windows keyboard question

VMI IMV

            Hello All,

I have the follwing problem/question.
I'd like to use alt-x for a quit-if-saved-otherwise-do-nothing function.
On one computer I cannot do this, and I suspect that this has
something to do with vim.
On linux, X.org, console, xterm it works.
On windows, there is an interesting problem:
under XP Pro +SP2, vim 6.3 does not recognize alt-x or some other
alt+key combinations and
dos command line (command.com) does not recornize up/down arrows,
while other apps (like AutoHotkey) recognizes them corretly.
  This is how I worked around this problem: AutoHotkey maps alt-x to alt-F4 .

My question is: can this problem be solved "inside" vim? Not using "external"
tools, since they are not always available to me.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
B.

-------------------------------------- Hirdetés --------------------------------------------------

Netezz korlátlanul szélessávon!
Olcsó ADSL akár 2 hét alatt!
Mire vársz még?
http://www.vipdsl.hu

Re: windows keyboard question

A.J.Mechelynck
VMI IMV wrote:

>             Hello All,
>

> I have the follwing problem/question.
> I'd like to use alt-x for a quit-if-saved-otherwise-do-nothing function.
> On one computer I cannot do this, and I suspect that this has
> something to do with vim.
> On linux, X.org, console, xterm it works.
> On windows, there is an interesting problem:
> under XP Pro +SP2, vim 6.3 does not recognize alt-x or some other
> alt+key combinations and
> dos command line (command.com) does not recornize up/down arrows,
> while other apps (like AutoHotkey) recognizes them corretly.
>   This is how I worked around this problem: AutoHotkey maps alt-x to alt-F4 .
>
> My question is: can this problem be solved "inside" vim? Not using "external"
> tools, since they are not always available to me.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
> B.

In my gvim (both 7.00aa snaphot 0079 and 6.3.075) in WinXP Home, Alt-x
is seen as equivalent to ?? (small o with bar, as used in some
Scandinavian languages).

How alt-keys are handled depends on 'winaltkeys' (q.v.).

Re: windows keyboard question

VMI IMV

Hello,

> In my gvim (both 7.00aa snaphot 0079 and 6.3.075) in WinXP Home, Alt-x
> is seen as equivalent to ø (small o with bar, as used in some
> Scandinavian languages).
>
> How alt-keys are handled depends on 'winaltkeys' (q.v.).

winaltkeys=no does not help unfortunately.
Alt-x gives small o (hex 6f).

The version is the "official" one, 6.3(.00),
 from www.vim.org.

Mire vársz még?
http://www.vipdsl.hu

VMI IMV wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > In my gvim (both 7.00aa snaphot 0079 and 6.3.075) in WinXP Home, Alt-x
> > is seen as equivalent to ???? (small o with bar, as used in some
> > Scandinavian languages).
> >
> > How alt-keys are handled depends on 'winaltkeys' (q.v.).
>
> winaltkeys=no does not help unfortunately.
> Alt-x gives small o (hex 6f).

That's strange. Here, even in console Vim, i (start Insert) followed by
Ctrl-V Alt-x (enter Alt-x literally) followed by Esc ga (show character
under cursor) gives

<??>  <|x>  <M-x>  248,  Hex f8,  Octal 370

> The version is the "official" one, 6.3(.00),
>  from www.vim.org.
>
> Regards,
>
> B.

Well, mine is compiled from the "official" sources, including 75
"official" patches (bugfixes), all downloaded from ftp.vim.org

I'm on WinXP Home; console vim has encoding=latin1 termencoding=cp850
while gvim has encoding=latin1 termencoding=

Re: windows keyboard question

VMI IMV

&gt; That's strange. Here, even in console Vim, i (start Insert) followed by
&gt; Ctrl-V Alt-x (enter Alt-x literally) followed by Esc ga (show character
&gt; under cursor) gives
&gt;
&gt;       248,  Hex f8,  Octal 370

I tried the same with cream-0.33, but it gives the same
small o.
What makes it even more interesting is that it works in windows console:
alt-x is recognized (hex f8).

&gt; I'm on WinXP Home; console vim has encoding=latin1 termencoding=cp850
&gt; while gvim has encoding=latin1 termencoding=

Console vim: tenc=cp852, tenc=cp1250.

So I really dont know what could be wrong.
(Other apps recognize alt-x without a hitch.)

Thanks for your help.