wish: Text-mode scrollbar

iler.ml
I use vim only in textmode. Sometimes I wish vim had optional textual scrollbar
optional scrollbar in textmode. And mouse= letter for it. So you can make mouse
respond only in text scrollbar.

Yakov

Re: wish: Text-mode scrollbar

Benjamin Fritz

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Yakov Lerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use vim only in textmode. Sometimes I wish vim had optional textual
> scrollbar
> optional scrollbar in textmode. And mouse= letter for it. So you can make
> mouse
> respond only in text scrollbar.
>
> Yakov

What do you mean by "textmode"? There is a deprecated option by this
name (:help 'textmode') but I don't think that is what you mean.

What do you want this "optional textual scrollbar" to do?

Re: wish: Text-mode scrollbar

Tim Chase

>> I use vim only in textmode. Sometimes I wish vim had
>> optional textual scrollbar optional scrollbar in textmode.
>> And mouse= letter for it. So you can make mouse respond only
>> in text scrollbar.
>>
>> Yakov
>
> What do you mean by "textmode"? There is a deprecated option
> by this name (:help 'textmode') but I don't think that is what
> you mean.
>
> What do you want this "optional textual scrollbar" to do?

I think Yakov is referencing using console-vim ("text mode")
rather than gvim ("GUI mode"), and wanting a scroll-bar in that
text-window.  In his case, it sounds like he's looking for an
interactive one:  I've seen a vimscript fly by that used the
ruler settings to display a "you are X% of the way through this
file" visually as a scrollbar...something like

   [------|--]

but it was passive information display (and a horizontal display
of a , not one for clicking on.

If you use gvim with scrollbars enabled, I think he's looking for
something in the console that will display his relative vertical
(and possibly horizontal?) position, and allow him to click on it
to scroll up/down by lines/screens, and possibly grab-and-drag
the slider to a position in the file; and likely an associated
option in the 'mouse' setting.  I've certainly not seen any such
creature in console-vim akin to gvim's scrollbars.

Re: wish: Text-mode scrollbar

Benjamin Fritz

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I use vim only in textmode. Sometimes I wish vim had
>>> optional textual scrollbar optional scrollbar in textmode.
>>> And mouse= letter for it. So you can make mouse respond only
>>> in text scrollbar.
>>>
>>> Yakov
>>
>> What do you mean by "textmode"? There is a deprecated option
>> by this name (:help 'textmode') but I don't think that is what
>> you mean.
>>
>> What do you want this "optional textual scrollbar" to do?
>
> I think Yakov is referencing using console-vim ("text mode")
> rather than gvim ("GUI mode"), and wanting a scroll-bar in that
> text-window.  In his case, it sounds like he's looking for an
> interactive one:  I've seen a vimscript fly by that used the
> ruler settings to display a "you are X% of the way through this
> file" visually as a scrollbar...something like
>
>   [------|--]
>
> but it was passive information display (and a horizontal display
> of a , not one for clicking on.
>
> If you use gvim with scrollbars enabled, I think he's looking for
> something in the console that will display his relative vertical
> (and possibly horizontal?) position, and allow him to click on it
> to scroll up/down by lines/screens, and possibly grab-and-drag
> the slider to a position in the file; and likely an associated
> option in the 'mouse' setting.  I've certainly not seen any such
> creature in console-vim akin to gvim's scrollbars.
>
> -tim

Hmm. You could probably hack some vimscript together, using a split
window for each scroll bar, and doing a <buffer> remap of the
<leftmouse>. Probably should set buftype=nofile as well. I don't think
it would be very easy, though.

Re: wish: Text-mode scrollbar

Joe78

On Jul 29, 9:56 am, "Benjamin Fritz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> What do you mean by "textmode"? There is a deprecated option
> >> by this name (:help 'textmode') but I don't think that is what
> >> you mean.
>
> >> What do you want this "optional textual scrollbar" to do?
>
> > I think Yakov is referencing using console-vim ("text mode")
> > rather than gvim ("GUI mode"), and wanting a scroll-bar in that
> > text-window.  In his case, it sounds like he's looking for an
> > interactive one:  I've seen a vimscript fly by that used the
> > ruler settings to display a "you are X% of the way through this
> > file" visually as a scrollbar...something like
>
> >   [------|--]
>
> > but it was passive information display (and a horizontal display
> > of a , not one for clicking on.
>
> > If you use gvim with scrollbars enabled, I think he's looking for
> > something in the console that will display his relative vertical
> > (and possibly horizontal?) position, and allow him to click on it
> > to scroll up/down by lines/screens, and possibly grab-and-drag
> > the slider to a position in the file; and likely an associated
> > option in the 'mouse' setting.  I've certainly not seen any such
> > creature in console-vim akin to gvim's scrollbars.
>
> > -tim
>
> Hmm. You could probably hack some vimscript together, using a split
> window for each scroll bar, and doing a <buffer> remap of the
> <leftmouse>. Probably should set buftype=nofile as well. I don't think
> it would be very easy, though.

I know that in xterm if you start with these options:

xterm -j -rightbar -sb -sl 1000

it gives you a scrollbar on the right.

Re: wish: Text-mode scrollbar

On 29/07/08 18:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:

>>> What do you mean by "textmode"? There is a deprecated option
>>> by this name (:help 'textmode') but I don't think that is what
>>> you mean.
>>>
>>> What do you want this "optional textual scrollbar" to do?
>> I think Yakov is referencing using console-vim ("text mode")
>> rather than gvim ("GUI mode"), and wanting a scroll-bar in that
>> text-window.  In his case, it sounds like he's looking for an
>> interactive one:  I've seen a vimscript fly by that used the
>> ruler settings to display a "you are X% of the way through this
>> file" visually as a scrollbar...something like
>>
>>    [------|--]
>>
>> but it was passive information display (and a horizontal display
>> of a , not one for clicking on.
>>
>> If you use gvim with scrollbars enabled, I think he's looking for
>> something in the console that will display his relative vertical
>> (and possibly horizontal?) position, and allow him to click on it
>> to scroll up/down by lines/screens, and possibly grab-and-drag
>> the slider to a position in the file; and likely an associated
>> option in the 'mouse' setting.  I've certainly not seen any such
>> creature in console-vim akin to gvim's scrollbars.
>>
>> -tim
>>

> Hmm. You could probably hack some vimscript together, using a split
> window for each scroll bar, and doing a<buffer>  remap of the
> <leftmouse>. Probably should set buftype=nofile as well. I don't think
> it would be very easy, though.

Hm. Split windows would need at least two lines (horizontal scrollbar)
or columns (vertical scrollbar): one for the window proper, and one for
the statusline or vertical separator. And you would have to map mouse
actions in that <buffer>.

        :exe 'normal' percent . '%'

might come in handy for vertical scrolling, see ":help N%". But maybe it
would be easier to learn the keyboard bindings for scrolling, see

        :help scroll.txt
and parts of
        :help motion.txt

Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.