vim via serial console

tuxic
Hi,

to my Rapsberry Pi Zero W I connect via serial
terminal.

The serial terminal output respect the size
of my terminal window on the host pc.

As soon as I start vim, the size of the
"printable area" - that is: what vim uses
to let me edit text" is drastically shrunken
to 24 lines and 80 colums, which is too tiny
to edit config files and look through log files
in most cases.

Is there a way to tell vim to use the full size
as (in this case) picocom does?

Thanks a lot for any bigger edit window in advance! :)

Cheers
Meino

Re: vim via serial console

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 7:32 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to my Rapsberry Pi Zero W I connect via serial
> terminal.
>
> The serial terminal output respect the size
> of my terminal window on the host pc.
>
> As soon as I start vim, the size of the
> "printable area" - that is: what vim uses
> to let me edit text" is drastically shrunken
> to 24 lines and 80 colums, which is too tiny
> to edit config files and look through log files
> in most cases.
>
> Is there a way to tell vim to use the full size
> as (in this case) picocom does?
>
> Thanks a lot for any bigger edit window in advance! :)
>
> Cheers
> Meino

What happens if you do

       :set lines=999 columns=999

? (I have no serial console, and on some terminals this doesn't work.
On my system, it works in gvim and in xterm but not in konsole.)

See
    :help 'lines'
    :help 'columns'

Re: vim via serial console

tuxic
On 07/01 08:24, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 7:32 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > to my Rapsberry Pi Zero W I connect via serial
> > terminal.
> >
> > The serial terminal output respect the size
> > of my terminal window on the host pc.
> >
> > As soon as I start vim, the size of the
> > "printable area" - that is: what vim uses
> > to let me edit text" is drastically shrunken
> > to 24 lines and 80 colums, which is too tiny
> > to edit config files and look through log files
> > in most cases.
> >
> > Is there a way to tell vim to use the full size
> > as (in this case) picocom does?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any bigger edit window in advance! :)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino
>
> What happens if you do
>
>        :set lines=999 columns=999
>
> ? (I have no serial console, and on some terminals this doesn't work.
> On my system, it works in gvim and in xterm but not in konsole.)
>
> See
>     :help 'lines'
>     :help 'columns'
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

> ---

Hi Tony,

*thanks* for your reply.
I will check later...a few minutes ago I "killed" my
raspi-installation...have to start from the beginning.

... will be back later...

Have a nice sunda!
Cheers
Meino