vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Sand Glass
I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Gua Chung Lim
Hi,

Did you mean :set showcmd ?

--
Gua Chung Lim

If you desire knowledges, learn one thing everyday.
If you desire wisdom, leave one thing everyday.

-- Lao Tzu

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:30:28 PM UTC+8, Pete wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you mean :set showcmd ?
>
> --
> Gua Chung Lim
>
> If you desire knowledges, learn one thing everyday.
> If you desire wisdom, leave one thing everyday.
>
> -- Lao Tzu
>
> * Sand Glass ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I use vim74, In windows? or redhat?I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> > But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?
> >
> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
not showcmd.

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Wolf Bogacz
I have something similar which shows as a construct of my statusline.

help statusline
especially the values vV c lL P

The relevant part of mine includes:

col:%c%V\ lin:%l\/%L\ %P

which shows like this:   col:5 lin:10/20 50%
meaning column 5, line 10 of 20, 50% file lines.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Sand Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:30:28 PM UTC+8, Pete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did you mean :set showcmd ?
>
> --
> Gua Chung Lim
>
> If you desire knowledges, learn one thing everyday.
> If you desire wisdom, leave one thing everyday.
>
> -- Lao Tzu
>
> * Sand Glass ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I use vim74, In windows? or redhat?I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> > But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?
> >
> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---

not showcmd.

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Ben Fritz
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 7:25:03 PM UTC-5, Sand Glass wrote:
> I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?

Someone already suggested the statusline option.

If you only have one window open, by default no status line (where the other information is usually shown) is displayed. The 'laststatus' option controls this, set it to 2 to always display it.

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:25:03 AM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?

I tried statusline and laststatus. Cannot find I wanted.
When I into visual mode, the bottom line will show '-- VISUAL LINE --', and right will show selected lines number in windows. But Ubuntu don't show selected lines number.

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Sand Glass
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:25:03 AM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?

I tried statusline and laststatus. Cannot find I wanted.
When I into visual mode, the bottom line will show '-- VISUAL LINE --', and right will show selected lines number in windows OS. But Ubuntu don't show selected lines number.

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 05 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:

> On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:25:03 AM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> > I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> > But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?
>
> I tried statusline and laststatus. Cannot find I wanted.
> When I into visual mode, the bottom line will show '-- VISUAL LINE --', and right will show selected lines number in windows. But Ubuntu don't show selected lines number.

:set showcmd

Best,
Christian
--
Hat der Bauer Haarausfall, ist's im Winter warm im Stall.

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 11:39:17 PM UTC+8, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Di, 05 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:25:03 AM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> > > I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> > > But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?
> >
> > I tried statusline and laststatus. Cannot find I wanted.
> > When I into visual mode, the bottom line will show '-- VISUAL LINE --', and right will show selected lines number in windows. But Ubuntu don't show selected lines number.
>
> :set showcmd
>

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Hat der Bauer Haarausfall, ist's im Winter warm im Stall.
Yes, it can solve my puzzle.

Re: vim74 cannot see selected line number in ubuntu desktop

Sand Glass
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 11:39:17 PM UTC+8, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Di, 05 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:25:03 AM UTC+8, Sand Glass wrote:
> > > I use vim74, In windows, or redhat,I can see current cursor (row,column) number and selected lines number in right-bottom default.
> > > But I only can see current cursor (row,column) number in ubuntu, how can I see the selected lines number?
> >
> > I tried statusline and laststatus. Cannot find I wanted.
> > When I into visual mode, the bottom line will show '-- VISUAL LINE --', and right will show selected lines number in windows. But Ubuntu don't show selected lines number.
>
> :set showcmd
>

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Hat der Bauer Haarausfall, ist's im Winter warm im Stall.
It's OK. But I have 'set showcmd' in my .vimrc file. It seems not work when gvim start up. By the way, my other configs can work.

On Mi, 06 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:

> It's OK. But I have 'set showcmd' in my .vimrc file. It seems not work when gvim start up. By the way, my other configs can work.

You can check `:verbose set showcmd?` to check where it was last reset.

Best,
Christian
--
Politik wird immer noch mit dem Kopf und nicht mit dem Kehlkopf
gemacht.

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 11:20:29 PM UTC+8, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Mi, 06 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:
>
> > It's OK. But I have 'set showcmd' in my .vimrc file. It seems not work when gvim start up. By the way, my other configs can work.
>
> You can check `:verbose set showcmd?` to check where it was last reset.
>
> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Politik wird immer noch mit dem Kopf und nicht mit dem Kehlkopf
> gemacht.
> -- Helmut Kohl
I find the bug. I set twice 'set nocompatible', first before 'set showcmd', the second after 'set showcmd'. Thanks a lot.