vim highlight overrided

Yu Huang-4
Hi,

The highlight scheme of the theme I use is not clear, so I want to change it.
However, when I set it in my .vimrc file by "hi ... guifg=..."
After vim starts the hi group "SEARCH" is still the same as before I set "hi ... guifg="

My setting seems to be overrided by some other files sourced after my .vimrc.
Anyone knows how I can know when a variable/ value is assigned during the start up of vim?

How can I fix my problem here?

Thanks a lot.

Yu Huang

Re: vim highlight overrided

Gary Johnson-4

On 2009-03-16, Yu Huang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The highlight scheme of the theme I use is not clear, so I want to change
> it.
> However, when I set it in my .vimrc file by "hi ... guifg=..."
> After vim starts the hi group "SEARCH" is still the same as before I set "hi
> ... guifg="
>
> My setting seems to be overrided by some other files sourced after my
> .vimrc.
> Anyone knows how I can know when a variable/ value is assigned during the
> start up of vim?
>
> How can I fix my problem here?

You can find where some settings are made by preceding a query of
the setting by ":verbose", e.g.,

    :verbose set syntax?

    :verbose hi Search

HTH,
Gary

Re: vim highlight overrided

Yu Huang-4
Thanks, Gary

Yu Huang

On 2009-03-16, Yu Huang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The highlight scheme of the theme I use is not clear, so I want to change
> it.
> However, when I set it in my .vimrc file by "hi ... guifg=..."
> After vim starts the hi group "SEARCH" is still the same as before I set "hi
> ... guifg="
>
> My setting seems to be overrided by some other files sourced after my
> .vimrc.
> Anyone knows how I can know when a variable/ value is assigned during the
> start up of vim?
>
> How can I fix my problem here?

You can find where some settings are made by preceding a query of
the setting by ":verbose", e.g.,

   :verbose set syntax?

   :verbose hi Search

HTH,
Gary

Re: vim highlight overrided

Benjamin Fritz

On Mar 16, 5:28 am, Yu Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The highlight scheme of the theme I use is not clear, so I want to change
> it.
> However, when I set it in my .vimrc file by "hi ... guifg=..."

Rather than setting this in your .vimrc, why not just modify the
colorscheme directly? This generally is much more robust.

Say you're using the "desert" colorscheme.

Simply copy $VIMRUNTIME/colors/desert.vim to $HOME/.vim/colors/
desert.vim, then modify the copied file as you like.