent further distribution.
>
> Oh well, IANAL, YANAL, I suppose that's the kind of red tape which means
> Bram had maybe better find a friendly Dutch lawyer knowing about cryptology
> software distribution out of Amsterdam.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
>  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are
>  forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how
>  holy the motives' -- Robert A Heinlein, "If this goes on --"

Re: using strong encryption in vim

Bram Moolenaar

Mohsin wrote:

> So I downloaded the source with hg, and built gvimd.exe with VC++.
>
> I see that vim only writes encrypted file with VimCrypt~01 version (I
> am looking at fileio.c)
> how do I get it to use VimCrypt~02 for writing new files.

        :set cryptmethod=1

Currently the default is still 0, to avoid people creating files they
can't uncrypt on another system.  I'm not sure when the default can be
1.  Perhaps only in Vim 7.4.

> I have another minor patch ready for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_strengthening
> which I need to test a bit.

OK, please send me a patch against the mercurial repository when you are
ready.

> Minor build fix for vc++ was to comment out this line,
>   netbeans.c:369   // sock_errno =3D EINTR;  // sock_errno is a function
> (not an l-value) in win32.

That was fixed, please "hg pull".

--
From "know your smileys":