vim versions

Renato Fabbri
vim commit messages are tagged with 8.0.1173 (last digit being incremented at each commit)
while git pull reports 8.0.1257.

Are these the stable versions?
Which of these are the correct numbering and why do they differ?

Also, are there alpha and beta versions and how to reach them.

Best and cheers,
R.

Re: vim versions

Tony Mechelynck
On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Renato Fabbri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vim commit messages are tagged with 8.0.1173 (last digit being incremented at each commit)
> while git pull reports 8.0.1257.
>
> Are these the stable versions?
> Which of these are the correct numbering and why do they differ?
>
> Also, are there alpha and beta versions and how to reach them.
>
> Best and cheers,
> R.

AFAIK, the latest Vim "bleeding-edge" state-of-the-art Vim version is
8.0.1257 and the latest not-for-tags commit says "patch 8.0.1257: no
test for fix of undefined behavior". This was
https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/2973daafe1732963b8924cb9df53c608804d66b3
— I suppose this is the latest alpha, or maybe beta, if there is one.
By compiling and installing this version, then running it, the startup
splash screen (or the :intro command) tells me this is "version
8.0.1257".

I'm not sure what the "latest stable" version of Vim would be at this
point in time. I would guess no earlier (but maybe later) than 8.0.0,
though the current version distributed by openSUSE Linux is still
7.4.326. I'm all for the latest development version but YMMV; however
when reporting a bug, users are of course advised to check first if
the bug is still present with all known patches installed. You can see
at any time a one-line description of all 8.0 patches so far by
browsing to http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/8.0/

Re: vim versions

Richard Mitchell
On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 7:42:14 PM UTC-4, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Renato Fabbri  wrote:
> > vim commit messages are tagged with 8.0.1173 (last digit being incremented at each commit)
> > while git pull reports 8.0.1257.
> >
> > Are these the stable versions?
> > Which of these are the correct numbering and why do they differ?
> >
> > Also, are there alpha and beta versions and how to reach them.
> >
> > Best and cheers,
> > R.
>
> AFAIK, the latest Vim "bleeding-edge" state-of-the-art Vim version is
> 8.0.1257 and the latest not-for-tags commit says "patch 8.0.1257: no
> test for fix of undefined behavior". This was
> https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/2973daafe1732963b8924cb9df53c608804d66b3
> — I suppose this is the latest alpha, or maybe beta, if there is one.
> By compiling and installing this version, then running it, the startup
> splash screen (or the :intro command) tells me this is "version
> 8.0.1257".
>
> I'm not sure what the "latest stable" version of Vim would be at this
> point in time. I would guess no earlier (but maybe later) than 8.0.0,
> though the current version distributed by openSUSE Linux is still
> 7.4.326. I'm all for the latest development version but YMMV; however
> when reporting a bug, users are of course advised to check first if
> the bug is still present with all known patches installed. You can see
> at any time a one-line description of all 8.0 patches so far by
> browsing to http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/8.0/
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
First, I am extremely grateful for all the work the entire vim community does.  I absolutely enjoy using vim/MacVim.

I randomly update using git pull and then compile, but finding out why usually remains a mystery.  I updated last because I read a tweet that incremental search was now built in instead of being a plugin.  To me, that is a pretty big deal but it isn't obvious even in the one-liners you referenced.  It would really be great if features and critical fixes were better announced.

Re: vim versions

Renato Fabbri
Em sexta-feira, 3 de novembro de 2017 21:42:14 UTC-2, Tony Mechelynck  escreveu:

> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Renato Fabbri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > vim commit messages are tagged with 8.0.1173 (last digit being incremented at each commit)
> > while git pull reports 8.0.1257.
> >
> > Are these the stable versions?
> > Which of these are the correct numbering and why do they differ?
> >
> > Also, are there alpha and beta versions and how to reach them.
> >
> > Best and cheers,
> > R.
>
> AFAIK, the latest Vim "bleeding-edge" state-of-the-art Vim version is
> 8.0.1257 and the latest not-for-tags commit says "patch 8.0.1257: no
> test for fix of undefined behavior". This was
> https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/2973daafe1732963b8924cb9df53c608804d66b3
> — I suppose this is the latest alpha, or maybe beta, if there is one.
> By compiling and installing this version, then running it, the startup
> splash screen (or the :intro command) tells me this is "version
> 8.0.1257".
>
> I'm not sure what the "latest stable" version of Vim would be at this
> point in time. I would guess no earlier (but maybe later) than 8.0.0,
> though the current version distributed by openSUSE Linux is still
> 7.4.326. I'm all for the latest development version but YMMV; however
> when reporting a bug, users are of course advised to check first if
> the bug is still present with all known patches installed. You can see
> at any time a one-line description of all 8.0 patches so far by
> browsing to http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/8.0/
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
I had a custom configuration file:
https://github.com/ttm/vim/blob/master/Makefile
which prevented git from performing pull.
So it seems I am using the almost-bleeding edge.

How often do you update your Vim version?

Also, are there known teaks for dealing with the
bleeding-edge or would you care to share yours?
Here it works just fine with this vimrc:
https://github.com/ttm/vim/blob/master/vimrc

Re: vim versions

Tony Mechelynck
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Renato Fabbri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had a custom configuration file:
> https://github.com/ttm/vim/blob/master/Makefile
> which prevented git from performing pull.
> So it seems I am using the almost-bleeding edge.
>
> How often do you update your Vim version?

Whenever "hg incoming" (on Christian Brabandt's Mercurial mirror at
https://bitbucket.org/vim-mirror/vim) shows that there are new
changesets; however if all new changesets are for tests and/or
Windows, I download them but don't yet build (I'm on Linux and
normally I don't run the tests).

> Also, are there known teaks for dealing with the
> bleeding-edge or would you care to share yours?
> Here it works just fine with this vimrc:
> https://github.com/ttm/vim/blob/master/vimrc

I just uploaded my ~/.vimrc at
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimrc — but I don't
regard it as specific to the latest development build; I would use it
with any "reasonably recent" build and with any featureset from Tiny
to Huge. It will ptobably not suit you as-is but if you see
interesting ideas in it, feel free to pick and choose.

I don't modify the Makefile, I use the src/Makefile unchanged and I
set my configure arguments by means of environment variables, see
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm