Quantcast

vim scp and a local swap file

neilhwatson
Greetings,

The other day I was editing a remote file via scp when my client machine
crashed. Had the file been local there would have been a swap file to recover
unsaved changes. Is it possible to have local swap file for a remote file?

Re: vim scp and a local swap file

Charles E Campbell Jr
Neil Watson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The other day I was editing a remote file via scp when my client machine
> crashed. Had the file been local there would have been a swap file to recover
> unsaved changes. Is it possible to have local swap file for a remote file?

There should be a local swap file; right now I don't have scp available
for me to test, although I plan on getting my laptop and desktop to
start playing together sometime (got to figure my way around the
security firewalls, etc).  It might be in /tmp.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: vim scp and a local swap file

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-02-06, Charles E Campbell wrote:

> Neil Watson wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The other day I was editing a remote file via scp when my client machine
> > crashed. Had the file been local there would have been a swap file to recover
> > unsaved changes. Is it possible to have local swap file for a remote file?
> >
> There should be a local swap file; right now I don't have scp available
> for me to test, although I plan on getting my laptop and desktop to
> start playing together sometime (got to figure my way around the
> security firewalls, etc).  It might be in /tmp.

I just tried a couple of experiments, editing an existing remote
file using scp.

    $ vim scp://hostname/hello.txt
    :swapname
    No swap file

Netrw is v162h.

    $ vim -N -u NORC scp://hostname/hello.txt
    :swapname
    No swap file
    :verbose set swapfile?
    noswapfile
            Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim80/autoload/netrw.vim

Netrw is v156.

There are several places in autoload/netrw.vim where :nowapfile
appears.  I didn't try to find out which was being executed or why.

Regards,
Gary

On 2017-02-06, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2017-02-06, Charles E Campbell wrote:
> > Neil Watson wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > The other day I was editing a remote file via scp when my client machine
> > > crashed. Had the file been local there would have been a swap file to recover
> > > unsaved changes. Is it possible to have local swap file for a remote file?
> > >
> > There should be a local swap file; right now I don't have scp available
> > for me to test, although I plan on getting my laptop and desktop to
> > start playing together sometime (got to figure my way around the
> > security firewalls, etc).  It might be in /tmp.
>
> I just tried a couple of experiments, editing an existing remote
> file using scp.
>
>     $ vim scp://hostname/hello.txt
>     :swapname
>     No swap file
>
> Netrw is v162h.
>
>     $ vim -N -u NORC scp://hostname/hello.txt
>     :swapname
>     No swap file
>     :verbose set swapfile?
>     noswapfile
>             Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim80/autoload/netrw.vim
>
> Netrw is v156.
>
> There are several places in autoload/netrw.vim where :nowapfile
> appears.  I didn't try to find out which was being executed or why.

Poking around some more, I found a number of instances of "setl
noswf" conditioned on g:netrw_use_noswf and found that
g:netrw_use_noswf was 1, which the netrw help says is the default.
So I started vim as

    $ vim --cmd 'let g:netrw_use_noswf=0' scp://hostname/hello.txt

and voilĂ !  Now :swapname shows the swap file name.  Of course,
g:netrw_use_noswf could also be assigned in one's ~/vimrc file,
perhaps conditioned on the value of % or argv().

I still don't know why netrw does that that for files accessed over
scp, but at least there's now a workaround, and maybe a clue to help
Chip find the real solution.

Regards,
Gary