vim-gtk and ruby-gtk

Groleo Marius
Hi!

Is it possible to display a gtk-widget, comming
from another app, *inside* vim-gtk?
Some thing simmilar to the socket/plug combination.

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: vim-gtk and ruby-gtk

Bart Duchesne
On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 09:35 +0300, Groleo Marius wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to display a gtk-widget, comming
> from another app, *inside* vim-gtk?
> Some thing simmilar to the socket/plug combination.

I am also intrested to know.

It would be really interesting to execute eg. ruby script (or any other
embedded interpretor) and make it possible to use gtk/gnome widgets to
extend the UI of VIM.
That way we can create graphical extensions that are in VIM (you can
easily create IDE's with this kind of plugins)

I already tried it and got a fatal error that Gtk-Threads was already
initialized; obviously Vim and rubygtk are both trying to initialize Gtk
in the same process which gives some problems. Need to dig in further to
see if it possible. Maybe someone else has already tried or
investigated ?

For the moment I wrote my IDE-GUI in ruby and I communicate with VIM
through it's X server interface but I think that integrating the
interface trough VIM scripts and language plug-ins would be much better.

(if anyone is interested to see an alpha version of a productivity tool
for VIM checkout my project at http://rubyforge.org/projects/assist it
already works and gives you an idea but it needs a bit more work to be
really usefull )

--
Bart Duchesne
mailto:[hidden email]

DynDaCo BVBA
Bosstraat 9
B - 2230 RAMSEL
+ 32 477 25 32 12

Re: vim-gtk and ruby-gtk

Groleo Marius
On 9/8/05, Bart Duchesne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 09:35 +0300, Groleo Marius wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is it possible to display a gtk-widget, comming
> > from another app, *inside* vim-gtk?
> > Some thing simmilar to the socket/plug combination.
> >

> I am also intrested to know.
>
> It would be really interesting to execute eg. ruby script (or any other
> embedded interpretor) and make it possible to use gtk/gnome widgets to
> extend the UI of VIM.
> That way we can create graphical extensions that are in VIM (you can
> easily create IDE's with this kind of plugins)
>
> I already tried it and got a fatal error that Gtk-Threads was already
> initialized; obviously Vim and rubygtk are both trying to initialize Gtk
> in the same process which gives some problems. Need to dig in further to
> see if it possible. Maybe someone else has already tried or
> investigated ?
>
> For the moment I wrote my IDE-GUI in ruby and I communicate with VIM
> through it's X server interface but I think that integrating the
> interface trough VIM scripts and language plug-ins would be much better.
>
> (if anyone is interested to see an alpha version of a productivity tool
> for VIM checkout my project at http://rubyforge.org/projects/assist it
> already works and gives you an idea but it needs a bit more work to be
> really usefull )
>
> --
> Bart Duchesne
> mailto:[hidden email]
>
> DynDaCo BVBA
> Bosstraat 9
> B - 2230 RAMSEL
> + 32 477 25 32 12

My problem is not the initialisation . I succefully created widgets from a
vim/ruby-gtk plugin.
Since all the ruby code within the .vim plugin is passed to ruby,
the problem is how to comunicate to the gvim's text widget ?

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe