vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

tuxic
Hi,

(I am on Linux.)

just for fun, entertainment and doing something new, I installed
Mecrisp-Stellaris FORTH on a STM32F103C8T6 ( aka "Blue Pill" )
micorcontroller board.

FORTH is interactive (has a REPL) and is a interpretive
(interpretative?) and compiler language at the same time.

For ceating new compiled code on the microcontroller is
as easy as cat-ting the sourcecode this way:

cat sourcecode.fs > /dev/ttyACM0

Now you can execute your program via the prompt you get
with a serial terminal which is connected via /dev/ttyACM0.

But what has all this to do with vim?

I want to write code in FORTH with vim (what else? ;), send
the code to the microcontroller and - if possible - want to
replace the extern console of the serial terminal with something
inside vim. I not neccessarily want to avoid the serial terminal --
I want to avoid the "external"...the switching between windows.

I found some rudimentary attempts of something like that (still
in need of an external something), which call 'cat' to transfer
the code to the microprocessor.
But those posts are from a long time ago.

Since vim got tasks and pipes and subprocesses I would like to ask
for some keywords or pointers to start with to acchieve what I have
described above.

Where should I start while trying to read the wheel a second time...?
:)

Cheers!
Meino

Re: vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

tuxic
Hi Jason,

thanks a lot. That's really neat! :)

What's about the other way around: How can get something
like the serial terminal inside vim?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Cheers!
Meino

On 05/29 12:39, Jason Felice wrote:

> In Vim, it should be as easy as `:w /dev/ttyACM0`, and you could map
> something like so: `nmap <F12> :w /dev/ttyACM0<CR>`.
>
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:24 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > (I am on Linux.)
> >
> > just for fun, entertainment and doing something new, I installed
> > Mecrisp-Stellaris FORTH on a STM32F103C8T6 ( aka "Blue Pill" )
> > micorcontroller board.
> >
> > FORTH is interactive (has a REPL) and is a interpretive
> > (interpretative?) and compiler language at the same time.
> >
> > For ceating new compiled code on the microcontroller is
> > as easy as cat-ting the sourcecode this way:
> >
> > cat sourcecode.fs > /dev/ttyACM0
> >
> > Now you can execute your program via the prompt you get
> > with a serial terminal which is connected via /dev/ttyACM0.
> >
> > But what has all this to do with vim?
> >
> > I want to write code in FORTH with vim (what else? ;), send
> > the code to the microcontroller and - if possible - want to
> > replace the extern console of the serial terminal with something
> > inside vim. I not neccessarily want to avoid the serial terminal --
> > I want to avoid the "external"...the switching between windows.
> >
> > I found some rudimentary attempts of something like that (still
> > in need of an external something), which call 'cat' to transfer
> > the code to the microprocessor.
> > But those posts are from a long time ago.
> >
> > Since vim got tasks and pipes and subprocesses I would like to ask
> > for some keywords or pointers to start with to acchieve what I have
> > described above.
> >
> > Where should I start while trying to read the wheel a second time...?
> > :)
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > Cheers!
> > Meino
> >

> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
> > email to [hidden email].

> ---

Re: vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

David Woodfall

On Tuesday 29 May 2018 18:42,
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
> Hi Jason,
>
> thanks a lot. That's really neat! :)
>
> What's about the other way around: How can get something
> like the serial terminal inside vim?

In vim 8.1 there's the terminal plugin.

See :help terminal and :help terminal<tab> will bring a list of other
help files on aspects.

--

Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Re: vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

tuxic

Hi David,

OH! AH! YEAH!
I didn't exspect it would be THAT easy...
That's very nice!
Thanks a lot!
Cheers
Meino

On 05/29 06:08, David Woodfall wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2018 18:42,
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > thanks a lot. That's really neat! :)
> >
> > What's about the other way around: How can get something
> > like the serial terminal inside vim?
>
> In vim 8.1 there's the terminal plugin.
>
> See :help terminal and :help terminal<tab> will bring a list of other
> help files on aspects.
>
> --
>
> Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
> on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
>   -- Linus Torvalds, about his failing hard drive on linux.cs.helsinki.fi
>
>                                                             .--.  oo
>                                                            (____)//
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

> ---

Re: vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

David Woodfall
On Tuesday 29 May 2018 19:14,
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

> Hi David,
>
> OH! AH! YEAH!
> I didn't exspect it would be THAT easy...
> That's very nice!
> Thanks a lot!
> Cheers
> Meino

Alternatively, if you use screen you can make a vsplit window and
have vim on one side and the terminal on the other.

--

Microsoft Corp., concerned by the growing popularity of the free 32-bit
operating system for Intel systems, Linux, has employed a number of top

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

On 05/29 06:19, David Woodfall wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2018 19:14,
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > OH! AH! YEAH!
> > I didn't exspect it would be THAT easy...
> > That's very nice!
> > Thanks a lot!
> > Cheers
> > Meino
> >

> Alternatively, if you use screen you can make a vsplit window and
> have vim on one side and the terminal on the other.

Thanks a lot for the hint, David.

I tried Mecrisp-Stellaris FORTH in conjunction with screen in
another context and it does not work that well...staircase effect...

Cheers!
Meino

: doubler over over ( n m -- n m n m )

:)

> --
>
> Microsoft Corp., concerned by the growing popularity of the free 32-bit
> operating system for Intel systems, Linux, has employed a number of top
> programmers from the underground world of virus development.  Bill Gates stated
> yesterday: "World domination, fast -- it's either us or Linus".  Mr. Torvalds
> was unavailable for comment ...
>   -- Robert Manners, [hidden email], in comp.os.linux.setup
>
>                                                             .--.  oo
>                                                            (____)//
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

> ---

Re: vim and FORTH-"IDE"-ish environment

tuxic

one problem with the terminal emulation...
I am running picocom to connect to the
FORTH sustem.
picocom can be instructed by C-A C-<someting>
key sequences similiar to screen.
These sequences are not passed through.

I skimmed through the help but didn't find
anything which seems to be linked to this.
Any idea?

Cheers
Meino