Quantcast

vim-screen: Split above instead of split below

vim-screen: Split above instead of split below

tuxic
Hi,

I am running vim on my Android tablet in a chrooted Linux (via
LinuxDeploy.apk).

For writing pieces of racket code I installed racket :) and
vim-screen (https://github.com/ervandew/screen).

This way it is possible to split the window of vim in two, write code
in one window and send that code directly to the REPL of racket and
let it be executed by racket -- very handy...except of one thing:

The racket-window always opens below the code window.
On a tablet this is not optimal since it has a touch screen and
my hands with the pen cover the racket window partly.

I didn't find a way to convince vim-screen to start the racket
window _above_ the code window.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers
Meino

Re: vim-screen: Split above instead of split below

jrfranklin
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:01:03 PM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running vim on my Android tablet in a chrooted Linux (via
> LinuxDeploy.apk).
>
> For writing pieces of racket code I installed racket :) and
> vim-screen (https://github.com/ervandew/screen).
>
> This way it is possible to split the window of vim in two, write code
> in one window and send that code directly to the REPL of racket and
> let it be executed by racket -- very handy...except of one thing:
>
> The racket-window always opens below the code window.
> On a tablet this is not optimal since it has a touch screen and
> my hands with the pen cover the racket window partly.
>
> I didn't find a way to convince vim-screen to start the racket
> window _above_ the code window.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> Cheers
> Meino
Check the 'splitbelow' option first, and make sure it's off.  The alternative isn't particularly fun, but it's not all that difficult. It just involves setting up the proper autocommands.

On 05/09 07:15, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:01:03 PM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running vim on my Android tablet in a chrooted Linux (via
> > LinuxDeploy.apk).
> >
> > For writing pieces of racket code I installed racket :) and
> > vim-screen (https://github.com/ervandew/screen).
> >
> > This way it is possible to split the window of vim in two, write code
> > in one window and send that code directly to the REPL of racket and
> > let it be executed by racket -- very handy...except of one thing:
> >
> > The racket-window always opens below the code window.
> > On a tablet this is not optimal since it has a touch screen and
> > my hands with the pen cover the racket window partly.
> >
> > I didn't find a way to convince vim-screen to start the racket
> > window _above_ the code window.
> >
> > Is there a way to accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> > Cheers
> > Meino
>
> Check the 'splitbelow' option first, and make sure it's off.  The alternative isn't particularly fun, but it's not all that difficult. It just involves setting up the proper autocommands.

vim-screen involves tmux.
splitbelow does not work for me here.
vim-screen is a plugin which either uses GnuScreen or tmux to
accomplish the code execution.

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:29:45 PM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 05/09 07:15, [hidden email] wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:01:03 PM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running vim on my Android tablet in a chrooted Linux (via
> > > LinuxDeploy.apk).
> > >
> > > For writing pieces of racket code I installed racket :) and
> > > vim-screen (https://github.com/ervandew/screen).
> > >
> > > This way it is possible to split the window of vim in two, write code
> > > in one window and send that code directly to the REPL of racket and
> > > let it be executed by racket -- very handy...except of one thing:
> > >
> > > The racket-window always opens below the code window.
> > > On a tablet this is not optimal since it has a touch screen and
> > > my hands with the pen cover the racket window partly.
> > >
> > > I didn't find a way to convince vim-screen to start the racket
> > > window _above_ the code window.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to accomplish this?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> > > Cheers
> > > Meino
> >
> > Check the 'splitbelow' option first, and make sure it's off.  The alternative isn't particularly fun, but it's not all that difficult. It just involves setting up the proper autocommands.
>
> vim-screen involves tmux.
> splitbelow does not work for me here.
> vim-screen is a plugin which either uses GnuScreen or tmux to
> accomplish the code execution.
>
> Cheers
> Meino
I see... Sorry for being hasty.  I've taken a closer look at the plugin.  It looks more like an issue with screen or tmux.  It's kind of out of my scope. You'll likely have to poke around within the manual of one of these multiplexers to find a solution.