vim & platformio

tuxic
Hi,

what plugin/... is recommended to combine vim and platformio
"the best possible way" (...) ?

I found some which mentioned neomake which in turn is neovim
related...but I am a vim fan... ;)

What is the best choice?

By the way: Linux and platformio 3.6.0

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers!
Meino

Re: vim & platformio

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 11 Sep 2018, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what plugin/... is recommended to combine vim and platformio
> "the best possible way" (...) ?
>
> I found some which mentioned neomake which in turn is neovim
> related...but I am a vim fan... ;)
>
> What is the best choice?
>
> By the way: Linux and platformio 3.6.0

What is platformio?

Best,
Christian
--
Fast alles hätte einen Sinn - wenn es einen Sinn hätte.

Re: vim & platformio

arocker

> What is platformio?

Almost certainly this: https://platformio.org/platformio-ide

Re: vim & platformio

Christian Brabandt

On Mi, 12 Sep 2018, [hidden email] wrote:

> > What is platformio?
> >

> Almost certainly this: https://platformio.org/platformio-ide

So it is an IDE. While one can "pimp" Vim to become more IDE like by
using plugins such as ALE, gitgutter, youcompleteme and the like, it
often won't help with more sophisticated features like debugging (might
be possible with the new termdebug plugin for C) or refactoring.

Some IDE let you define an external editor so you could edit using Vim.
But you might still lose some of the more sophisticated features and it
might be a bit clunky.

So in general one either uses either Vim or an IDE, depending on your
personal needs (e.g. whether you need those features that the ide
provides). I guess there is no general answer to that question.

Best,
Christian
--
Hallo Tagsüberchatter!

Re: vim & platformio

tuxic
On 09/13 08:20, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Mi, 12 Sep 2018, [hidden email] wrote:
>

> > > What is platformio?
> > >

> > Almost certainly this: https://platformio.org/platformio-ide
>
> So it is an IDE. While one can "pimp" Vim to become more IDE like by
> using plugins such as ALE, gitgutter, youcompleteme and the like, it
> often won't help with more sophisticated features like debugging (might
> be possible with the new termdebug plugin for C) or refactoring.
>
> Some IDE let you define an external editor so you could edit using Vim.
> But you might still lose some of the more sophisticated features and it
> might be a bit clunky.
>
> So in general one either uses either Vim or an IDE, depending on your
> personal needs (e.g. whether you need those features that the ide
> provides). I guess there is no general answer to that question.
>
> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Hallo Tagsüberchatter!

> ---

sorry for being so quiet the last days...I had to rebuild my GENTOO
Linux system from ground up by recompiling mainly the whole
system...additionally my mailer crashed several time with memory
corruption failures...I am back to an older version of it, which works
fine.

Platformio is a cli command, with which one mainly can setup the
complete ecosystem for currently 547 different evaluation / tinker / maker /
whatever boards and platforms. It does all this difficult stuff to
setup a working target compiler environment and the according build
system.
Visual Code for example has a plugin for it.

Most of the time I like build systems which editors are more "bare metal"
more than those, which always try to suggest new and better things
while I am typing.
Vim  - therefore - is my friend... :)

Cheers!
Meino