vim7 compiling - install.exe howto

Gergely Kontra
Hi all!

I've successfully compiled vim7 for windows (mingw).
I've problems running install.exe.
I've unpacked the sources to a dir called vim70aa, but install.exe is in
the src directory.

However, if I run it from the src directory I get:
kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa/src
$ install.exe
This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA

ERROR: Install program not in directory "vim70aa"
This program can only work when it is located in its original directory

On the other hand, if I cheat and copy the install.exe one level upper:
kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa
$ ./install.exe
This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA

ERROR: Cannot find filetype.vim in "d:\tmp\vim70aa"
It looks like you did not unpack the runtime archive.
You must unpack the runtime archive "vim70aart.zip" before installing

So how can I simply install it? (I need the context popup)

thx
Gergo
--
+-[ Gergely Kontra <[hidden email]> http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely ]------+
| PhD Student (Room:IB113)  PGP ID: 0x7E3846BF  Mobile:(+36 20)356 9656 |

Re: vim7 compiling - install.exe howto

Dan Sharp
Gergely Kontra wrote:

> I've successfully compiled vim7 for windows (mingw).
> I've problems running install.exe.
> I've unpacked the sources to a dir called vim70aa, but install.exe is in
> the src directory.
>
> However, if I run it from the src directory I get:
> kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa/src
> $ install.exe
> This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA
>
> ERROR: Install program not in directory "vim70aa"
> This program can only work when it is located in its original directory
>
> On the other hand, if I cheat and copy the install.exe one level upper:
> kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa
> $ ./install.exe
> This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA
>
> ERROR: Cannot find filetype.vim in "d:\tmp\vim70aa"
> It looks like you did not unpack the runtime archive.
> You must unpack the runtime archive "vim70aart.zip" before installing
>
> So how can I simply install it? (I need the context popup)

I assume you are using one of the Vim7 snapshots from the FTP archive.  A
couple of things:

1) Using the layout you have now, you would run install.exe from the
D:\tmp\vim70aa\runtime directory.  This is because with a normal install on
Windows, the runtime directory would become the vim70aa directory.

2) To get the entries in the context menu, you need the gvimext.dll file,
and install.exe will expect to find it in the same directory as
filetype.vim (D:\tmp\vim70aa\runtime in your case) so you will need to
compile it and put it there for it to work.

You may also need to rename the runtime directory to vim70aa to make it work.

Dan Sharp

Gergely Kontra wrote:

> I've successfully compiled vim7 for windows (mingw).
> I've problems running install.exe.
> I've unpacked the sources to a dir called vim70aa, but install.exe is in=20
> the src directory.
>
> However, if I run it from the src directory I get:
> kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa/src
> $ install.exe
> This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA
>
> ERROR: Install program not in directory "vim70aa"
> This program can only work when it is located in its original directory
>
> On the other hand, if I cheat and copy the install.exe one level upper:
> kgergely@PIHENTAGY /d/tmp/vim70aa
> $ ./install.exe=20
> This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0aa ALPHA
>
> ERROR: Cannot find filetype.vim in "d:\tmp\vim70aa"
> It looks like you did not unpack the runtime archive.
> You must unpack the runtime archive "vim70aart.zip" before installing
>
> So how can I simply install it? (I need the context popup)

You don't have to install it.  The dosinst program doesn't move the
runtime files anyway.  They must be in the "vim70aa" directory, if you
used CVS or unpacked the Unix archive you need to move everything up one
level from the "runtime" directory.

You can move the *.exe one directory up and execute them from there.  Or
move the executables to a directory in your $PATH and set $VIM to point
to the directory where the "vim70aa" directory is located.

The Make_ming.mak file could support a "make install" but it doesn't.
Perhaps someone will write it one day...

The procedure I use to generate the zip archives that are install-ready
is in the toplevel Makefile.

--
SECOND SOLDIER: It could be carried by an African swallow!
FIRST SOLDIER:  Oh  yes! An African swallow maybe ... but not a European