vimvars: maxmem+maxmemtot dflt: xxkB or .5*totmem, whichever is what?: larger|smaller?

vimvars: maxmem+maxmemtot dflt: xxkB or .5*totmem, whichever is what?: larger|smaller?

L. A. Walsh
subject is the question.  for vim vars', maxmem, maxmemtot,
default is says XX(some os dependent value in kB) or half of memory.

Doesn't say if it picks smallest or largest.

Like: for read-only files , only create a swapfile
if it needs more than the given 'maxmem' or 'maxtotmem'.

Might make sense in some cases to use .5*(totmem), but
not so much these days.  Might make more sense to use
.5*(tot_availmem), but even that might not be good on
systems with many background processes that vary, largely
on the amount of memory used.

So first Q is, "for default, does it use the smaller or larger
value?"

If it uses "freemem", does it add the cache-memory
back to 'free' to get the "real free"

Thanks

Re: vimvars: maxmem+maxmemtot dflt: xxkB or .5*totmem, whichever is what?: larger|smaller?

Tony Mechelynck
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:15 PM, L A Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> subject is the question.  for vim vars', maxmem, maxmemtot,
> default is says XX(some os dependent value in kB) or half of memory.
>
> Doesn't say if it picks smallest or largest.
>
> Like: for read-only files , only create a swapfile
> if it needs more than the given 'maxmem' or 'maxtotmem'.
>
> Might make sense in some cases to use .5*(totmem), but
> not so much these days.  Might make more sense to use
> .5*(tot_availmem), but even that might not be good on
> systems with many background processes that vary, largely
> on the amount of memory used.
>
> So first Q is, "for default, does it use the smaller or larger
> value?"
>
> If it uses "freemem", does it add the cache-memory
> back to 'free' to get the "real free"
>
> Thanks

The value may depend on your installed memory and on your CPU's
wordsize. On my 64-bit machine with 8 GiB RAM, both 'maxmem' and
'maxmemtot' say 4015288 KiB. I think this "default: between 256 to
5120 (for 'maxmem') and between 2048 and 10240 (for 'maxmemtot'),
system dependent" mentioned in the help is a leftover from a time when
RAM sizes were much smaller than they are now.

But these maximum values are usually not reached: at the moment, the
Gnome System Monitor tells me that gvim is using 18 MiB, not 4 GiB,
and yet I have 10 windows open.

I don't know about buffers and cache. I suppose these two settings are
set at Vim startup and don't follow the evolution of memory use.