vim-pandoc, terminal vim, homebrew, and x11

vim-pandoc, terminal vim, homebrew, and x11

Colin McLear
Anyone using vim-pandoc who could give me some tips on how to get terminal vim running with asynchronous processing?

I've got MacVim (running on Yosemite--I know, I know) installed via home-brew (7.4-73) and flagged it to override the system vim. But I'd like to mainly work out of the terminal (iTerm) and not the gui app, while still being able to run pandoc processes in the background. According to this stack overflow answer (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10231223/compile-vim-7-3-with-clientserver-feature-on-mac-os-x), this should be possible. But I keep running into the following error:

brew reinstall macvim --override-system-vim
==> Reinstalling macvim with --override-system-vim
==> Downloading https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/snapshot-73.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/macvim-7.4-73.tar.gz
==> ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-multibyte --with-macarchs=x86_64 --enable-perlinterp --enable-rubyinterp --enable-tclinterp --enable-gui=gtk2 --
==> make
make[1]: *** [objects/os_mac_conv.o] Error 1
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [objects/os_macosx.o] Error 1
make: *** [first] Error 2

READ THIS: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/Troubleshooting.md#troubleshooting

These open issues may also help:
Incorrect description for macvim formula (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/33262)
macvim failed to build on 10.9 because of x11 (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/30253)

Any help is much appreciated!

Re: vim-pandoc, terminal vim, homebrew, and x11

Colin McLear
For any who might be interested. The easy fix was to install vim via Homebrew:

brew install vim --with-client-server

then make an alias like:

alias vim='vim --servername vim' in your .zshrc (or bash or whatever)

so that it always starts with it. Unlike MacVim, terminal vim doesn't start up with the client server running by default.