vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Chris Burkhardt
Someone just posted to the main vim mailing list that vimoutliner.org is gone
(it gives simply a message about the domain name). Anyone know what's happening?

- Chris

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Steve Litt
On Thursday 27 November 2008 11:13:39 am Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> Someone just posted to the main vim mailing list that vimoutliner.org is
> gone (it gives simply a message about the domain name). Anyone know what's
> happening?
>
> - Chris

I just did a whois, and it looks like someone from Portugal registered it on
November 22. For ransom, I'd imagine. What other good could it do anyone but
us?. I've included the text of the whois at the bottom of this email.

I think this means is pretty soon this mailing list is going to stop
functioning. We need to quickly figure out who's subscribed so we can make a
new mailing list, and we have to figure out a new domain name. We also have
to get our archives backed up -- IIRC they're mirrored on gmane.

Noel -- is there any possible way this could be explained other than the guys
in Portugal registering vimoutliner.org?

Everyone: Be thinking of good domain names with which to replace
vimoutliner.org.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

NOTICE: Access to .ORG WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in
determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the Public
Interest Registry
registry database. The data in this record is provided by Public Interest
Registry
for informational purposes only, and Public Interest Registry does not
guarantee its
accuracy.  This service is intended only for query-based access.  You agree
that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this data to: (a) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than
the data recipient's own existing customers; or (b) enable high volume,
automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of
Registry Operator or any ICANN-Accredited Registrar, except as reasonably
necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations.  All
rights reserved. Public Interest Registry reserves the right to modify these
terms at any
time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Domain ID:D101527842-LROR
Domain Name:VIMOUTLINER.ORG
Created On:02-Oct-2003 01:17:49 UTC
Last Updated On:22-Nov-2008 12:13:43 UTC
Expiration Date:02-Oct-2009 01:17:49 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Register.com Inc. (R71-LROR)
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:52594641e9595468
Registrant Name:Domain Discreet
Registrant Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
Registrant Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Funchal
Registrant State/Province:Madeira
Registrant Postal Code:9004-521
Registrant Country:PT
Registrant Phone:+361.19027495331
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[hidden email]
Admin ID:26303431e9299267
Admin Name:Domain Discreet
Admin Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
Admin Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Funchal
Admin State/Province:Madeira
Admin Postal Code:9004-521
Admin Country:PT
Admin Phone:+361.19027495331
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[hidden email]
Admin ID:39341297d9ad4574
Admin Name:Domain Discreet
Admin Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
Admin Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Funchal
Admin State/Province:Madeira
Admin Postal Code:9004-521
Admin Country:PT
Admin Phone:+361.19027495331
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[hidden email]
Tech ID:35083217da238840
Tech Name:Domain Discreet
Tech Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
Tech Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Funchal
Tech State/Province:Madeira
Tech Postal Code:9004-521
Tech Country:PT
Tech Phone:+361.19027495331
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[hidden email]
Tech ID:34980891e9818240
Tech Name:Domain Discreet
Tech Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
Tech Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Funchal
Tech State/Province:Madeira
Tech Postal Code:9004-521
Tech Country:PT
Tech Phone:+361.19027495331
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[hidden email]
Name Server:DNS156.A.REGISTER.COM
Name Server:DNS126.B.REGISTER.COM
Name Server:DNS014.C.REGISTER.COM
Name Server:DNS010.D.REGISTER.COM
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Noel Henson
On Thursday 27 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:

> [...]
> Registrant Phone:+361.19027495331
> Registrant Phone Ext.:
> Registrant FAX:
> Registrant FAX Ext.:
> Registrant Email:[hidden email]
> Admin ID:26303431e9299267
> Admin Name:Domain Discreet
> Admin Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org
> Admin Street1:Avenida do Infante 50
> Admin Street2:
> Admin Street3:
> Admin City:Funchal
> Admin State/Province:Madeira
> Admin Postal Code:9004-521
> Admin Country:PT
> Admin Phone:+361.19027495331
> Admin Phone Ext.:
> Admin FAX:
> Admin FAX Ext.:
> Admin Email:[hidden email]
> Admin ID:39341297d9ad4574
> Admin Name:Domain Discreet
> Admin Organization:ATTN: vimoutliner.org

Crap. I have automatic domain reregistration on this domain. I'll get to
work on it right away.

Noel

On Thursday 27 November 2008 12:24:49 pm Noel Henson wrote:

> On Thursday 27 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 November 2008 11:13:39 am Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> > > Someone just posted to the main vim mailing list that vimoutliner.org
> > > is gone (it gives simply a message about the domain name). Anyone know
> > > what's happening?
> > >
> > > - Chris
> >
> > I just did a whois, and it looks like someone from Portugal registered
> > it on November 22. For ransom, I'd imagine. What other good could it do
> > anyone but us?. I've included the text of the whois at the bottom of
> > this email.
> >
> > I think this means is pretty soon this mailing list is going to stop
> > functioning. We need to quickly figure out who's subscribed so we can
> > make a new mailing list, and we have to figure out a new domain name. We
> > also have to get our archives backed up -- IIRC they're mirrored on
> > gmane.
> >
> > Noel -- is there any possible way this could be explained other than the
> > guys in Portugal registering vimoutliner.org?
> >
> > Everyone: Be thinking of good domain names with which to replace
> > vimoutliner.org.
[clip]

> Crap. I have automatic domain reregistration on this domain. I'll get to
> work on it right away.
>
> Noel

Noel, let me know if there's any help you need. If you can't get it back we'll
just register another name and let the Portugese crooks keep paying ten bucks
a year for the rest of their lives.

On Thursday 27 November 2008 12:28:24 pm Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008 12:24:49 pm Noel Henson wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:

> [clip]
>
> > Crap. I have automatic domain reregistration on this domain. I'll get to
> > work on it right away.
> >
> > Noel
>
> Noel, let me know if there's any help you need. If you can't get it back
> we'll just register another name and let the Portugese crooks keep paying
> ten bucks a year for the rest of their lives.
>
> SteveT

Bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha! I just love when badguys get screwed by their own
misdeads. The Portugese pirates are gonna be paying ten bucks a year for the
rest of their lives, and oh, guess who registered vimoutliner.COM in October
2007? That would be me :-)

So the worst that happens to us is we switch it to VimOutliner.COM. Crooks,
eat your hearts out!

We can even use this incident to get lots of publicity for VO under the guise
of telling everyone and their dog our new URL. We can start calling ourselves
the "real VimOutliner" or the "official VimOutliner". I love when a plan
comes together.

Noel -- please tell me where to point VimOutliner.COM and I'll do it today.
Whether or not we get back the .org, the .com should have been pointed to the
VO website in the first place.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Noel Henson
On Thursday 27 November 2008, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Thursday 27 November 2008 12:24:49 pm Noel Henson wrote:

> > > I just did a whois, and it looks like someone from Portugal
> > > registered it on November 22. For ransom, I'd imagine. What other
> > > good could it do anyone but us?. I've included the text of the whois
> > > at the bottom of this email.
> > >
> > > I think this means is pretty soon this mailing list is going to stop
> > > functioning. We need to quickly figure out who's subscribed so we
> > > can make a new mailing list, and we have to figure out a new domain
> > > name. We also have to get our archives backed up -- IIRC they're
> > > mirrored on gmane.
> > >
> > > Noel -- is there any possible way this could be explained other than
> > > the guys in Portugal registering vimoutliner.org?
> > >
> > > Everyone: Be thinking of good domain names with which to replace
> > > vimoutliner.org.
>
> [clip]
>
> > Crap. I have automatic domain reregistration on this domain. I'll get
> > to work on it right away.
> >
> > Noel
>
> Noel, let me know if there's any help you need. If you can't get it back
> we'll just register another name and let the Portugese crooks keep
> paying ten bucks a year for the rest of their lives.
>
> SteveT

Already on it.

It IS all my fault. The domain expiration was actually in my SPAM folder
from last month. I just haven't reviewed my SPAM for some time.

Sorry everyone. I messed up.

Noel

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Noel Henson

Hey! Wait a minute!

I don't think I messed up at all. Only my private registration is expired.
The domain is still registered by me until 10/2/2009. There is something
strange going on here. Unfortunately it's a holiday. I'll deal Register.com
tomorrow tomorrow when I can get some help. I also have DomainLock turned
on so the domain can't be transferred.

This is just confusing.

Noel

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Noel Henson
Nobody panic.

I just got off the phone with Register.com. All is well, mostly.

The information shown in whois is a side effect of having private domain
registration. We still control the domain. But for some reason, going to
the website is not making it to the server. It may be a routing issue that
has nothing to do with us. I'm currently tracking down the real issue.
Bear with me.

Noel

PS: I'll map the vimoutliner.com domain once I have this other issue
resolved.

Noel Henson wrote:
> Nobody panic.
>
> I just got off the phone with Register.com. All is well, mostly.
>
> The information shown in whois is a side effect of having private domain
> registration. We still control the domain. But for some reason, going to
> the website is not making it to the server. It may be a routing issue that
> has nothing to do with us. I'm currently tracking down the real issue.
> Bear with me.

Noel,

I'm still getting the "This domain has just been registered for one of our
customers!" message from vimoutline.org

It seems to be resolving correctly (the mailing list archives are still
reachable); it looks to me like the index.html page was simply replaced. That's
even more disconcerting than a hijacked domain name.

- Chris

Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Chris Burkhardt
> It seems to be resolving correctly (the mailing list archives are still
> reachable)

Is 217.160.243.125 address it should be resolving to?

dig vimoutliner.org

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> vimoutliner.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;vimoutliner.org.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
vimoutliner.org.        85895   IN      A       217.160.243.125

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.2#53(192.168.0.2)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 27 15:11:28 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49

Re: Re: vimoutliner.org domain expired?

Noel Henson
That's the correct address. It was working for me earlier. I won't be able
to investigate further until tomorrow.

Noel

Noel Henson wrote:
> That's the correct address. It was working for me earlier. I won't be able
> to investigate further until tomorrow.

It's working for me as of this morning. I might have been getting an old cached
copy or something earlier.

Thanks for your work!

- Chris

On Friday 28 November 2008 11:25:25 am Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> Noel Henson wrote:
> > That's the correct address. It was working for me earlier. I won't be
> > able to investigate further until tomorrow.
>
> It's working for me as of this morning. I might have been getting an old
> cached copy or something earlier.

It works for me now too, although I had to view->reload to get it to work.

> Thanks for your work!

Very definitely, on this and everything about the project.