vimoutliner -> mindmap

Henrik Holst-5
I was wondering if anyone has thought about some ideas
to generate mindmaps from vimoutliner data?

I was thinking about graphviz or something similar
to generate nice looking charts from vimouitliner text.

Checkout some of the mindmap examples here:
http://www.graphviz.org/Gallery.php

It would be optimal if the charts could be color coded
according to percentage done or similar. I think
vimoutliner text could be parsed into some
hierarchical data, fairly easy... or?

I would like some input before continuing on this
if you know of similar attempts or have ideas! :-)

--
Henrik Holst, Sweden      | TYPING IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THINKING
holst CHR(64) matmech.com | - A Manual for BASIC,
                          |   Darthmouth College, 1 October 1964

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Noel Henson
On Monday 01 September 2008, Henrik Holst wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has thought about some ideas
> to generate mindmaps from vimoutliner data?
>
> I was thinking about graphviz or something similar
> to generate nice looking charts from vimouitliner text.
>
> Checkout some of the mindmap examples here:
> http://www.graphviz.org/Gallery.php
>
> It would be optimal if the charts could be color coded
> according to percentage done or similar. I think
> vimoutliner text could be parsed into some
> hierarchical data, fairly easy... or?
>
> I would like some input before continuing on this
> if you know of similar attempts or have ideas! :-)

I installed graphviz and took a quick look at the syntax. It should be no
problem at all to write a graphviz exporter either in vim or in any dynamic
scripting language. Just define the nodes then define the links.

Noel

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Julian Ryde
I was trying to do this (outliner to mindmap) just the other day and I
found the following tool

http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2007/10/text-to-freemind-released

which converts indented text to freemind.  The latest version of
freemind can convert to lots of different formats.  So I was using this
to generate a presentation in openoffice/powerpoint with each first
level the slide title, the second level bullet points on the slide and
third level sub points etc.

Regards

Julian

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Noel Henson
And many thanks to Julian who, by the way he uses VO, aided in the exposure
and correction of several VO loading bugs.

Thanks!

Noel

On Monday 01 September 2008, Julian Ryde wrote:

> I was trying to do this (outliner to mindmap) just the other day and I
> found the following tool
>
> http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2007/10/text-to-freemind-released
>
> which converts indented text to freemind.  The latest version of
> freemind can convert to lots of different formats.  So I was using this
> to generate a presentation in openoffice/powerpoint with each first
> level the slide title, the second level bullet points on the slide and
> third level sub points etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Julian

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Ulrich Brinkmann
On 2. September 2008 Julian Ryde wrote:

> I was trying to do this (outliner to mindmap) just the other day and I
> found the following tool
>
> http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2007/10/text-to-freemind-released
>
> which converts indented text to freemind.  The latest version of
> freemind can convert to lots of different formats.  So I was using this
> to generate a presentation in openoffice/powerpoint with each first
> level the slide title, the second level bullet points on the slide and
> third level sub points etc.

Thank you for the link. I was always looking for a painless (i.e. not
involving too much programming on my part) way to convert VO to freemind.
I found, however, that text-to-freemind doesn't convert textblocks (which
in my debian VO are signified by a space after the indenting tabs (and not
a colon)) 'gracefully', so I added (maybe clumsily) some lines that make
of that kind of text a subnode in freemind. See attachment...

Thank you and regards

Uli Brinkmann

text-to-freemind-w-textblocks (6K) Download Attachment

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Noel Henson
Henrik,

Here is a bug-fixed version of otl2tags.py and a config file for generating
graphviz dot files. Please let me know how it works for you.

Run it with:
otl2tags.py -c gv.conf file.otl > file.gv
dot -T [whatever] file.gv > file.[whatever]

Have fun!

Noel

On Monday 01 September 2008, Henrik Holst wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has thought about some ideas
> to generate mindmaps from vimoutliner data?
>
> I was thinking about graphviz or something similar
> to generate nice looking charts from vimouitliner text.
>
> Checkout some of the mindmap examples here:
> http://www.graphviz.org/Gallery.php
>
> It would be optimal if the charts could be color coded
> according to percentage done or similar. I think
> vimoutliner text could be parsed into some
> hierarchical data, fairly easy... or?
>
> I would like some input before continuing on this
> if you know of similar attempts or have ideas! :-)

gv.conf (1K) Download Attachment
otl2tags.py (23K) Download Attachment

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Noel Henson
Henrik,

I should mention that there is no support for tables yet. I'll have to work
on the gv.conf file some more.

Noel

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Henrik Holst-5
On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 01:12:15PM -0700, Noel Henson wrote:

> Henrik,
>
> Here is a bug-fixed version of otl2tags.py and a config file for generating
> graphviz dot files. Please let me know how it works for you.
>
> Run it with:
> otl2tags.py -c gv.conf file.otl > file.gv
> dot -T [whatever] file.gv > file.[whatever]
>
> Have fun!
>
> Noel

Hi Noel!

You have made a really cool script!

But I do not understand what I am doing wrong because
it fails to resolve some basic hirarcies:

My file.otl:

hello project
        test 1
                test 1 sub
        test 2
                test 2 sub

But it generates a graph like:

hello project -> test 1 -> { test 1 sub , test 2 -> test 2 sub }

Any ideas?
--
Henrik Holst, Sweden      | TYPING IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THINKING
holst CHR(64) matmech.com | - A Manual for BASIC,
                          |   Darthmouth College, 1 October 1964

Re: vimoutliner -> mindmap

Noel Henson
Henrik,

I'm working on that now. I discovered it this morning. I was using too
simple an outline for testing and could not see the errors. Eg.

Noel