which terminal

sinbadd
what is the best terminal to use.i currently use putty i find that
the scrolling is dead slow when i open a diff window, i learnt
that the xterm terminal doesn't have the native split scrolling,
is there any terminal that is good at this. i googled and found
fbterm is one of those, but the development of this project has
stopped. have you been suffering from same problem and which terminal
do you use ?

-sinbad

Re: which terminal

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

On May 31, 2013 7:11 AM, "sinbad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what is the best terminal to use.i currently use putty i find that
> the scrolling is dead slow when i open a diff window, i learnt
> that the xterm terminal doesn't have the native split scrolling,
> is there any terminal that is good at this. i googled and found
> fbterm is one of those, but the development of this project has
> stopped. have you been suffering from same problem and which terminal
> do you use ?
>
> -sinbad

Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.

And WTF is "native split scrolling"?

By the way, AFAIK fbterm is a replacement for kernel built-in terminal. Xterm is an X11 terminal emulator.

> ---

Re: which terminal

Michael Hernandez-2
On May 31, 2013, at 2:05 AM, ZyX ZyX <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 31, 2013 7:11 AM, "sinbad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what is the best terminal to use.i currently use putty i find that
> the scrolling is dead slow when i open a diff window, i learnt
> that the xterm terminal doesn't have the native split scrolling,
> is there any terminal that is good at this. i googled and found
> fbterm is one of those, but the development of this project has
> stopped. have you been suffering from same problem and which terminal
> do you use ?
>
> -sinbad

Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.

And WTF is "native split scrolling"?

If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.

--Mike H

By the way, AFAIK fbterm is a replacement for kernel built-in terminal. Xterm is an X11 terminal emulator.

> ---

Re: which terminal

Hayaki Saito

Now vim and allmost all terminal applications support terminal-native horizontal split scrolling, but terminal-native "vertical" split scrolling is not supported by them. So vim redraws all cells in the target region and it may annoy us.

Actually, there are two ways to realize it on VT-like terminals.
The first way is using DECLRMM and DECSLRM (left and right margins) sequence supported by recent xterm.
The second is pseudo-scrolling with DECCRA (Copy Rectangular Area) sequence which is supported by recent xterm and other few terminals.

Both of them certainly cut off I/O latency and makes vertical scrolling more faster, especially when the terminal screen has over 10,000 cells.

Now the problem for vim is that these terminal features are not provided widely yet. on the other hand, I think, if a major text editor like vim supports it, the circumstances will changed.

See also :

-- Hayaki

On 2013/05/31, at 20:47, Michael Hernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 31, 2013, at 2:05 AM, ZyX ZyX <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 31, 2013 7:11 AM, "sinbad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what is the best terminal to use.i currently use putty i find that
> the scrolling is dead slow when i open a diff window, i learnt
> that the xterm terminal doesn't have the native split scrolling,
> is there any terminal that is good at this. i googled and found
> fbterm is one of those, but the development of this project has
> stopped. have you been suffering from same problem and which terminal
> do you use ?
>
> -sinbad

Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.

And WTF is "native split scrolling"?

If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.

--Mike H

By the way, AFAIK fbterm is a replacement for kernel built-in terminal. Xterm is an X11 terminal emulator.

> ---

Re: which terminal

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> > Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.
> > And WTF is "native split scrolling"?
>
> If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.

Such splitting is not a tiny bit helpful with diff split slowness problem. Thus I am assuming it is not what sinbad meant.

Re: which terminal

sinbadd
On Jun 1, 9:03 pm, ZyX <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.
> > > And WTF is "native split scrolling"?
>
> > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.
>
> Such splitting is not a tiny bit helpful with diff split slowness problem. Thus I am assuming it is not what sinbad meant.

> > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer

 no this is not what i want, i already use tmux and with split windows
and if one of the
window emitting lot of output the performance of tmux comes to halt, i
raised this
issue with tmux mailing lists as well, i was told that the with split
mode tmux has to
redraw the entire screen and hence the slowness.

i've been living with this for very long time, if i have a vertical
split tmux or vertical split
vim, the performance is very bad, there is noticeable lag for the
cursor movements.
hence my original question. i'm really surprised to know that others
like ZyX don't
see the problem like i do, may be something is wrong with my setup,
but i doubt
if that's the case.

-sinbad

Re: which terminal

Sam Roberts
Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
isn't directly related to the terminal.

Re: which terminal

sinbadd
On Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:30:07 PM UTC+5:30, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
>
> performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
>
> isn't directly related to the terminal.

i use courier new font. i connect to the linux server using putty.
i set the font in the putty client.

-sinbad