vimim is ready!

Sean-130

An updated version of vimim.vim (former known as ChineseIM.vim) is
ready.

Please note it should work for any language which needs input
method. Chinese language is picked up for demonstration here.

Based on overwhelming feedback, I made the following major
improvements:

(1) finalized naming:
    vimim -- input method by vim, of vim, for vimmers

(2) made data file format simple and flexible, supporting two ways
    which are transparent to end users and without performance penalty

(3) offered 5 popular sample data files for inputing Chinese:
     (A) vimim.py: Chinese input method for PinYin
     (B) vimim.wb: Chinese input method for WuBi
     (C) vimim.cj: Chinese input method for CangJie
     (D) vimim.en: Chinese input method for English
     (E) vimim.4j: Chinese input method for 4 Corner

(4) made a pretty instruction written in Chinese:
    http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

(5) made vimim stable by fixing miscellaneous bugs

(6) offered a consistent download location:

Data File:
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.py
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.wb
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.cj
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.en
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.4j

Latest Script:
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.vim

Screen Shot:
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.gif

Thanks helps from everyone and welcome feedbacks.

Sean

Re: vimim is ready!

bill lam

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009, Sean wrote:
> (3) offered 5 popular sample data files for inputing Chinese:
>      (A) vimim.py: Chinese input method for PinYin
>      (B) vimim.wb: Chinese input method for WuBi
>      (C) vimim.cj: Chinese input method for CangJie
>      (D) vimim.en: Chinese input method for English
>      (E) vimim.4j: Chinese input method for 4 Corner

Could you also include data file for "速成" ? Because vimim does not
allow wildcard, cangjie can not be overloaded as "速成".

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

It is available now. Thanks for your help.

http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.vim
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.qk

Sean

On Jan 9, 7:50 pm, bill lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009, Sean wrote:
> > (3) offered 5 popular sample data files for inputing Chinese:
> >      (A) vimim.py: Chinese input method for PinYin
> >      (B) vimim.wb: Chinese input method for WuBi
> >      (C) vimim.cj: Chinese input method for CangJie
> >      (D) vimim.en: Chinese input method for English
> >      (E) vimim.4j: Chinese input method for 4 Corner
>
> Could you also include data file for "速成" ? Because vimim does not
> allow wildcard, cangjie can not be overloaded as "速成".
>
> --
> regards,
> GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24
> gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4434BAB3
> 唐詩300 李商隱  為有
>     為有雲屏無限嬌  鳳城寒盡怕春宵  無端嫁得金龜婿  辜負香衾事早朝

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

A new version of vimim is out.

After hundreds email exchanges to collect requirements, to discuss new
features and to fix bugs, I finally came out vimim version 2.0 for
review. New features include:

(1) relieve UTF-8 encoding restriction
(2) support all power wildcard *
(3) support labeling on menu
(4) support all capitals English input
(5) beautify instruction in Chinese using vimim at
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

Re: vimim is ready!

Yue Wu

Why vimim match whole pattern combined with numbers and alphabets? Say I
have <key> 'aaa' in my datafile, but when I input 8aaa<space> vimim
doesn't complete it, how inconvinient for use.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 03:34:12 +0800, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of vimim is out.
>
> After hundreds email exchanges to collect requirements, to discuss new
> features and to fix bugs, I finally came out vimim version 2.0 for
> review. New features include:
>
> (1) relieve UTF-8 encoding restriction
> (2) support all power wildcard *
> (3) support labeling on menu
> (4) support all capitals English input
> (5) beautify instruction in Chinese using vimim at
> http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

Van.

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

A new version of vimim is out.

After another hundreds email exchanges, I finally came out vimim
version 2.1 for review. New features include:

(1) add "easter eggs"
(2) add dynamic menu
(3) add quick English input
(4) support fuzzy search
(5) support fuzzy pinyin
(6) support "auto spell"
(7) enable all commom options by default
(8) all options can be explictly closed
(9) beautify instruction in Chinese using vimim at
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

An updated vimim is published for review:
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=2506

New features include:
(1) add support for direct CJK input using unicode number
(2) add option g:enable_pinyin_tone_input for pinyin tone

More screenshots can be found at
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

Another new version of vimim is published for review:
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=2506

I added a dummy English to Chinese translator, showing the potential
of the Vim.
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim_translator.gif

Re: vimim is ready!

windstorm

Thanks Sean, this is a great job

On Feb 14, 2:39 am, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another new version of vimim is published for review:http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=2506
>
> I added a dummy English to Chinese translator, showing the potential
> of the Vim.http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim_translator.gif

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

Hello,

Another new version of vimim.vim is released for review.

This time, one of the most requested feature was added.  Now, vimim
can dynamically adjust the order of the Chinese words selection
sequence based on the past usage frequency.

The tough part is to "remember" user's selection, which is not
predictable. If you are interested in details, you can check
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.vim.html

I found a funny thing when I tried to compare vimim with those big
name commercial IME products. Some of the big features they claimed
are so interesting. For the sake of completeness, with few lines of
codes, I also added to vimim these competitive features of IME:

(1) being able to type English web addresses
(2) being able to type English email addresses
(3) being able to use "txt" as the data/dictionary file extension

Sean

Re: vimim is ready!

bill lam

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Sean wrote:
> I found a funny thing when I tried to compare vimim with those big
> name commercial IME products. Some of the big features they claimed
> are so interesting. For the sake of completeness, with few lines of

Nice to see another update! I can think of a useful feature in m$ ime
is that it can do 'reverse encoding' (I don't know its exact name).
When a valid character is chosen, it can automatically display the
code of the same character in another chosen encoding method. eg. when
entered MMM for '三', the '三' goes into the text and 'san1' (correct
pinyin? that's reason why this feature is useful) will displayed at
the bottom line of the ime popup box.

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24
唐詩295 杜牧  贈別二首之一
    娉娉嫋嫋十三餘  豆蔻梢頭二月初  春風十里揚州路  卷上珠簾總不如

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

On Feb 16, 6:11 pm, bill lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Sean wrote:
> > I found a funny thing when I tried to compare vimim with those big
> > name commercial IME products. Some of the big features they claimed
> > are so interesting. For the sake of completeness, with few lines of
>
> Nice to see another update! I can think of a useful feature in m$ ime
> is that it can do 'reverse encoding' (I don't know its exact name).
> When a valid character is chosen, it can automatically display the
> code of the same character in another chosen encoding method. eg. when
> entered MMM for '三', the '三' goes into the text and 'san1' (correct
> pinyin? that's reason why this feature is useful) will displayed at
> the bottom line of the ime popup box.

This is certainly possible, and it is not as hard as the new feature I
added.  The main idea is to build a hash table and play with it.  One
big problem, though, is memory usage. We may add it as an option.

So far, the vimim has only over 1300 lines of codes including
comments, and can do most and sometimes more comparing to those big
name IMEs product which may include over 10MB download.

Sean

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

Hello,

Another new version of vimim.vim is released for review.

New features includes:

(1) make dynamic-order-sequence persistent
(2) add one super option for xingma, which can be auto set
(3) build crash-proof logic to get rid of full table scan
(4) optimize search algorithm: faster with less CPU & memory

Now, vimim can not only dynamically adjust the order of the Chinese
words selection sequence based on the past usage frequency, but also
make it persistent.

Also updated is the search algorithm, thanks to enormous amount of
help and inspiration from this vim news group.

Again, more pictures were added to VimIM instruction at
http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/vimim.html

Sean

Re: vimim is ready!

Sean-130

Hello,

Another new version of vimim.vim is released for review.

Based on request from a user from Taiwan, I added support for "array
input method".  While there is no need to modify vimim for regular
datafile using alphabet as key code, special cares have to be taken
for special input method in which punctuations are used as key code.

I made it a true "plug and play" fashion. No special global variable
is needed. It is auto enabled while the name of datafile contains
"array".

It is interesting to see vimim is used in Taiwan, where virtually none
is using pinyin I guess. Not sure what other input methods are used in
addition to "array". Hopefully vimim is also helpful there.

Sean