.vimrc Woes

Avinash Vora

Hey,

I'm both a Vim/MacVim newbie, and was having a bit of trouble with
my .vimrc.

I set ":colorscheme <something>" in there, but it doesn't seem to
change.  I'd like it to be something from the Edit>Color Scheme menu
permanently, but I can't get it working.  I assume it is something
extremely simple, but I'd love the help.

Thanks

Re: .vimrc Woes

Andrew Stewart

On 23 Jun 2008, at 09:08, Avi wrote:
> I'm both a Vim/MacVim newbie, and was having a bit of trouble with
> my .vimrc.
>
> I set ":colorscheme <something>" in there, but it doesn't seem to
> change.  I'd like it to be something from the Edit>Color Scheme menu
> permanently, but I can't get it working.  I assume it is something
> extremely simple, but I'd love the help.

Try without the colon, i.e.:

colorscheme vividchalk    (or whatever colours you like).

Regards,
Andy Stewart

-------
AirBlade Software Ltd
http://airbladesoftware.com

Re: .vimrc Woes

Avinash Vora

Andy,

Brilliant, thanks.  Worked perfectly.  Any reason why with the colon
it didn't work?  Everything else in my .vimrc was working perfectly (a
few :abbr and formatting options is all I really have).

Thanks,

Avi

On 23 Jun 2008, at 11:43, Avi wrote:
> Brilliant, thanks.  Worked perfectly.  Any reason why with the colon
> it didn't work?  Everything else in my .vimrc was working perfectly (a
> few :abbr and formatting options is all I really have).

Glad it worked.

Chapter 5 of Vim's user manual explains what's allowed in the config
file(s), so it's probably worth skimming through it.  In a nutshell,
"The vimrc file can contain all the commands that you type after a
colon."

Regards,
Andy Stewart

-------
AirBlade Software Ltd
http://airbladesoftware.com

Re: .vimrc Woes

Ted Pavlic

Note that ":colorscheme" (with a colon) works fine for me in my .vimrc
and .gvimrc.

So, I'm a little surprised about the colon thing.

(note that I am *NOT* in compatibility mode, which might be the difference)

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]>

Re: .vimrc Woes

Alex Esplin

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that ":colorscheme" (with a colon) works fine for me in my .vimrc
> and .gvimrc.
>
> So, I'm a little surprised about the colon thing.
>
> (note that I am *NOT* in compatibility mode, which might be the difference)

The first thing any sane person should have in ther .vimrc/.gvimrc is:

set nocompatible

:)

--
Alex Esplin