vim opening *.html files in readonly mode (and yes, the file does NOT have readonly attribute set)

vim opening *.html files in readonly mode (and yes, the file does NOT have readonly attribute set)

hackware
Over the years, I've installed many .vim files to customize vim for various uses/projects...

After upgrading to winbloz-10 and vim to 7.4, I get errors in the LH vim lib, and editing any .html file will open in readonly mode.

Could I get some pointers on tracing vim script execution, and/or the readonly problem?

thanx...

william...

Re: vim opening *.html files in readonly mode (and yes, the file does NOT have readonly attribute set)

Benji Fisher-3
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 12:18 PM, hackware <[hidden email]> wrote:
Over the years, I've installed many .vim files to customize vim for various uses/projects...

After upgrading to winbloz-10 and vim to 7.4, I get errors in the LH vim lib, and editing any .html file will open in readonly mode.

Could I get some pointers on tracing vim script execution, and/or the readonly problem?

thanx...

william...

:help debug-scripts
:verbose set readonly?

HTH
--
Benji Fisher

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 6:18 PM, hackware <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Over the years, I've installed many .vim files to customize vim for various uses/projects...
>
> After upgrading to winbloz-10 and vim to 7.4, I get errors in the LH vim lib, and editing any .html file will open in readonly mode.
>
> Could I get some pointers on tracing vim script execution, and/or the readonly problem?
>
> thanx...
>
> william...

Vim 7.4 is already somewhat out-of-date. Vim 8.0 was released on
12-Sep-2016, and since then it has seen more than a thousand
enhancements and bugfixes. Have you tried it?

I am on Linux64, and I've never had the case of HTML files opening in
readonly mode, except of course when using "view", or when the file
either had the readonly attribute, or was on a readonly medium such as
a CD-ROM.

Have you got "user" or "sysadmin" customizations, setting readonly
when an HTML file is opened? Try the following:

1. Start Vim or gvim (not view or gview) with an HTML file located on
your hard disk, and neither in a readonly directory nor with the
readonly attribute set on the file itself.
2. That file being the current editfile, type

        :verbose setlocal readonly? modifiable?

followed by <Enter>. The answer should tell you not only how these two
options are set on the file, but where they were set. The question
marks are important here, because without them you would be setting
these Boolean options to TRUE rather than asking how they are
currently set.

Re: vim opening *.html files in readonly mode (and yes, the file does NOT have readonly attribute set)

hackware
upgraded to vim-8.0, script problems followed upgrade...

now, if I start vim via taskbar icon, there are no menu or tabs present.

If I start vim via clicking on a file vim defaults to (ie: *.txt), then vim starts like it did in vim-7.8...

anywayz...   starting to debug using hints you two gave me...

thanx...

william...