width of help text on a small device

tuxic
Hi,

on my 7" tablet (Android) I installed a chrooted Linux on which
in turn I installed vim (*not* gvim. *not* neovim. "vim" != "gvim" != "neovim".
The console version. The only one called simply "vim").

Unfortunately the tablet is not that wide.

With readable sized characters the width is not wide enough to display
the help pages in full width. Each line is either wrapped (looks
awfull and destroys any table and such) or you have to scroll back
and forth each line.

Is there a way to initially -- for example when doing "helptags" --
re-arrange the help pages to smaller sized widths?
How?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers
Meino

Re: width of help text on a small device

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> on my 7" tablet (Android) I installed a chrooted Linux on which
> in turn I installed vim (*not* gvim. *not* neovim. "vim" != "gvim" != "neovim".
> The console version. The only one called simply "vim").
>
> Unfortunately the tablet is not that wide.
>
> With readable sized characters the width is not wide enough to display
> the help pages in full width. Each line is either wrapped (looks
> awfull and destroys any table and such) or you have to scroll back
> and forth each line.
>
> Is there a way to initially -- for example when doing "helptags" --
> re-arrange the help pages to smaller sized widths?
> How?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> Cheers
> Meino

The help files in question are simple text files with some constructs
which have special meaning. Unlike e.g. ReST-based files which are
parsed into an AST and then converted into something else Vim help has
no structure, only plain text written in a manner “looks like
surrounding text + looks good for me + has (references to) tags where
needed”, so there is basically no way to automatically reformat Vim
help files and guarantee any good results. For the same reason all vim
help to HTML converters yield result which looks like in a editor -
and will have exactly the same problem if you try to view them in the
browser.

You may try setting &textwidth to something small enough and use `gq`,
but to have nicely looking results you cannot do this automatically.
And that will help you only in plain paragraphs: some tabs/spaces used
to right-align some text or a table and you are doomed and need to do
the thing manually without even `gq`.

> ---

Re: width of help text on a small device

Christian Brabandt
On Di, 18 Apr 2017, [hidden email] wrote:

> on my 7" tablet (Android) I installed a chrooted Linux on which
> in turn I installed vim (*not* gvim. *not* neovim. "vim" != "gvim" != "neovim".
> The console version. The only one called simply "vim").
>
> Unfortunately the tablet is not that wide.
>
> With readable sized characters the width is not wide enough to display
> the help pages in full width. Each line is either wrapped (looks
> awfull and destroys any table and such) or you have to scroll back
> and forth each line.
>
> Is there a way to initially -- for example when doing "helptags" --
> re-arrange the help pages to smaller sized widths?
> How?

What is your textwidth on the device? I believe the help pages are
written for a textwidth of 78 characters. Perhaps it is enough to set
'nowrap' to prevent wrapping. See also the answer from Zyx.

Best,
Christian
--
Schön ist eigentliches alles, was man mit Liebe betrachtet.
                -- Christian Morgenstern

Re: width of help text on a small device

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> On Di, 18 Apr 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> on my 7" tablet (Android) I installed a chrooted Linux on which
>> in turn I installed vim (*not* gvim. *not* neovim. "vim" != "gvim" != "neovim".
>> The console version. The only one called simply "vim").
>>
>> Unfortunately the tablet is not that wide.
>>
>> With readable sized characters the width is not wide enough to display
>> the help pages in full width. Each line is either wrapped (looks
>> awfull and destroys any table and such) or you have to scroll back
>> and forth each line.
>>
>> Is there a way to initially -- for example when doing "helptags" --
>> re-arrange the help pages to smaller sized widths?
>> How?
>
> What is your textwidth on the device? I believe the help pages are
> written for a textwidth of 78 characters. Perhaps it is enough to set
> 'nowrap' to prevent wrapping. See also the answer from Zyx.

&nowrap is “scroll back and forth” option mentioned by the OP.

I would also mention &wrapindent with &showbreak, but this is only
slightly better and still going to destroy tables as well, unless OP
adjusts &showbreak to match the table each time viewing different
table. Maybe that could be automated though.