windows native small iconv

Yukihiro Nakadaira-2

Hi,

http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip

This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

--
Yukihiro Nakadaira - [hidden email]

Re: windows native small iconv

Edward L. Fox

On 9/10/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
>
> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

You mean that it only uses Win32 API and doesn't require libiconv.dll at all?

Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:

> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
>
> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

That is great.  So the libintl.dll from this Zip archive can directly
replace the libintl.dll that is included in the Vim runtime directory,
right?  Without the need for any other shared libraries?

A few suggestions:

Please mention what sources you used to generate the libraries.  They
are probably GPL'ed, thus you must provide the sources.  And mention
the license.

I assume you wrote win_iconv.c yourself.  Then you should mention the
copyright at the start of the file.  Otherwise the implied copyright
protection means that nobody can distribute this.  So I would not be
able to include it in the Vim distribution.  You can use the Vim license
to make it simpler for me.  Or use the Apache license, many people
recommend it.

It would be good to add a way to test this.  I assume you did a few
manual tests yourself, but doing "make test" to verify that everything
works as expected gives us much more confidence that it really works.
Especially if someone makes a few changes later.

--
ARTHUR:    Well, it doesn't matter.  Will you go and tell your master that
           Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.

Edward L. Fox wrote:
> On 9/10/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
>>
>> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
>> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
>
> You mean that it only uses Win32 API and doesn't require libiconv.dll at all?

Yes.  win_iconv does not depends on libiconv.dll.  By default,
MultiByteToWideChar() and WideCharToMultiByte() are used to conversion.
If $WINICONV_LIBICONV_DLL environment variable was defined, win_iconv
loads the specified DLL dynamically and uses it.  And if loading the DLL
or invoking iconv_open() failed, falls back to Windows native conversion.

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:
>
>> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
>>
>> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
>> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
>
> That is great.  So the libintl.dll from this Zip archive can directly
> replace the libintl.dll that is included in the Vim runtime directory,
> right?  Without the need for any other shared libraries?

Yes, it is.  It does not depends on any other DLL.

> A few suggestions:
>
> Please mention what sources you used to generate the libraries.  They
> are probably GPL'ed, thus you must provide the sources.  And mention
> the license.

I added the source of gettext to archive.  And mentioned to the license
in readme.txt.

> I assume you wrote win_iconv.c yourself.  Then you should mention the
> copyright at the start of the file.  Otherwise the implied copyright
> protection means that nobody can distribute this.  So I would not be
> able to include it in the Vim distribution.  You can use the Vim license
> to make it simpler for me.  Or use the Apache license, many people
> recommend it.

I selected the public domain.  But I will change the license if the
public domain is considered cause of trouble.

> It would be good to add a way to test this.  I assume you did a few
> manual tests yourself, but doing "make test" to verify that everything
> works as expected gives us much more confidence that it really works.
> Especially if someone makes a few changes later.

I will write test as soon as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions.

--
Yukihiro Nakadaira - [hidden email]