vcscommand and MacVim

Nikola Knežević

Hi guys,
I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...

Any hints?

Cheers,
Nikola

Re: vcscommand and MacVim

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

> I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
> mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
> files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
> nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...

What's the output of `:pwd` in both cases?

Nico

Re: vcscommand and MacVim

Björn Winckler
On 04/03/2008, Nikola Knežević <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi guys,
>  I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
>  mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
>  files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
>  nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...
>
>  Any hints?

I don't really understand what the problem is (can you give us
step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it?) but it might just be
a $PATH issue.  Try opening the preferences and enable the "Launch Vim
processes in a login shell" option.

/Björn

Re: vcscommand and MacVim

Nikola Knežević

On 4 Mar 2008, at 19:26 , björn wrote:

>> I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
>> mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
>> files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
>> nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> I don't really understand what the problem is (can you give us
> step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it?) but it might just be
> a $PATH issue.  Try opening the preferences and enable the "Launch Vim
> processes in a login shell" option.

Hi Bjorn,
I've just turned off that option, because I had problems with it (I'll
explain later why).

And you are right, it is a $PATH issue. MacVim has a stripped down
version of the path, while console version gets the full path.

So, lets get back to the problem. I have ~/work/macvim7 folder, which
is under git. When I run console version of vim, statusline correctly
shows that the VCS is git. When I run MacVim on the same file (same
set of :cd and :e commands), statusline doesn't show that the VCS is
git. git is in the /opt/local/bin.

Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell. With this
option on, when I repeat the above steps, MacVim "hangs". ps aux shows
this:
/bin/zsh -c (svk info "/home/nikkne/work/macvim7") >/var/folders/aZ/
aZYa0...../2 2>&1
and this process never exits.
WHen I kill it, MacVim defreezes with an error message from
vcscommand.vim plugin.

Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?

Cheers,
Nikola

Re: vcscommand and MacVim

Ben Schmidt

> Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
> in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell.

Yes. The 'Launch Vim processes in a login shell' won't work with zsh...yet. There
is a patch in the pipeline that Björn and I have been collaborating on that will
fix this.

> Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?

I discovered this recently, which you might be able to modify to suit your needs:

http://macvim.org/OSX/files/vimrc

referenced from

http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php

It's designed to work with Carbon Vim, I believe, but would probably work with
MacVim with a little fiddling.

When the MacVim patch is merged, though, which I believe won't be too far in the
future, it will be better than this workaround.

Ben.

Re: vcscommand and MacVim

Axel Kielhorn

Am 05.03.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Ben Schmidt:

>> Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
>> in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell.
>
> Yes. The 'Launch Vim processes in a login shell' won't work with
> zsh...yet. There
> is a patch in the pipeline that Björn and I have been collaborating
> on that will
> fix this.
>
>> Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?
>
> I discovered this recently, which you might be able to modify to
> suit your needs:
>
> http://macvim.org/OSX/files/vimrc

The alternative is to have a file

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

containing something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>PATH</key>
        <string>/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin</
string>
</dict>
</plist>

This sets the PATH for every GUI application.

Axel