vimdiff appears broken in 7

Bill McCarthy
Hello Vim Developers,

When each new version comes out, I vimdiff the old and new
.txt files in the doc directory with the previous version.

Several times now I've seen strange results.  Until tonight,
I haven't taken the time to investigate.  Compare the
current pi_netrw.txt to the previous version of it.

The vimdiff works fine using vim 6.3.86.  Using the latest
build, the right side of the display looks fine, but the
left is rather strange.

If you don't have a copy of the prior pi_netrw.txt, you can
create it by copying the latest to an empty directory - for
safety - and then applying the attached patch as follows:

    copy pi_netrw.txt pi_new
    patch <diff
    ren pi_netrw.txt pi_old

Now try:  gvim -d pi_new pi_old

Bill

Re: vimdiff appears broken in 7

A.J.Mechelynck
> When each new version comes out, I vimdiff the old and new
> .txt files in the doc directory with the previous version.
>
> Several times now I've seen strange results.  Until tonight,
> I haven't taken the time to investigate.  Compare the
> current pi_netrw.txt to the previous version of it.
>
> The vimdiff works fine using vim 6.3.86.  Using the latest
> build, the right side of the display looks fine, but the
> left is rather strange.
>
> If you don't have a copy of the prior pi_netrw.txt, you can
> create it by copying the latest to an empty directory - for
> safety - and then applying the attached patch as follows:
>
>    copy pi_netrw.txt pi_new
>    patch <diff
>    ren pi_netrw.txt pi_old
>
> Now try:  gvim -d pi_new pi_old
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Bill

Works for me with the latest (tonight's) Vim 7 (snapshot 0123) on W32, both
with :edit, :vsplit, :edit, :diffthis, ^Ww, :diffthis and with gvim -d.
Using a colorscheme only very slightly different from the default, "diff"
styles not affected.

On the left side (6.3 version of the file) I see lines of blue-on-cyan
dashes for the lines which exist only in the other file (and are marked
black-on-blue on the right). I don't see anything wrong.

On Thu 4-Aug-05 10:46pm -0500, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Works for me with the latest (tonight's) Vim 7 (snapshot 0123) on W32

Thanks for trying it out.  I should have first tried it out
with:  gvim -u NONE -N -d file1 file2

That worked fine in 7.

After a bit of detective work, I found the culprit.  In my
_vimrc file I had this autocmd:

    autocmd VimEnter * nested
      \ if argc()>1 |
      \   last |
      \   rewind |
      \ endif

Although I understand what it does, I don't remember why I'm
doing it :-(

With that autocmd defined as the ONLY thing in _vimrc, then:

    gvim -U NONE -d pi_new pi_old

fails.  To my bigger surprise, it also failed with 6.3 even
though 6.3 worked fine with my full _vimrc.

Very strange.

Bill