_vimrc loading fails

12

_vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Hi,

Under Windows 10, vim8.4.466 x86, I got _vimrc under $VIM and filereadable(expand('$vim/_vimrc')) returns 1

From help, it is written

MS-Windows $HOME/_vimrc, $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
                                or $VIM/_vimrc             <<< filereadable returns 1

I don't understand why I don't see my _vimrc loaded!

Thank you
Ni Va

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ben Fritz
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 3:50:05 AM UTC-5, Ni Va wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under Windows 10, vim8.4.466 x86, I got _vimrc under $VIM and filereadable(expand('$vim/_vimrc')) returns 1
>
> From help, it is written
>
> MS-Windows $HOME/_vimrc, $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
> or $VIM/_vimrc             <<< filereadable returns 1
>

> I don't understand why I don't see my _vimrc loaded!
>
> Thank you
> Ni Va
How did you determine loading failed? Did you run ":scriptnames" and notice it isn't in the list, or some other way?

How did you launch Vim?

Do you have any of the other vimrc file locations present on your system?

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le vendredi 12 octobre 2018 20:59:31 UTC+2, Ben Fritz a écrit :

> On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 3:50:05 AM UTC-5, Ni Va wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Under Windows 10, vim8.4.466 x86, I got _vimrc under $VIM and filereadable(expand('$vim/_vimrc')) returns 1
> >
> > From help, it is written
> >
> > MS-Windows $HOME/_vimrc, $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
> > or $VIM/_vimrc             <<< filereadable returns 1
> >

> > I don't understand why I don't see my _vimrc loaded!
> >
> > Thank you
> > Ni Va
>
> How did you determine loading failed? Did you run ":scriptnames" and notice it isn't in the list, or some other way?
>
> How did you launch Vim?
>
> Do you have any of the other vimrc file locations present on your system?
1. Launching gvim.8.1.470 by double clicking into vim81/gvim.exe
2. scriptnames gives a good list of loaded scripts

but I don't see syntax colors is missing out of this was loaded on initial computer
21: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vim81/syntax/nosyntax.vim

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 13:39:44 UTC+2, Ni Va a écrit :

> Le vendredi 12 octobre 2018 20:59:31 UTC+2, Ben Fritz a écrit :
> > On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 3:50:05 AM UTC-5, Ni Va wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Under Windows 10, vim8.4.466 x86, I got _vimrc under $VIM and filereadable(expand('$vim/_vimrc')) returns 1
> > >
> > > From help, it is written
> > >
> > > MS-Windows $HOME/_vimrc, $HOME/vimfiles/vimrc
> > > or $VIM/_vimrc             <<< filereadable returns 1
> > >

> > > I don't understand why I don't see my _vimrc loaded!
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > > Ni Va
> >
> > How did you determine loading failed? Did you run ":scriptnames" and notice it isn't in the list, or some other way?
> >
> > How did you launch Vim?
> >
> > Do you have any of the other vimrc file locations present on your system?
>
> 1. Launching gvim.8.1.470 by double clicking into vim81/gvim.exe
> 2. scriptnames gives a good list of loaded scripts
>
> but I don't see syntax colors is missing out of this was loaded on initial computer
> 21: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vim81/syntax/nosyntax.vim
and this one :  22: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

> but I don't see syntax colors is missing out of this was loaded on
> initial computer
> 21: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vim81/syntax/nosyntax.vim

nosyntax.vim will only be visible, if you issue `:syntax off`.

Best,
Christian
--
Der Abenteurer ist unentbehrlich, das wird allerdings erst
erkannt, wenn sich herausstellt, daß er Amerika entdeckt hat.

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 14:07:29 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt a écrit :

> On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:
>
> > but I don't see syntax colors is missing out of this was loaded on
> > initial computer
> > 21: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vim81/syntax/nosyntax.vim
>
> nosyntax.vim will only be visible, if you issue `:syntax off`.
>

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Der Abenteurer ist unentbehrlich, das wird allerdings erst
> erkannt, wenn sich herausstellt, daß er Amerika entdeckt hat.
> -- Ludwig Marcuse (Argumente und Rezepte)
Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.

This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim

The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.

Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

> Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.
>
> This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim
>
> The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.
>
> Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe

Please provide a minimum reproducible example. My guess is you have $VIM
or $VIMRUNTIME or your runtime setting setup differently, but you do not
provide enough information.

Christian

Re: _vimrc loading fails

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Ni Va <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 14:07:29 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt a écrit :
> > On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:
> >
> > > but I don't see syntax colors is missing out of this was loaded on
> > > initial computer
> > > 21: D:/Logiciels/Vim/vim81/syntax/nosyntax.vim
> >
> > nosyntax.vim will only be visible, if you issue `:syntax off`.
> >

> > Best,
> > Christian
> > --
> > Der Abenteurer ist unentbehrlich, das wird allerdings erst
> > erkannt, wenn sich herausstellt, daß er Amerika entdeckt hat.
> >               -- Ludwig Marcuse (Argumente und Rezepte)
>
> Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.
>
> This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim
>
> The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.
>
> Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe

Well, unless you unintentionally made a typo, ":colors nivacolors.cim"
cannot load nivacolors.vim because the name is different.

If it _is_ a typo, the following explanations are possible:
- the Vim executable which loads neither nosyntax.vim nor
nivacolors.vim was compiled with -syntax (see the output of :version)
- or else, it did not execute, respectively, the statements ":syntax
off" and ":colorscheme nivacolors". The suffix .vim is not necessary
in the command argument.

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 14:36:43 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Ni Va <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > nosyntax.vim will only be visible, if you issue `:syntax off`.
> > >

> > > Best,
> > > Christian
> > > --
> > > Der Abenteurer ist unentbehrlich, das wird allerdings erst
> > > erkannt, wenn sich herausstellt, daß er Amerika entdeckt hat.
> > >               -- Ludwig Marcuse (Argumente und Rezepte)
> >
> > Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.
> >
> > This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim
> >
> > The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.
> >
> > Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> > Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
>
> Well, unless you unintentionally made a typo, ":colors nivacolors.cim"
> cannot load nivacolors.vim because the name is different.
>
> If it _is_ a typo, the following explanations are possible:
> - the Vim executable which loads neither nosyntax.vim nor
> nivacolors.vim was compiled with -syntax (see the output of :version)
> - or else, it did not execute, respectively, the statements ":syntax
> off" and ":colorscheme nivacolors". The suffix .vim is not necessary
> in the command argument.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Computer A (OK) : Windows 10

 echo $VIM gives        D:\Logiciels\Vim
 echo $VIMRUNTIME gives D:\Logiciels\Vim\vim81

Computer B (KO) : Windows Seven

 echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86
 echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86\vim81

Note : Gvim 8.1.468 build on windows 10 with nmake msvc_build HUGE

What kind of informations are missing because I cannot transmit all kind of infos.

Thank you

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 14:35:43 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt a écrit :

> On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:
>
> > Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.
> >
> > This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim
> >
> > The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.
> >
> > Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> > Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
>
> Please provide a minimum reproducible example. My guess is you have $VIM
> or $VIMRUNTIME or your runtime setting setup differently, but you do not
> provide enough information.
>
> Christian
Computer A (OK) : Windows 10

 echo $VIM gives        D:\Logiciels\Vim
 echo $VIMRUNTIME gives D:\Logiciels\Vim\vim81

Computer B (KO) : Windows Seven

 echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86
 echo $VIMRUNTIME gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86\vim81

Re: _vimrc loading fails

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Ni Va <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 14:36:43 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

> > > Ok so I don't understand why in one case $vim/vimfiles/colors/nivacolors.vim are loaded on computer A and in other case it is not.
> > >
> > > This load is called from $MYVIMRC :  colors nivacolors.cim
> > >
> > > The only thing I note is difference directory from which gvim is launched.
> > >
> > > Computer A (OK) : D:\Softwares\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> > > Computer B (KO) : ~\Desktop\Vim\vim81\gvim.exe
> >
> > Well, unless you unintentionally made a typo, ":colors nivacolors.cim"
> > cannot load nivacolors.vim because the name is different.
> >
> > If it _is_ a typo, the following explanations are possible:
> > - the Vim executable which loads neither nosyntax.vim nor
> > nivacolors.vim was compiled with -syntax (see the output of :version)
> > - or else, it did not execute, respectively, the statements ":syntax
> > off" and ":colorscheme nivacolors". The suffix .vim is not necessary
> > in the command argument.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
>

> Computer A (OK) : Windows 10
>
>  echo $VIM gives        D:\Logiciels\Vim
>  echo $VIMRUNTIME gives D:\Logiciels\Vim\vim81
>

> Computer B (KO) : Windows Seven
>
>  echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86
>  echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86\vim81
>

> Note : Gvim 8.1.468 build on windows 10 with nmake msvc_build HUGE
>
> What kind of informations are missing because I cannot transmit all kind of infos.
>
> Thank you

Well, please do the following in each of the Vim executables separately:

1.    :redir @+
2.    :version
3.    :redir END

4. paste the result into a reply email but do not send it yet. What
interests me are:
(a) the first few lines, analogous to the following but obviously with
some changes, since you're on Windows and I'm on Linux:

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.1 (2018 May 18, compiled Oct 15 2018 01:25:22)
Included patches: 1-477
Compiled by [hidden email]
Big version with GTK2 GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

(b) whether the list of features below that includes +syntax or -syntax

After having removed the rest (the "uninteresting" parts), you can send it.

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Tony Mechelynck
P.S. In "paste the result" I meant "paste what is then in the clipboard".

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Mo, 15 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

>  echo $VIM gives        D:\Logiciels\Vim
>  echo $VIMRUNTIME gives D:\Logiciels\Vim\vim81
>

> Computer B (KO) : Windows Seven
>
>  echo $VIM gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86
>  echo $VIMRUNTIME gives        C:\users\foobar\desktop\Vim_x86\Vim_x86\vim81

So what is about &rtp setting? What about $HOME?

Best,
Christian
--
Warum ist "einsilbig" dreisilbig?

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 15:40:15 UTC+2, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :
> P.S. In "paste the result" I meant "paste what is then in the clipboard".
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Computer A OK
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.1 (2018 May 18, compiled Oct 15 2018 10:30:57)
MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-477
Compiled by foo.bar@foobar
Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl               +emacs_tags        +mouseshape        -tag_any_white
+arabic            +eval              +multi_byte        -tcl
+autocmd           +ex_extra          +multi_lang        -termguicolors
+autochdir         +extra_search      -mzscheme          +terminal
+autoservername    +farsi             -netbeans_intg     -tgetent
+balloon_eval      +file_in_path      +num64             -termresponse
-balloon_eval_term +find_in_path      +ole               +textobjects
+browse            +float             +packages          +timers
++builtin_terms    +folding           +path_extra        +title
+byte_offset       -footer            -perl              +toolbar
+channel           +gettext/dyn       +persistent_undo   +user_commands
+cindent           -hangul_input      -postscript        +vartabs
+clientserver      +iconv/dyn         +printer           +vertsplit
+clipboard         +insert_expand     +profile           +virtualedit
+cmdline_compl     +job               +python/dyn        +visual
+cmdline_hist      +jumplist          +python3/dyn       +visualextra
+cmdline_info      +keymap            +quickfix          +viminfo
+comments          +lambda            +reltime           +vreplace
+conceal           +langmap           +rightleft         -vtp
+cryptv            +libcall           +ruby/dyn          +wildignore
-cscope            +linebreak         +scrollbind        +wildmenu
+cursorbind        +lispindent        +signs             +windows
+cursorshape       +listcmds          +smartindent       +writebackup
+dialog_con_gui    +localmap          +startuptime       -xfontset
+diff              +lua/dyn           +statusline        -xim
+digraphs          +menu              -sun_workshop      -xpm_w32
+directx           +mksession         +syntax            -xterm_save
-dnd               +modify_fname      +tag_binary
-ebcdic            +mouse             +tag_old_static
   system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\vimrc"
 3rd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\gvimrc"
3rd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
       defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME\defaults.vim"
    system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"

Computer B KO

[...]

ComputerA.tar (13K) Download Attachment
ComputerB.tar (13K) Download Attachment

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le mardi 16 octobre 2018 09:20:41 UTC+2, Ni Va a écrit :

> [...]
> +dialog_con_gui    +localmap          +startuptime       -xfontset
> +diff              +lua/dyn           +statusline        -xim
> +digraphs          +menu              -sun_workshop      -xpm_w32
> +directx           +mksession         +syntax            -xterm_save
> -dnd               +modify_fname      +tag_binary
> -ebcdic            +mouse             +tag_old_static
>    system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
>      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
>  2nd user vimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\vimrc"
>  3rd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
>       user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
>   2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
>   system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
>     user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
> 2nd user gvimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\gvimrc"
> 3rd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
>        defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME\defaults.vim"
>     system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
And _vimrc used in both cases.

_vimrc (22K) Download Attachment

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 16 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

> And _vimrc used in both cases.

As said before, please create a minimal reproducible example. I don't
think anybody will have fun trying to debug a hundred lines long vimrc.

BTW: you still did not response to the difference in the runtime path
settings of $HOME.

Best,
Christian
--
Denn niemand ist so alt, daß er nicht glaubte, noch ein Jahr leben zu
können.

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le mardi 16 octobre 2018 10:59:51 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt a écrit :

> On Di, 16 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:
>
> > And _vimrc used in both cases.
>
> As said before, please create a minimal reproducible example. I don't
> think anybody will have fun trying to debug a hundred lines long vimrc.
>
> BTW: you still did not response to the difference in the runtime path
> settings of $HOME.
>
> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Denn niemand ist so alt, daß er nicht glaubte, noch ein Jahr leben zu
> können.
> -- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 v.Chr.)
Minimal reproducible example:

1. Download this gvim 32bits build 8.1.479 with HUGE feats
   From https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PA6uhn-8P_ELc7HquW5zaEpc8yBlgKHt
2. Unzip it on desktop under Windows Seven or 10
3. See if colorscheme nivacolors is loaded and colors like the attached PNG.

Capture.PNG (24K) Download Attachment

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 16 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

> > BTW: you still did not response to the difference in the runtime path
> > settings of $HOME.
>
> Minimal reproducible example:
>

> 1. Download this gvim 32bits build 8.1.479 with HUGE feats
>    From https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PA6uhn-8P_ELc7HquW5zaEpc8yBlgKHt
> 2. Unzip it on desktop under Windows Seven or 10
> 3. See if colorscheme nivacolors is loaded and colors like the attached PNG.

Same problem. $HOME is not set correctly. Move your Vim_x86/_vimrc  to
Vim_x86/vimrc and it will be sourced. Note, Vim will load $VIM/vimrc
(note the missing '_') as system vimrc file.

See the output of `:version` where Vim expects the vimrc file and then
check carefully your $HOME and $VIM variables if they match what you
expect.

Best,
Christian
--
Wer mit Gott Freund sein will, muß allein bleiben oder die ganze Welt
zu seinem Freund machen.

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Ni Va
Le mardi 16 octobre 2018 12:26:24 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt a écrit :

> On Di, 16 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:
>
> > > BTW: you still did not response to the difference in the runtime path
> > > settings of $HOME.
> >
> > Minimal reproducible example:
> >

> > 1. Download this gvim 32bits build 8.1.479 with HUGE feats
> >    From https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PA6uhn-8P_ELc7HquW5zaEpc8yBlgKHt
> > 2. Unzip it on desktop under Windows Seven or 10
> > 3. See if colorscheme nivacolors is loaded and colors like the attached PNG.
>
> Same problem. $HOME is not set correctly. Move your Vim_x86/_vimrc  to
> Vim_x86/vimrc and it will be sourced. Note, Vim will load $VIM/vimrc
> (note the missing '_') as system vimrc file.
>
> See the output of `:version` where Vim expects the vimrc file and then
> check carefully your $HOME and $VIM variables if they match what you
> expect.
>
> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Wer mit Gott Freund sein will, muß allein bleiben oder die ganze Welt
> zu seinem Freund machen.
> -- Mahatma Gandhi
Moving Vim_x86/_vimrc  to Vim_x86/vimrc and same problem colors not loaded.
=> echo $HOME returns void string.

I thought $HOME was set by Vim and not that user had to set it, no ?

Re: _vimrc loading fails

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 16 Okt 2018, Ni Va wrote:

> Moving Vim_x86/_vimrc  to Vim_x86/vimrc and same problem colors not loaded.

Works for me with your zip file. Are you sure, no other initialization
file overwrites your colorscheme? Is nivacolors in the output of
:scriptnames?

Also, check your runtimepath setting so that the colorscheme will be
found.

> => echo $HOME returns void string.
>
> I thought $HOME was set by Vim and not that user had to set it, no ?

IIRC, Vim sets it by concatenating $HOMEDRIVE and $HOMEPATH if it is not
$HOME does not exist.

Best,
Christian

12