vi

luke-44
Hi.

I've been using vi on solaris and have been getting increasingly frustrated with
not being able to navigate in insert mode.
I asked a techops person at work and was told that I should start doing things
with tools that come on 'real' unix OSs, such as vi.

Can anyone enlighten me about using vi and being able to navigate with cursor
keys and perhaps other niceties of vim?

Kind regards.

Luke.
--
............._..
.|  .| |.|/.|_ .
.|__.|_|.|\.|_ .
:61 421 276 282:

Re: vi

iler.ml
> I've been using vi on solaris and have been getting increasingly frustrated with
> not being able to navigate in insert mode.
> I asked a techops person at work and was told that I should start doing things
> with tools that come on 'real' unix OSs, such as vi.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me about using vi and being able to navigate with cursor
> keys and perhaps other niceties of vim?

You'll need to create your ~/.vimrc file. The recommended method is:
vim
:!cp -i $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc

, and restart vim. At this point, the 'nocompatible' option shall be
set (you want it), and you'll have navigation in insert mode.

If you have color terminal, then syntax coloring will be enabled automatically.
I suggest to have shell alias that maps vi to vi:
  alias vi=vim # bash, ksh
  alias vi vim # tcsh

Yakov

Re: vi

panshizhu
[hidden email] wrote on 2006.03.30 07:54:35:
> Hi.
>
> I've been using vi on solaris and have been getting increasingly
> frustrated with
> not being able to navigate in insert mode.
> I asked a techops person at work and was told that I should start doing
things
> with tools that come on 'real' unix OSs, such as vi.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me about using vi and being able to navigate with
cursor
> keys and perhaps other niceties of vim?
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Luke.

Vim is available on most platforms. Simply get the Vim source and compile
it on your Unix and you'll be able to use it (no root privilege required).

So, you could safely define Vim as "that come on real unix OSs'.

--
Sincerely
Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

Re: vi navigation -> :help navigation

Sven Guckes-2
* <[hidden email]> [2006-03-30 02:05]:
> I've been using vi on solaris and have been getting increasingly
> frustrated with not being able to navigate in insert mode.
> I asked a techops person at work and was told that I should start
> doing things with tools that come on 'real' unix OSs, such as vi.
> Can anyone enlighten me about using vi and being able to
> navigate with cursor keys and perhaps other niceties of vim?

there is no need to navigate with
any of the cursor or function keys.

the true zen way of vi is to navigate
with letters, digits, and punctuation.

use "0^$|", "fFtT" and ",;", "bBeEwW",
"HML" and "hjkl", "G, "/?" and "nN",
"(){}[]" as well as using marks and tags.

all of this applies to vi and all of its clones.
within vim you can read all about it from within:

      :help navigation

you'll then see the file motion.txt with 1200+ lines
with all of these commands - and many more. in short:
just forget about cursor and functions keys.

instead, stay on the true path of vi zen!
you will then benefit when using any vi clone
and quite a few programs with vi key bindings..

Sven  [ommmm...]

--
To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.
Every command is a koan. Profound to the user,
unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
discover truth everytime you use it.  --Reddy

Re: vi navigation -> :help navigation

luke-44
Hi.
Thanks!

30Mar2006 @ 02:52 Sven Guckes thusly spake

> * <[hidden email]> [2006-03-30 02:05]:
> > I've been using vi on solaris and have been getting increasingly
> > frustrated with not being able to navigate in insert mode.
> > I asked a techops person at work and was told that I should start
> > doing things with tools that come on 'real' unix OSs, such as vi.
> > Can anyone enlighten me about using vi and being able to
> > navigate with cursor keys and perhaps other niceties of vim?
>
> there is no need to navigate with
> any of the cursor or function keys.
>
> the true zen way of vi is to navigate
> with letters, digits, and punctuation.
>
> use "0^$|", "fFtT" and ",;", "bBeEwW",
> "HML" and "hjkl", "G, "/?" and "nN",
> "(){}[]" as well as using marks and tags.
>
> all of this applies to vi and all of its clones.
> within vim you can read all about it from within:
>
>       :help navigation
>
> you'll then see the file motion.txt with 1200+ lines
> with all of these commands - and many more. in short:
> just forget about cursor and functions keys.
>
> instead, stay on the true path of vi zen!
> you will then benefit when using any vi clone
> and quite a few programs with vi key bindings..

I subscribe to this (-;